Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Weber "A" Ankle Fracture. Anyone with experience?

boik

Mrs B suffered an ankle fracture about 8 weeks ago. The bone has obviously healed, and she can walk on it, but the pain is still pretty intense. She has a high pain threshold (I once hit her on the head with a sledgehammer and she just rubbed her head!) so I know the pain is genuinely high. Anyone been through this and remember how long it lasts and if they found anything to help? It seems like the pain is not so much from walking on it, and comes even with her foot up. I think it is the ligament damage that is causing the pain now rather than the bone damage.

I'm guessing one of you amateur footballers has had similar?

Jul 7, 2003
I would go to the docs and request an x-ray. It could be there is some debris floating around in there that is causing an issue.

boik

I would go to the docs and request an x-ray. It could be there is some debris floating around in there that is causing an issue.

Sorry, just seen your reply. Shes had another scan which was OK, so I guess that leaves soft tissue damage. Probably just a case of time, but just wondered if anyone else had any experiences I could share to reassure her.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wanna hear more about the sledgehammer incident...

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, just seen your reply. Shes had another scan which was OK, so I guess that leaves soft tissue damage. Probably just a case of time, but just wondered if anyone else had any experiences I could share to reassure her.

Is she having physio? If not, I would book her into a physio to assess the situation. Could be there are issues with the are surrounding the ligaments which are causing pressure and causing the pain. I had issue after ankle surgery where the muscles had got tight which in turn were pulling tight across the ligaments.

Hopefully she will find the cause soon and be pain free.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Had Weber B fracture 5 years ago. Two surgeries with plates, bolt and screws and loads of physio. Back running 2yrs later , nice scar (fading nicely now) and several half marathons done with no issues.

boik

I wanna hear more about the sledgehammer incident...

Ha ha. Yes, it was an accident, honest. She was holding a pergola pole at a safe arms length while I whacked it. Unfortunately the head flew off the borrowed hammer and smacked her on the head. She fell to the ground without a sound and I thought I might have killed her!

We borrowed another sledgehammer, tested it and she was happy to hold the pole again to finish the job although she did wear her riding hat. She's a great woman Mrs B.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
A couple of years back, my foot was really swollen, I was limping etc, but I hadn't actually hurt it in any way.
Went to hospital, had X-ray done and it showed nothing but the swelling was pretty immense so they referred me to the Horder centre where I had another X-ray. The doc there noticed there was a dark line around my bone even though there was no sign of damage so he sent me for a CT scan. Luckily this showed I had seven fractures in my ankle and a huge split up my shin. The dark line on the X-ray was fluid from my bone marrow as it was becoming infected. They also did a dexa-scan which showed I have osteopenia which is why my bones were suffering so much.
If she's still experiencing pain then make sure she argues the toss with them as it may very well be missed with a normal x-ray machine and she may have an underlying issue.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Twisting my ankle a few years ago I had soft tissue damage and bone brushing on crutches for ten weeks took 6 months I’m sorry to say . One needs rest other needs slight physio . Best advice I can give is a little exercise u til pain then elevate ice and rest .Also best physio I did was treading water across a swimming pool as weight resistance helps a lot
Good luck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here