Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We're 3 players from being a top 10 side

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
In my opinion we need 3 top quality players in order to become a top ten side.

1: Goalkeeper. Ryan is a ok and has done well for us, however I think we need someone better if we are going to kick-on. Preferably someone who can reach the corners.

2: Centre Mid. Someone who has the ability to score goals and become the engine in our side and really make us tick.

3: Striker (obvs). A new Glenn / Bobby. Big, strong, quick and can get us 15+ a season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Harsh on Ryan. He's not world class but ultimately he clearly has the trust of the defence which is why we're solid at the back. Apart from that, there is little to disagree with. I think Bissouma (who is getting better with every passing game) could be that engine you refer to next season, but Stephens needs replacing now. He's been a good servant, stayed with the club to get us over the line when asked, but unfortunately he's not quite good enough anymore.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Harsh on Ryan. He's not world class but ultimately he clearly has the trust of the defence which is why we're solid at the back. Apart from that, there is little to disagree with. I think Bissouma (who is getting better with every passing game) could be that engine you refer to next season, but Stephens needs replacing now. He's been a good servant, stayed with the club to get us over the line when asked, but unfortunately he's not quite good enough anymore.

I thought Biss made a lot of mistakes last night and looked a liability in my eyes.

Hopefully it was just not a good night for him. Stephens however barely even hit my radar, I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you were to suggest three parts of our team which should be improved, GK would not be on my list.

We need a new left back before we need a new goalkeeper. No insult to Dan Burn who has done well but it's not his natural position and he's been a good stand-in rather than a proper long-term solution.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

This. Ryan might not be the tallest goalie in the world, but what he lacks in height he more than makes up for in agility and speed and
shot-stopping. Tall keepers may well have the advantage in the air, but that's the defence's gig as well, not just the goalie's

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

1: Goalkeeper. Ryan is a ok and has done well for us, however I think we need someone better if we are going to kick-on. Preferably someone who can reach the corners.

2: Centre Mid. Someone who has the ability to score goals and become the engine in our side and really make us tick.

3: Striker (obvs). A new Glenn / Bobby. Big, strong, quick and can get us 15+ a season.

Just an additional striker who can score 15+ goals would do the trick, the other players are already good enough.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020

I very much agree with your sentiment.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Disagree that Ryan needs to be replaced. More than adequate keeper for a top 10 team.
Bissouma is the centre-mid you are looking for, and with Molumby coming through, I don't necessarily see a need to bring in someone expecting to be a guaranteed starter.
I'm sure we will continue to bring in strikers who we hope will make it, but buying in a big, strong, quick, guaranteed 15+ goals, is out of our budget and will not happen.

Personally I think wealready have the players we need to become established in the top 10.
It's just they are all young and will be developing over the next 2, 3 seasons.

The progress made with our young players this season is no accident.
Excellent recruitment at youth level and fantastic facilities are starting to come good.
It's worth noting that our loan players are highly regarded, and our under 23s are sitting third in PL2 ahead of Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I do think Ryan is a good keeper and his agility is great. However any shot near the corners I just don't have any confidence in him getting there. I also don't think hes the best with his feet and passing as some others in the league. I realise what i'm asking for here is a top top keeper but I think if we want to be top ten in the best league in the world, thats just what we need.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Careful.. some here will accuse you of not being a real fan.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Id swap out ryan, who I think most agree is more than adequate for some pace/trickery in the wide areas. Someone like Izquierdo, but who isn't sadly permanantly crocked

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think we’re only a couple of players short . Someone to replace Stephens who can contribute with 5-7 goals a season and another striker to help Maupay . Connolly not yet at PL level in my view although he will hopefully improve .

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I disagree with a lot of the comments about Maty Ryan. I know plenty of people I've spoken to who support top six clubs that would prefer Ryan over (for eg) Leno, Lloris, De Gea because he doesn't really make mistakes unlike the three mentioned there. On the height thing, he's taller than Iker Casillas and he was a pretty decent 'keeper. I actually think that given the amount of pressure he's put under, he's actually very good with his feet too.

On the midfield, I do agree. A midfielder that can score a goal or two would be brilliant. Trossard has found his feet of late and has really improved, but other than that I never expect Stephens of Propper to even try and shoot, let alone get it on target. Bissouma's problem is that he does shoot, but he's ****ing awful at it.

And up front, with a full season under his belt, Connelly could grow into that striker we need, but I do think a striker that gives us a different option would be of value.

Finally, left back is the one for me. Look at the impact Lamptey has had on the right. Fast, attacking, can ACTUALLY cross and defend too. I know he's likely to be a rare steal from a top club, but imagine if our left back carried the same threat? That plus Lamptey and two from Dunk, Webster and White would be a fantastic defensive platform on which to build.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I thought Biss made a lot of mistakes last night and looked a liability in my eyes.

Hopefully it was just not a good night for him. Stephens however barely even hit my radar, I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cant agree with that. Thought he had more drive when he came on than Proper and Stephens have managed since the entire restart

Ryan is good enough.

CF
CM
LB

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think we’re only a couple of players short . Someone to replace Stephens who can contribute with 5-7 goals a season and another striker to help Maupay . Connolly not yet at PL level in my view although he will hopefully improve .

Name me one defensive midfielder who contributed 5-7 goals a season that we could get and not £100m? I'll take him if he exists! For context, Kante has scored 5 goals in a season twice playing for Chelsea.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I have high hopes for Molumby next season. He has always been a good passer, but now looks strong and athletic. Like Bissouma he likes a tackle, maybe doesn't have the flare, but could add a little more discipline I think.

Given we have been solid at the back and that Lamptey has injected some much needed pace, I think we may have the foundations for a fast counter attacking style next season, this might suit Connolly as well.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
On the midfield, I do agree. A midfielder that can score a goal or two would be brilliant. Trossard has found his feet of late and has really improved, but other than that I never expect Stephens of Propper to even try and shoot, let alone get it on target. Bissouma's problem is that he does shoot, but he's ****ing awful at it.

Did you miss his shot against Norwich. Really nasty one for the keeper to deal with.
He isn't awful at shooting, quite the opposite.
He's just young and is trying to score 30 yard screamers too often, rather than being ready for a genuine opportunity.

I would rather the chances that have fallen to Propper and Stephens over the past few seasons, fell to Bissouma.
Equally I would like Bissouma to be more circumspect about what is and isn't a shooting opportunity ( I think he is getting better at this tbh)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If West Ham go down, Soucek's loan-to-buy doesn't happen and he is available from his loaning club.

Whilst last night's result makes it less likely that West Ham will finish above us, they are very unlikely to go down with games against Norwich, Watford and Villa to come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here