Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're so close to being in a playoff spot

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Wish I shared your confidence. Defeat at Cardiff and we could be playing catch up again. Fans on here seem to think we are suddenly going to catch fire and go on a winning run. There were spells on Tuesday night when we played our best football of the season but we still didn't win. Why?
1) We can't close out games due to our lack of firepower. Nothing has changed in this respect all season. We simply don't score enough goals.
2) We still switch off and concede sloppy goals.
3) The manager feels he has to pick a team for each different opposition. We won on Saturday yet he makes three changes,none of them enforced, for Tuesday night. If he keeps tinkering and changing his mind, we will not make progress.
4) The teams above us are more clinical and professional. They do not shoot themselves in the foot as much as we do.
On paper, we look good enough but too many games see too many players not firing on all cylinders. Buckley was virtually a passenger on Tuesday. If he wasn't fully fit, he shouldn't have started. If he can't play with Vincente ( i.e he is overawed by him and concedes possession to him at every opportunity, then they shouldn't start together ) If Vincente doesn't trust Buckley with the ball, then Gus should be able to spot this and not play them together. Bruno seems to start ok then fade badly. If he isn't fully fit, he shouldn't be playing. He was run ragged second half by Hull ( how he got the sponsor's MOM was mind-blowingly baffling! ) but we got away with it, thanks to TK.
There is just too much inconsistency within the squad and from the manager to really convince me that we can push on for top six. I hope to be proved wrong.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Wish I shared your confidence. Defeat at Cardiff and we could be playing catch up again. Fans on here seem to think we are suddenly going to catch fire and go on a winning run. There were spells on Tuesday night when we played our best football of the season but we still didn't win. Why?
1) We can't close out games due to our lack of firepower. Nothing has changed in this respect all season. We simply don't score enough goals.

Dont agree, This has been true of most of the home games this season, but this time it was about good old fashioned bad luck in my opinion. Ulloa header was going in until it their CH on the back, Hammonds header hit the keeper on the shoulder and stayed out he hadn't even moved etc etc. First half was different

Impossible to disagree, what a poor goal, free header, no one on the post

3) The manager feels he has to pick a team for each different opposition. We won on Saturday yet he makes three changes,none of them enforced, for Tuesday night. If he keeps tinkering and changing his mind, we will not make progress.

It's a squad game played over 46 games, he is entitled to rotate, in fact he would be mad not too

4) The teams above us are more clinical and professional. They do not shoot themselves in the foot as much as we do.
On paper, we look good enough but too many games see too many players not firing on all cylinders. Buckley was virtually a passenger on Tuesday. If he wasn't fully fit, he shouldn't have started. How do you get players match fit without playing them, Buckley is a key man for us If he can't play with Vincente ( i.e he is overawed by him and concedes possession to him at every opportunity, then they shouldn't start together ) If Vincente doesn't trust Buckley with the ball, then Gus should be able to spot this and not play them together. Bruno seems to start ok then fade badly. If he isn't fully fit, he shouldn't be playing. He was run ragged second half by Hull ( how he got the sponsor's MOM was mind-blowingly baffling! ) but we got away with it, thanks to TK.

Injuries to key men through the season means we have rarely had a full squad to select from, now we have. Key will be keeping them fit, I think we can make the play offs if the promise of Tues night is maintained. I am surprised how few on here seem excited by how much better we were than Blackburn a team who came to us with successive away wins and were blown away for the majority of that game

There is just too much inconsistency within the squad and from the manager to really convince me that we can push on for top six. I hope to be proved wrong.

Is this to do with injuries as much as anything else. I guess we are about to see, but I think we can still achieve something if we can maintain the level of performance we showed Tues night

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Semi agree and disagree.

I agree in part. We already look more of a threat with Ulloa and it all depends on how long it takes for him to be fully in tune with everything we do
I also agree
I disagree. He made a point on Saturday of saying how knackered the players were and the team he played on Tuesday was an improvement performance wise
You say that but Boro lost five on the bounce before beating Leeds and Palace have won about 4 in twenty.
On paper, we look good enough but too many games see too many players not firing on all cylinders. Buckley was virtually a passenger on Tuesday. If he wasn't fully fit, he shouldn't have started. If he can't play with Vincente ( i.e he is overawed by him and concedes possession to him at every opportunity, then they shouldn't start together ) If Vincente doesn't trust Buckley with the ball, then Gus should be able to spot this and not play them together. Vicente prefers Barnes from what I saw last season and Buckly is out of form. When Barnes returns, he'll play and the right flank will be used moreBruno seems to start ok then fade badly. If he isn't fully fit, he shouldn't be playing. He was run ragged second half by Hull ( how he got the sponsor's MOM was mind-blowingly baffling! ) but we got away with it, thanks to TK Agree with that wholeheartedly, Calderon should be starting in that position for me.
There is just too much inconsistency within the squad and from the manager to really convince me that we can push on for top six. I hope to be proved wrong. Me too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here