Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Waverley Paddle steamer

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I don't know if anyone on NSC is interested, but the South Coast dates for sailings have recently been announced. Shoreham is 13 September, but I'll be abroad. The misses and I have booked the Portsmouth sailing on 25 September, combining it with a ride on the Swanage Heritage Railway. Hopefully the monsoon season won't screw it all up.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Do they still do it from Worthing Pier?
Bozza is right. The coach transports passengers from Worthing Pier to Porsmouth for the sailing. Can't say that I find the prospect of a coach journey from Worthing to Portsmouth that inspiring, but the time on the Waverley and a steam railway experience at Swanage should be pretty good.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do they still do it from Worthing Pier?
Doesn't look like it from their timetable. They bus you from Worthing Pier to either Shoreham (13/9) or Portsmouth (20/9)

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 16.31.29.png

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I don't know if anyone on NSC is interested, but the South Coast dates for sailings have recently been announced. Shoreham is 13 September, but I'll be abroad. The misses and I have booked the Portsmouth sailing on 25 September, combining it with a ride on the Swanage Heritage Railway. Hopefully the monsoon season won't screw it all up.
I'm interested. Never had time before so I'll look into this.
Waverley was featured on the https://www.channel5.com/show/the-big-steam-adventure/season-2
As a side, the Waverley is now run by diesel rather than steam.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
My mother used to travel on The Waverley when she was a teenager, she grew up in Clydebank during the war.

In 1983 she was very keen for a 15 year old me to experience it, so straight after the semi final win v Sheffield Weds I made my way to Victoria and met my parents that were parked up nearby.
(Without mobiles that was quite an achievement on reflection, I can’t recall how long either of us we’re waiting)

We drove down to Ilfracombe (possibly, it was definitely the north Devon coast) and took a fascinating day trip to Lundy.

It was one of those days as my mother was dogged with poor health and for years didn’t have the energy to do much, but she really wanted to do this.

They went home and I spent a week staying with my brother who was living in Bideford at the time, We stuck those “Brighton For The Cup” Evening Argus stickers in the window of every pub, shop or bus shelter we passed. (Like I’ve said before things you remember eh?)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Blimey I had no idea this was still going. As a pretty young nipper I can remember catching the Waverley from the end of Eastbourne pier

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Bozza is right. The coach transports passengers from Worthing Pier to Porsmouth for the sailing. Can't say that I find the prospect of a coach journey from Worthing to Portsmouth that inspiring, but the time on the Waverley and a steam railway experience at Swanage should be pretty good.
Have done the Worthing coach transfer a few times, only an hour or so, we'll worth it for a day out on the Waverly...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here