Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Watching after England exit

Are tournaments a better watch after England go out?

• Total voters

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm part German so I'll always follow them as well as England. I have a soft spot for Holland too due to listening to Dutch music for well over 30 years.
I barely get excited about an England game, even less so over the last decade. I watch tournaments but never watch friendlies as they're so dull to watch.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I've watched some of the games with the best teams in (Germany, Spain, Belgium, France, Portugal, Netherlands) mainly the 8pm games. I will continue in that vein for the knockout stages.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
As I have some German DNA from way back I like to gloryhunt any success Fritz has when it suits me which is far more often than the majority of my English DNA is able to do. The undeserved hype around all things England matched with the fact I find most of the England players a dislikable bunch of bumholes means I enjoy most other games and try to avoid England's

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My Euros amounts to a bit of casual viewing of any match that's on TV and wanting any Albion players to win it regardless of country. I don't expect England to win it, so if they go out it makes no odds. But I'd love the Albion to put on another celebration for a homecoming winner like we did for Mac Allister and Adingra.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Always enjoyable watching two teams going head to head in the knockouts. Supporting England though is to be endured rather than enjoyed. There are so many ways we can ( and usually ) f*** up, so, just not a great watch until the final whistle if we progress or, facing the slow erosion of hope when we slide to defeat.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I watch the whole tournament regardless because I love these big events, same with the Olympics when there is no British interest (although that certainly makes it more fun)
I'm the same. I watch as much as I can, and I've seen most of c80% of the games in the tournament. It's been an utterly delightful tournament, and I've discovered some great teams -- special mention to Georgia, Austria and Slovakia.
England's non-/continuation will have zero impact on my watching virtually every game from hereon in -- the exceptions will be the final group fixtures where both games run concurrently. I agree with the OP that the punditry can focus more on the football without England, which is very much welcome.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I'm the same. I watch as much as I can, and I've seen most of c80% of the games in the tournament. It's been an utterly delightful tournament, and I've discovered some great teams -- special mention to Georgia, Austria and Slovakia.
England's non-/continuation will have zero impact on my watching virtually every game from hereon in -- the exceptions will be the final group fixtures where both games run concurrently. I agree with the OP that the punditry can focus more on the football without England, which is very much welcome.
I’ll be going with Scotland tonight natch, really I need a multi-screen setup ala Marty McFly

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I will continue to watch then the most boring and cautious team of the tournament goes out, yes.

Watching England is too much like watching Sweden has been most times... something you kind of have to force yourself through.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Having Albion players playing for other countries definitely expands my interest in the tournament. I want to see Gross, Gilmour and Verbruggen do well.

The thing is - we've seen all the other countries win stuff, it's been done, and I'd argue none of them are as good as they've been before. This reallly should be England's time, which is why their performances have been so disappointing for the fans.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've been devouring it, watched as many games as I can. And you don't always have to tune in for the "big" games to be entertained. Georgia vs Turkey was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen in a Finals tournament, certainly in the group stage.

So once England make their exit I'll still watch it all play out. What else are you going to put on. Homes Under the Hammer ?

BTW, despite being initially lukewarm over this new format of 24 teams with 4 best 3rd placed teams going through, I have to say I've done a complete U-turn. This last round of games so often just have a plethora of dead-rubbers. But this time, even the SCOTCH could still get through, having suffered their usual dry-hump in the group. Incredible.

Group C apart, this has been a really good tournament so far. I'm all in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don’t care either way really, so no effect.

I only follow Brighton, I’ve watched more games than I intended, but only seen England for about an hour over the two games.

My interest may pick up when Southgate finally goes….

Edit - Similar to @Easy 10 really enjoyed Turkey v Georgia.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I tend to watch all the games and enjoy all the football it’s only the England games where I feel a vested interest that emotions take over all the other games I can just enjoy where if a Brighton player is involved I will then be getting behind that team

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've been devouring it, watched as many games as I can. And you don't always have to tune in for the "big" games to be entertained. Georgia vs Turkey was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen in a Finals tournament, certainly in the group stage.

So once England make their exit I'll still watch it all play out. What else are you going to put on. Homes Under the Hammer ?

BTW, despite being initially lukewarm over this new format of 24 teams with 4 best 3rd placed teams going through, I have to say I've done a complete U-turn. This last round of games so often just have a plethora of dead-rubbers. But this time, even the SCOTCH could still get through, having suffered their usual dry-hump in the group. Incredible.

Group C apart, this has been a really good tournament so far. I'm all in.
And this, quite clearly, is the right answer.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I watch the whole tournament regardless because I love these big events, same with the Olympics when there is no British interest (although that certainly makes it more fun)
I'm the same. I'm not a huge football fan (I never watch domestic/European football unless Brighton are involved), but in the same way as I always watch the snooker world championship and ignore it all the rest of the year I always watch the Euros/World Cups. They're major sporting events.

And it IS less stressful once England are knocked out. I never really enjoy watching England in tournaments. Endure, yes. Enjoy, no. (And two of the worst games in this tournament have been the two England ones). I've much preferred watching Albania and Georgia. Once we're out I'll watch the rest, with mixed feelings. Partly I'll be glad as I can just enjoy the occasion, but I'll also have that familiar feeling of disappointment that it wasn't us.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I watched the first game down the pub and wish I had not bothered and wasted money on beers etc.
Same old same old, went shopping during the last game, and plan to do some jobs around the house tomorrow instead of watching the match.
I will maybe watch the knockout stage game, but I can't stand the hope, Southgate has sucked all the belief and enthusiasm out of me....

I will continue to watch a few select teams, Germany, Switzerland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here