Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What I miss about football growing up

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
When I was 15, I could do the day out on a fiver and have change, train fare from Crawley £1.50 half fare, Junior entrance fee £1.50, Programme £0.50, box of ten fags £0.80, chips from Sing Lee, £0.50.
I miss terraces, crowd surges, slide tackles, slam door trains, and the occassional BR donated toilet roll, for lobbing like a streamer at the game. The general rough and readiness of it all.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Standing with my mates at the same spot to see who turns up.
Walking to the ground and bumping into the players on their way there.
Waiting outside for autographs, and getting them.
Changing ends for free at half time.
Refusing to jump over the turnstile gate by the dodgy operator.
Only spending a Tanner on a programme.
ABC bubble gum cards with footballers on them, esp if an Albion player - Roy Jennings, RIP.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
When I was 15, I could do the day out on a fiver and have change, train fare from Crawley £1.50 half fare, Junior entrance fee £1.50, Programme £0.50, box of ten fags £0.80, chips from Sing Lee, £0.50.
I miss terraces, crowd surges, slide tackles, slam door trains, and the occassional BR donated toilet roll, for lobbing like a streamer at the game. The general rough and readiness of it all.

At a guess early to mid 80s ?
I remember buying a school boy pack of 10 JPS for 55p very early 80s

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
FB_IMG_1606339117999.jpg.7106a530755fc3db179b3f8785e1a912.jpg

Health and safety? What's that?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Swaying crowds and friendly bundles on terraces. It was all less sanitised and spontaneous, just turn up at the turnstile with your dosh.

No player diving.

No VAR delays.

Nailed it…..

No ‘screaming’ in agony either, when barely touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
At a guess early to mid 80s ?
I remember buying a school boy pack of 10 JPS for 55p very early 80s

I was 15 in '86, my individual prices might be a bit off, but could definitely do it with a fiver and get change. Turning 16 doubled up the train fare and entrance fee, but I could do it still for a fiver if I bunked the train.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Saturday's late Argus with John Vinicombe's match report.

Ah yes, the 'Classified'. Every large town or city had one - Football Pink (Manchester), the Green 'Un (Sheffield), etc.
Before the days of computerisation, they were all typeset but had 90% of the scores and up-to-date league tables. Not much reporting of the last 20 minutes or so, just the scorers and rarer sending-offs. Late results were in the 'stop press' at the foot of the back page.
In Manchester they were on the streets before 5.30 pm, with the imminent arrival resulting in crowds forming around the street corner paper-sellers.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The players , we have some great lads now , arguably the best squad in our history . But to see Ward and Mellor together is a sight to behold , and with Sully and Nobby , those are the times you can never get back . I genuinely feel sorry for the young Seagulls that missed that honour . .........But what is ahead ? .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here