Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are no better than last season

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It might be worth mentioning that very few teams are better than last year. The small gap between the two seasons and the relatively quiet transfer markets have meant that two out of three of the promoted sides will probably be going down and at least two of the three relegated sides will be coming back up. Aston Villa started very well, but recently the old defensive issues have returned and they're still poor if Grealish is absent. West Ham are the exception. They solved their defensive organisation problem with Dawson's loan. They already had some very good players and have probably been the team to have most benefited from the absence of fans, given how poisonous things had got at their home matches.

We haven't made progress in scoring goals. We're averaging the same goal a game that we did last year. We've made progress in controlling games and in defensive solidity against the better sides. We all know where our problems lie and, if we are going to make a step forward next year, we'll have to turn long periods of domination into goals, stop the occasional defensive sloppiness / overreaching in pursuit of goals that has given opposition forwards chances in open spaces, and find a way of unlocking the low block sides. A whole season of a fully fit Lamptey could help the latter. Perhaps we fans can also help make the difference ourselves when they let us back into the Amex. I suspect that some of the away teams' backs to the wall defensive performances that have been our undoing at home this year could have been a lot more wobbly had we been able to scare them into a few errors.

The playing style is different, but in tone, Potter seems much like Hughton. He's intelligent, decent, modest and quiet. He's not going to reveal a lot to the media. Some of us will get irritated because we may perceive the forward-defensive approach to interviews as a lack of passion rather than the 'don't get too high, don't get too low' style that the players have praised both managers for. Its probably fair to say that, as fans, its our privilege to rage and throw our toys when things go wrong, but that doing so as a manager probably doesn't do the playing group many favours.

The publishing of the accounts have perhaps suggested good reason why this was not going to be the season to make the big push. We may have to accept that circumstances dictate that it might not be next year either. In the past Tony's investment pushes seem to have come in cycles. The signing of younger prospects suggests that forward planning of the squad is now his preferred way forward. Personally, I would never want our chairman to gamble everything on big signings on big wages. I'm still far too haunted by the memory of considering whether the club would be here for my kids to support. In taking this view, I have to accept the disadvantage too. We are always going to be trying to punch above our weight and that this means that we will occasionally get flattened. To overstretch the metaphor, we've still looked like a cruiser weight fighting the super-heavies. We haven't developed a knockout punch, but we've looked a bit quicker on our feet and more capable of getting a points victory from any opponent. A bit more knowledge of the dark arts in the clinch wouldn't go amiss next year, but it looks like progress rather than regression.

All of that. Top work.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ralph Hasenhüttl gets the same type of polarisation of Southampton fans.

I think most view him as a good fit and doing well. There are many Saints fans who don't agree with that though and think they should be doing a lot better.

And that's because their results are similarly inconsistent. A side who will likely finish above us again this season yet have lost 9-0 twice in successive seasons. A side that can get to a cup semi final yet look like relegation fodder for long-ish periods. No wonder their fans are up and down like the proverbial keks of the lady of the night.

I've been called "reactionary", "short term", "bi Polar" and "inconsistent" but is it any wonder when we have a side that can beat Spurs and Liverpool, massacre Newcastle twice and hold a very good Chelsea side, yet have conceded 4 points each to West Brom, Palace and Sheffield United (yes, however unluckily, there's still a pattern there) and failed to score in our last three games despite praise for our footballing style. Not to mention one of the worst home records in the whole country.

It's infuriating and football fans are easily infuriated. Long term plans are great for the boardroom, brochure and bank but once we're back at the ground the fans will expect good results at home or the place will get very rancorous, very quickly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And that's because their results are similarly inconsistent. A side who will likely finish above us again this season yet have lost 9-0 twice in successive seasons. A side that can get to a cup semi final yet look like relegation fodder for long-ish periods. No wonder their fans are up and down like the proverbial keks of the lady of the night.

I've been called "reactionary", "short term", "bi Polar" and "inconsistent" but is it any wonder when we have a side that can beat Spurs and Liverpool, massacre Newcastle twice and hold a very good Chelsea side, yet have conceded 4 points each to West Brom, Palace and Sheffield United (yes, however unluckily, there's still a pattern there) and failed to score in our last three games despite praise for our footballing style. Not to mention one of the worst home records in the whole country.

It's infuriating and football fans are easily infuriated. Long term plans are great for the boardroom, brochure and bank but once we're back at the ground the fans will expect good results at home or the place will get very rancorous, very quickly.

You, [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION], myself, et al, are just typical football supporters, weekends made and (kind of) ruined by football results. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions,

This is not a new phenomena due to social media.

Supporters have always moaned when it’s warranted, been elevated to cloud nine watching goals scored and a win.

Wins in our 147 games have been rare, so it’s inevitable that folk get thoroughly p*ssed off and vent their spleen.

