Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "What [Brighton] does is also very bad"

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
I think this says more about Riquelme. As a player he was naturally gifted but an absolute arsehole. Cheated, hit and injured players, was lazy and threw his toys out the pram. He’s was like a petulant school child and although i know nothing of him now it sounds like he still has that in him

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
What is there to not feel great about?

Boca themselves negotiated a contract with Barco that included a release clause. Albion met that release clause.

What on earth have Albion done wrong in this instance?
Point taken.... and I don't think Albion have done anything wrong. Albion have a record of good relations with selling clubs... just not this time!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Sour grapes.

Just putting it out there for their fans showing that he doesn't agree with selling their crown jewels (understandably) and it's all the players fault.

Keeps him in the good books of the fans as it's now not his fault.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not sure how relations between Brighton and Boca really are.
They allowed us to take Mac Allister back from a season loan when he reached the points requirement for a work permit earlier than expected, the Albion statement at the time was very appreciative of Boca allowing that. With Barco, Albion made an offer that would actually be more expensive for Albion, but because of league levies, player bonus and taxes, it worked out worse in the short term for Boca, though with the potential for a future significant sum, which would also have been subject to the levies.
I think they wanted Barco to sign up to a contract with a 14M buy out and for Albion to pay that. If Albion indicated that might be a sum they couldn't go to, you can understand the player refusing, and Albion leaning on him to do so. It would be a shame if the relationship has soured, so I hope his words are for the fans rather than any real bitterness.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Sour grapes.

Just putting it out there for their fans showing that he doesn't agree with selling their crown jewels (understandably) and it's all the players fault.

Keeps him in the good books of the fans as it's now not his fault.
Riquelme has been president for just over a month so losing a star player immediately is not a great start to his reign...I'm sure like all wannabe politicians he made various promises for votes...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure how relations between Brighton and Boca really are.
They allowed us to take Mac Allister back from a season loan when he reached the points requirement for a work permit earlier than expected, the Albion statement at the time was very appreciative of Boca allowing that.
unless I’m mistaken, we had to pay them half a million pounds or something, to get our own player back!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Not sure we've made many friends in Boca, based on an interview that their President, Juan Román Riquelme, has recently given...

"I had to be a soccer player and I don't know if I did well or not or better than him. They came to me to look for a lot of teams, but I said no. The decision is up to the player. The representative wants to convince you and then the family too, but the one who signs the role is the player. What he did for me is very bad," Riquelme shot to break the ice in a previously monochrome interview with ESPN.​
And he didn't stay there. Among ironic comments, the brand new boss of the Xeneize also launched questions against the representative of the soccer player, Adrián Ruocco, and also against the actions of the directors of Brighton.​
"What the European club does is also very bad. But the decision is always made by the player," complained Riquelme, visibly obfuscated by the way Barco and his agent, who is an old acquaintance in Boca for his link with Carlos Tevez, were handled.​

f*** 'em.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In this instance where a player has a release clause, it seems like we did something quite honorable in giving Boca the chance to potentially profit in the future from a sell-on clause. Objectively, I can't really see how that can be construed as behaving badly. It's not our issue if the player has a low release clause in his contract, that's between his agent and Boca.
This.

Obviously pissed at losing a first team player, but smacks of sour grapes.

You give a player a buy out clause on terms you agreed with and sign that deal, but then throw a little hissy fit if players excersices it?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The guy can whine as much as he likes. We wanted to buy, the player wanted to come to Europe and his contract allowed it. Nothing much Boca could do but, well, whine. Like they are now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here