Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We're Top For Conceding Penalties

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
BHA have conceded more penalties than any other Premier League team so far this season. Most of them have been quite harsh but tonight's against Everton was a bit of a calamity. Why are we conceding so many penalties, is it poor refereeing?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
BHA have conceded more penalties than any other Premier League team so far this season. Most of them have been quite harsh but tonight's against Everton was a bit of a calamity. Why are we conceding so many penalties, is it poor refereeing?
I think it’s because we keep fouling opposition players in our box.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Villa one wasn’t a penalty, clear dive by Ings

Wolves one wasn’t a penalty, ridiculous handball decision which most agreed wasn’t a handball offence

Saints one wasn’t a penalty, outside the box that wouldn’t be given as a free-kick

Man City is a debatable one

Everton was a penalty

Brentford was a penalty

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
De Zerbi ball leaves us a bit vulnerable at the back

We are often not in a good shape when we lose the ball in the final third.
That is what probably push us above the other teams.

If Bob could improve his Penalty save percentage it wouldn't be so much of a problem

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think it’s because we keep fouling opposition players in our box.
Yup think this is definitely the answer.

Could be wrong but can't remember any of the penalties being blatantly wrong. But don't really remember most of them tbf.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Could be wrong but can't remember any of the penalties being blatantly wrong. But don't really remember most of them tbf.
There was a lot of debate about the Wolves one.
I thought it probably was ( by current handball standards)

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Villa one wasn’t a penalty, clear dive by Ings

Wolves one wasn’t a penalty, ridiculous handball decision which most agreed wasn’t a handball offence

Saints one wasn’t a penalty, outside the box that wouldn’t be given as a free-kick

Man City is a debatable one

Everton was a penalty

Brentford was a penalty
yes it was. dunk dived in and ings got the ball first. we'd be fuming if that wasn't given for us

agree. never saw it hit his hand but it was incredibly silly to dive in with his hands raised like that

agree. it was very, very soft.

agree but they should've got one earlier

agree

agree

end of the day we've given for too many away for whatever reason

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Remarkable that only one (Villa) of them affected the result.
Rest - consolations to them (Wolves, Saints, Everton) or lost by 2 clear goals (City, Brentford, )

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tonights wouldn't have got as far as a penalty if the ref had done his job properly. Lamptey darted round one of their players down the right, beat him all ends up and was then CLEARLY tugged back from behind - but he didn't hit the deck. Two passes later the ball was in our box, and you know the rest.

I mentioned it on the main matchday thread, but this is EXACTLY why players go down easily. If they don't, then the the ref is almost always blind to the foul. A rancid piece of refereeing.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
De Zerbi ball leaves us a bit vulnerable at the back

We are often not in a good shape when we lose the ball in the final third.
That is what probably push us above the other teams.

If Bob could improve his Penalty save percentage it wouldn't be so much of a problem
Playing out from the back is the way to go , true footballing teams play football not hoofball , but it has to be done under our terms . Sometimes it looks as if we are being eyed up like a hungry man and we are the starters , they have several players forward waiting for just one bad pass and it ends in tragedy .

Playing out from the back is imho played the best by those teams that choose when to draw opposition players forward and break quickly , not to do it every single time as to be abundantly obvious . The lads we have are intelligent and can pick and choose when to play from the back or play to the wings , this has to be game to game minute by minute shirley , and not written in stone .

We have lost a couple of pens and a couple more easy goals from cocking this up because we think it has to be done the same way every time . If they know we are going to repeat ourselves where is our chance for surprise . Even watching some very good lower league sides mix it up a little shows that while beautiful football is desirable , ultimately results are the true goal . ( see what i did there :) )

Sorry for stating the obvious , but we are still doing it :shrug:

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If you attack attack attack it leaves our defenders more exposed. Not surprising really. I'd take it gladly though if it means we are getting 3 or 4 goals down the other end regularly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you attack attack attack it leaves our defenders more exposed. Not surprising really. I'd take it gladly though if it means we are getting 3 or 4 goals down the other end regularly.
I'd echo this. We probably take more risks defensively than anyone else in the league. Our players are often in the position of not having the luxury of someone backing them up or on the cover.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The Saints one was a joke, the player just ran into Gross who had nowhere to go

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Positive is that we aren’t top for being awarded penalties…apart from the World Cup winner I’m not too confident we’d score many of them 😉

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
VAR doesn't like us ;)
The only dodgy VAR decision I remember going in our favour was the one Connolly got when a player jumped for a ball and came down on Aaron’s foot (Everton at the Amex?)

Any others?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here