Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done AP McCoy

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
An excellent achievement. Great that he achieved it at a course like Towcester and not one of the bigger ones. Good they get to share in the limelight. I reckon he will beat Pipe's number of winners and give up.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
Ruby Walsh has won all of the above on multiple occasions. Is the all time leading jockey at the Cheltenham Festival and is every inch as good as McCoy.....Please note I am in no way putting down McCoys fantastic achievement in anyway shape or form. Without going into great detai,l I would guess he has probably had twice as many rides as Walsh....In truth there's not a fag paper between them, but i'd rather be on Ruby in a driving finish up the hill come the second week in March. But then I'd probably rather be on AP in a photo at Newton Abbot and a Monday afternoon.

Both fantastic jockey's and I know you're not putting down AP's achievement at all. In AP's defence with regards to Cheltenham Ruby has been in the unbelievable situation of getting to chose between Nicholls and Mullins runners whereas AP's only first call's are Jon Jo and all JP trained horses. Ruby's timing and ability to ease a horse into a race is unbelievable but on the other hand AP's Cheltenham ride such as on Wichita lineman was pure drive and determination. AP never seems to leave anything behind but give me Ruby or a few other's to educate and get horses into a rhythm

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Pathetic post

Dear oh dear. Someone has seriously got the wrong end of the stick. My reply to the original post was a ligt hearted response to the thread title ( see smiley). If I wanted to be a moaning old bugger about A P McCoy's achievement I probably would have used the w@nker smiley. Todays record total wins ( and the losers total that I posted ) just goes to show what a hard working professional the man is. P.s lighten up a little.:thumbsup:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Lester Piggott only managed 4,493 winners during his career

He rode almost 5 decades to get to that amount too. Flat jockeys' careers tend, on the whole, to last longer than jump jockeys because of the impact of the accumulation of injuries that jump jockeys get as an occupational hazard.

That's why McCoy's total is unlikely to be beaten in any of our lifetimes. There are more race meetings now and jockeys can ride at more than one meeting in a day now which they wouldn't have done in the past, even when the likes of Francome and Scudamore were racking up the winners, but I still think they would have fallen short of the total even with the greater opportunities now. He's also very nearly 40 years old which is usually retirement age for jump jockeys, but he's showing no immediate signs of calling time on his career.

As great an achievement as getting to 4000 winners is, I'd say an even better achievement is that I think he has won 18 consecutive national hunt jockeys' titles, dating back to 1996! Considering the potential for injury in his sport as well as the quality of other jockeys who had retainers with some of the best stables during that time, to win your sport's championship 18 years running is a staggering achievement.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lester Piggott only managed 4,493 winners during his career
AP has had a hell of a lot more races to ride in.
Piggott wasn't working evenings and Sundays, plus had defined seasons, not all year all weather.

Also best not forget LP had 'other' time away from the track!!

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Not sure about that, Ruby would be my choice. I am not putting down what McCoy has achieved, but I reckon 50% of his winners have been odds on shots for Pipe and O'Neill and bread and butter meets like today's. But that's fair play to the man for doing it, you only get to ride the best by being the best and McCoy has been the best for the last twenty years. Is he better than Ruby today, that's debatable.

Tbf, I'd guess that a much higher percentage of Ruby's winners have been shorties for Nicholls and Willie Mullins than AP's have for Jonjo. Fwiw, I'd have AP in a driving finish over Ruby every day of the week. If you want a jockey to finesse a hold up type home though then AP would be streets behind Ruby. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
Tbf, I'd guess that a much higher percentage of Ruby's winners have been shorties for Nicholls and Willie Mullins than AP's have for Jonjo. Fwiw, I'd have AP in a driving finish over Ruby every day of the week. If you want a jockey to finesse a hold up type home though then AP would be streets behind Ruby. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Total agreement, see earlier post

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

That ride on Wichita Lineman (video below) was something else to illustrate your point. He simply wasn't entitled to win but he somehow managed to and that is his genuis. How he keeps his drive and hunger I don't know. This isn't like Tiger Woods knocking a few balls down tha range to keep his eye in, this is 7 days a week work to far flung places to ride a winner in a Seller or a maiden whilst worrying about making his weight all day every day. He must be mad or a workaholic.

That Francome stat sums it up. 1000 is a cracking achievment. 4000 is unlikely to be ever repeated. Legend is an over used word but in this case totally justified.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...6543/william-hill-trophy-handicap-chase/video

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
AP has had a hell of a lot more races to ride in.
Piggott wasn't working evenings and Sundays, plus had defined seasons, not all year all weather.

Also best not forget LP had 'other' time away from the track!!

The big but is LP was riding on the flat. The possibility of serious injury or broken bones is dramatically increased over jumps. There is simply no way that McCoy could carry on into his 50's let along nearer 60 (I think LP went onto 59)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here