Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watching the game again with cool head

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
In my opinion it's not true that the first half was the best we've played.

We didn't touch the ball for the first 15 minutes.

We played afterwards in waves, in gusts.

The initial line-up in my opinion was not the best. I expected the worst.

I liked the second half much more, when we pressed and squeezed City in their area for endless minutes.

At times it was like watching a siege. Where those under siege were Guardiola and City.

Not something Guardiola's teams was very used to.

I thought at the beginning that City fielded their worst line up, thankfully, and Brighton their best. The opposite has happened. So much so that I thought if we resist in the first half then we can get a result.

These two love and hate each other (Guardiola and De Zerbi) and each wants to prevail over the other.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hmmmm I’m not so sure I can agree re the first half… it’s not necessarily about us, but moreover about the level of the opposition - and how well we played against probably the best team in world football… albeit a slightly hungover version.

To be as good or better than City in fits and spurts is about as good as it gets, and for me represents what must be one of our best performances. If we’d played like that against Newcastle, we wouldn’t have lost 4-1… and against Everton…

The level that City were at for the 12 games prior to last night was frankly ludicrous… yes they were probably 10-15% off that, but given our starting XI, our three games a week fatigue, and that we’d mathematically made the Europa league anyway, I’d say we were even… thus I conclude last night was one of our best PL era performances… in both 45s.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hmmmm I’m not so sure I can agree re the first half… it’s not necessarily about us, but moreover about the level of the opposition - and how well we played against probably the best team in world football… albeit a slightly hungover version.

To be as good or better than City in fits and spurts is about as good as it gets, and for me represents what must be one of our best performances. If we’d played like that against Newcastle, we wouldn’t have lost 4-1… and against Everton…

The level that City were at for the 12 games prior to last night was frankly ludicrous… yes they were probably 10-15% off that, but given our starting XI, our three games a week fatigue, and that we’d mathematically made the Europa league anyway, I’d say we were even… thus I conclude last night was one of our best PL era performances… in both 45s.
Is the correct answer

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023

Against Newcastle and all the games we lost I think we played our best games. You have to be must smart enough to understand.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In my opinion it's not true that the first half was the best we've played.

We didn't touch the ball for the first 15 minutes.

We played afterwards in waves, in gusts.

The initial line-up in my opinion was not the best. I expected the worst.

I liked the second half much more, when we pressed and squeezed City in their area for endless minutes.

At times it was like watching a siege. Where those under siege were Guardiola and City.

Not something Guardiola's teams was very used to.

I thought at the beginning that City fielded their worst line up, thankfully, and Brighton their best. The opposite has happened. So much so that I thought if we resist in the first half then we can get a result.

These two love and hate each other (Guardiola and De Zerbi) and each wants to prevail over the other.
I guess everyone else - neutrals, media types, etc - who have been drooling over the game since it happened must be wrong, then?

:shrug:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What was great about the first half, and indeed the whole match, wasn’t just how good we were, it was how good both sides were. We both pushed each other. There were times when we were having to resist some terrific City pressure as they took control, and vice versa.

It was like watching two technicians in the boxing ring as opposed to a simple barroom brawl. My delight on Wednesday night was the result of us not being afraid to stand up to City and actually taking them on with our own game. We also displayed some physicality in defence which thanks to Hooper keeping his cards in his pocket meant we could get in some Guardiola type fouls to break up their attacks.

They say it takes two to tango, and both these sides contributed to a dance worthy of taking home the Glitterball Trophy in the Strictly Come Dancing final. A game that will live long in the memory.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What was great about the first half, and indeed the whole match, wasn’t just how good we were, it was how good both sides were. We both pushed each other. There were times when we were having to resist some terrific City pressure as they took control, and vice versa.

It was like watching two technicians in the boxing ring as opposed to a simple barroom brawl. My delight on Wednesday night was the result of us not being afraid to stand up to City and actually taking them on with our own game. We also displayed some physicality in defence which thanks to Hooper keeping his cards in his pocket meant we could get in some Guardiola type fouls to break up their attacks.

They say it takes two to tango, and both these sides contributed to a dance worthy of taking home the Glitterball Trophy in the Strictly Come Dancing final. A game that will live long in the memory.
I wish I’d written that. So do many football writers.

Jul 7, 2003

I've said to a few people that I wasn't sure for the neutral if it was an entertaining game but it was fascinating to watch.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Exactly, we went toe to toe with the best side in the world and showed no fear at all, even though most fans shit themsleves when they saw the two line ups. Awesome just awesome performance imo and I seldom go all hyperbole

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I've said to a few people that I wasn't sure for the neutral if it was an entertaining game but it was fascinating to watch.
Jamie Redknapp at half time apparently said something along the lines of: "For anybody who might be a connoisseur of football, it doesn't get better than that"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here