Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What I Learned Tonight

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Solly, you say (it was a cross not a shot)

yes it was, but come on, how many times do you see that happen week in week out, and when it sneaks in every one pisses their pants raving about how the player chose the inch where the ball went it.

If you really looked at it I’d like to bet that literally dozens of goals are scored that way, or indeed intended shots end up as being a fluky cross.

Cut the guy some slack eh?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
All round a positive performace last night, although the quality of the opposition has to be taken into account.

From what I saw that was a full strength side that made the playoffs only a few weeks back, so perhaps a top level league 1 team. They all had a match last week so were probably a little more match fit than us. There are a lot of positives to take from that match and it can only boost overall team spirit.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...

It's my view.

Not sure I can explain it without a tactical essay. Essentially, Potter looks to exploit the half spaces. He wants his inside forward players to take up good positions in space and make good attacking decisions, pulling defenders out to create chances. He also expect the same players in transitions to shuttle wide to cut off passing lanes forcing the ball centrally.

Attacking wise, AliJ has something different undoubtedly but there is still some tactical naivety off the ball within the system. A few times last night he made decisions which put us under a lot of pressure and wasted opportunities (it's a similar story with Bernado in that respect) Against better teams this will be punished and it's a risk hence the trust aspect.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
It's my view.

Not sure I can explain it without a tactical essay. Essentially, Potter looks to exploit the half spaces. He wants his inside forward players to take up good positions in space and make good attacking decisions, pulling defenders out to create chances. He also expect the same players in transitions to shuttle wide to cut off passing lanes forcing the ball centrally.

Attacking wise, AliJ has something different undoubtedly but there is still some tactical naivety off the ball within the system. A few times last night he made decisions which put us under a lot of pressure and wasted opportunities (it's a similar story with Bernado in that respect) Against better teams this will be punished and it's a risk hence the trust aspect.

You’re right. You can’t.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's my view.

Last night I was surprised by the invention of his passing.

First up he flicked the ball into space but the striker hadn't continued his run.
Leaving me thinking 'oh great, here we go again'.

But from then on his final third passing was not only near perfect it was completely unpredictable.

His lay offs into space round and through Pompey players was quite exceptional not something I association with him.

As said at the time 'that game would have been a damp squib without Ali'.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
It's my view.

Thought his positioning was very good. Always wanted the ball and picked the best option near enough everytime. For example, with his goal he was trying to cut in to look for an option, when it wasn't on he used the space he created and launched a rocket. Quick time decision making is what we've been lacking in the final third. Off the ball he was everywhere, given the freedom to roam and not chained out left definitely suited him. While this might not be the way forward against some of the elite prem teams it could definitely benefit us when playing teams in and around us.

Genuinely cannot fault him for his performance last night despite the opposition, ran the show.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I genuinely think Ali J is one of the best football players at the club.

He just needs a little bit more time and space and he’s brilliant, but he’ll not get it in the premier league.

Portsmouth gave it to him though. Cheers guys. :thumbsup:

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I learned a few things. 1. Jahanbaksh needs to be given a run of games playing in a free role was quality tonight. 2. Steele more than capable to be the second keeper, 12 corners pompey had and Steele commanded the box well, made a great save and distribution was almost faultless. 3. We have some very good young players who can cover various positions 4. Burn is missing a finger 5. Portsmouth players for some reason hate Veltman 6. Reserve team is actually better than I thought. 7. Mac Allister arriving in the box late is something we don't see from any of our other midfielders. Encouraging performance but we still need squad investment.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Aye ...I was wondering if Sky were showing two versions of the game...we didn’t just avoid a banana skin...but dominated the game with some good football and scored four without reply...no complaints

This - and from a completely different set of players we were seeing glimpses of the flowing football we saw against Chelsea. Even the younger substitutes impressed.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I learnt that we are capable of winning a League Cup match :thumbsup:

Also, the strength in depth of the squad is really getting noticeable now - a completely different starting 11 from Saturday, and it still contained SIX full internationals, and the midfield trio of Gross, Propper and Stephens have been regular Premier League starters for the last three seasons.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Am one that has always hoped Ali would get a run in first team. One of problems of been one of relegation contenders in PL is managers first thought of wide players is how good are they at defending.. We have only just stayed in PL with this tactic but maybe time to be brave and go with with best attacking wide player.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

That the attitude across the squad looks to be spot on.. Senior players leading by example, youngsters hungry to get a chance, peripheral 1st XI players looking to prove a point. Of course this is what you hope or even expect, but it says a lot about the players that they genuinely saw it as an opportunity, and it says a lot about the coaching staff that they can instill that attitude into the squad.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Learnt Jayson Molumby has a brilliant engine and has some good pace and determination. Sort of runs a bit funny so you can see is giving it everything.

We need on of them in our squad. 100% player

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I was surprised by Stephens. Fast quick forward passing. It’s not just the youngsters that Potter is improving.

He did look back to his 'Championship' levels when he was one of our best players. I know it was against lower opposition and he's always been good when he's got time on the ball, but I wonder if he's been coasting a bit and the new competition for places has given him the kick up his arse he needed. He still let players run past him without giving chase which annoyed me, but a positive display with a decent array of passing.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
- Bernardo and Jahanbaksh are so frustrating. There is clearly a lot of potential there but it comes and goes and is often accompanied by dross. We saw both sides tonight.

- Gyokeres could be another Glenn Murray. Not yet... but there were signs. Worth watching.

- Veltman and Molumby are going to fit right into the first team squad.

- Keep Steele well away from the first team. If Walton is going to be away for long we desperately need something better.

All in all a good win without really getting out of third gear.

From watching that game you thought Gyökeres has Murray potential and Steele should do one? Blimey

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Am one that has always hoped Ali would get a run in first team. One of problems of been one of relegation contenders in PL is managers first thought of wide players is how good are they at defending.. We have only just stayed in PL with this tactic but maybe time to be brave and go with with best attacking wide player.

I think you could be right. We've been so worried about protecting ourselves and keeping our guard up that we've forgotten to hit back enough. Best form of defence as they say, although we've improved a fair bit on this under Potter.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
There is a lot of depth in the squad. IF we went down this year, we could lose a number of our first team and we would still be very competitive

This was my take - God forbid we were to get relegated from the EPL, we could lose [cash-in] on a few of our first team superstars [high-earners] and still be left with a very strong squad of [young] players that should be capable of being very competitive in the Championship.

Not sure B'muff, Watford & Norwich could say the same this year.
Last night we evidenced that we are building a very good squad - happy days.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We’ve got a solid squad and Portsmouth are terrible were the two main things I took from that match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here