Imho it’s natural and healthy to externalise it.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

I've been called '*_*' "reactionary", "short term", "bi Polar" and "inconsistent" but is it any wonder when we have a side that can beat Spurs and Liverpool, massacre Newcastle twice and hold a very good Chelsea side, yet have conceded 4 points each to West Brom, Palace and Sheffield United (yes, however unluckily, there's still a pattern there) and failed to score in our last three games despite praise for our footballing style. Not to mention one of the worst home records in the whole country.

*_* but not limited to...:)

It is infuriating. It's what you take that out on I guess. There is no argument against the basic fact of 34 pts from 33 games and 17th spot. Everything else is opinion, conjecture and damn lies and statistics.

We were like frightened lambs against the bigger sides in our first 2 seasons, now we're giving the bullies a bloody nose but forgotten how to fight against the little kids.

Old story of course, but ManUtd fans wanted rid of Fergie after 2 seasons. Of course fans can't see what's going on in academies, couldn't see a crop of youngsters coming through, couldn't see a transformation of culture and mentality. They can be mocked now in hindsight, but Sir A was a Mark Robbins late goal from losing his job. What I'm trying to articulate, is a lot more can be going on behind the scenes that any fan can know, I'm on the side of something a bit special is being established and built at the club, but it is only a guess really on my part.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You, [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION], myself, et al, are just typical football supporters, weekends made and (kind of) ruined by football results. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions,

This is not a new phenomena due to social media.

Supporters have always moaned when it’s warranted, been elevated to cloud nine watching goals scored and a win.

Wins in our 147 games have been rare, so it’s inevitable that folk get thoroughly p*ssed off and vent their spleen.

Imho it’s natural and healthy to externalise it.

:thumbsup:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think you’re mistaking people who are pissed off with a shit result as people who want Potter out. I think Potter is a very smart manager, but he does have a naive streak in him, our unforgivable results against the bottom 3 highlight this. There are many sensible and well seasoned posters on this board who are vehemently Potter in, but they’ve posted their disappointment at such an inept showing against Sheffield United, that doesn’t mean that they’re suddenly Potter out, but they can spot a weakness in his approach.

No I think there are at least two types of view which is not pro Potter for want of a better word. There is the ridiculous he's shit get rid get a non obtainable flavour of the month in and a £100m striker and the more reasoned doubters. Like most things the empty vessels make the most noise. I am not a Potter zealot by any stretch not everything in the garden is rosy but I didn't really expect it to be. We are slightly below my expectations for the season but it was obvious that things would be tough when we failed to get a striker in. Welbeck is still a good player but the injuries have taken a yard of pace away and he is not the threat he was. Maupay is decent enough but not top drawer and not a CF for me at least. He needs to play off someone. Back up is short of where it should be and both Connolly and Zeqiri have work to do to convince me at least they have the quality.

My view FWIW is that this summer represents a crossroads. This is a good squad with a good manager but it has some significant holes within it. It needs investment and that is a big ask after 18 months of reduced revenue and no doubt tough times for TB commercially. We will sell I've no doubt but the right players in could see us drastically improve. Conversely some good players move on without addressing the goals issue in particular and this could easily go the other way. I am a 7/10 on the positive scale at this time but make no mistake this is a big summer for us.

Potter himself may get an offer he cannot refuse who knows but this is a pivotal moment in this clubs recent history for me and I find it strange that so many struggle to see beyond the points total. This is not the same as the last three years but that doesn't mean its automatically going to be better but the base has been established for it to thrive the rest is up to the board and fate.

*_* but not limited to...:)

It is infuriating. It's what you take that out on I guess. There is no argument against the basic fact of 34 pts from 33 games and 17th spot. Everything else is opinion, conjecture and damn lies and statistics.

We were like frightened lambs against the bigger sides in our first 2 seasons, now we're giving the bullies a bloody nose but forgotten how to fight against the little kids.

Old story of course, but ManUtd fans wanted rid of Fergie after 2 seasons. Of course fans can't see what's going on in academies, couldn't see a crop of youngsters coming through, couldn't see a transformation of culture and mentality. They can be mocked now in hindsight, but Sir A was a Mark Robbins late goal from losing his job. What I'm trying to articulate, is a lot more can be going on behind the scenes that any fan can know, I'm on the side of something a bit special is being established and built at the club, but it is only a guess really on my part.

I really don’t think comparing Potter with Alex Ferguson is a good move if you are trying to build a case for the former

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The key to Leicester's success for the last 5/6 years has been Jamie Vardy - the guy averages more than 20 goals a season and his pace makes him a threat on every break from defence. Without Vardy Leicester would not have won the PL and would not have stayed competitive since. Getting into the CL in 2016 was worth more than £80million to the club - and they fleeced Chelsea for £35million for Drinkwater, and Man U for £75million for Maguire (and they got £60million for Marhez from Man City as well).

Unless they can replace Vardy (and his production) in the next year or so they will find the PL much tougher going.

On the plus side - they seem to be a well run club - they have a very good manager (more impressive than I expected) - have a good squad - and they keep the ball rolling. Getting into the CL next season will give them a further boost and give them the funds to throw a dart or two at getting Vardy's replacement.

you missed my point, and all the player money comes from a different budget

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here