Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Watches

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Question for those that may know.

I usually sell watches privately so not too sure on this.

But.

I have a 2014 Rolex batman that I want to sell. Mint condition, box and papers. If I sell via a store what % will/should they take?

Ie I'm thinking this would go for £12k(ish) privately. How much would a store give me? 9k?

Ta in advance ?

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk
Try Watchfinder for a quote or Blowers. They will probably be the easiest sell for a desirable model. They will knock off money for a service cost though.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A moment of self awareness.

Buying a fake Rolex is risible. You have only to consider, what would be your response to a fake Ferrari? A fake Roller?

Buy and wear a decent watch or don't bother, use your phone to tell the time...
Very poor also to pick up on a self deprecating comment which was clearly made to point out that I don't think that all you watch lovers are wankers. Because I really don't. As I've pointed out on numerous occasions.

I do think you are a wanker though.

Pomposity of the highest grade, insulting hundreds of fans on an away board, not accepted on your own forum, quoting latin and being corrected by those with more knowledge than you... on here. It's not a good look sunshine.

Basically you are being the annoying dickhead in the pub who everyone tolerates but nobody likes (oh for ****s sake, it's him again, let's go)..........

And then a massive watch snob. Have you ever watched Partridge? You are him.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I was strolling in London after breakfast and stumbled upon a high-end used watch shop. I have little interest in watches, and don’t wear or own one, but found their two huge windows of used Rolex’s fascinating. Must have had around 70 or so, going back to 1950, the year and prices on display. Interesting to see how they’ve changed over the years and also the difference in how well they’ve been kept. Most were very well kept but for some reason one particular range, chunky with half and half blue red rimmed dial, had many with faded face and a bit lacklustre.

Burlington Arcade well known tourist trap for some Rolex overpriced dolly mixtures. Red and Blue would be the GMT’s (Pepsi). Older and more tatty, or original, is preferred, hence sky high prices. Had one myself once, when not so popular, long since gone.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Try Watchfinder for a quote or Blowers. They will probably be the easiest sell for a desirable model. They will knock off money for a service cost though.
I thought Blowers had retired. Didn't realise he sold watches as a sideline. Must be how he paid for all those suits, my dear old thing.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I thought Blowers had retired. Didn't realise he sold watches as a sideline. Must be how he paid for all those suits, my dear old thing.

Yes started out in Hull and now in a London too. Busy man.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes started out in Hull and now in a London too. Busy man.
Plenty of busses to spot in both areas. Not so much cricket in Hull though. But plenty in the surrounding towns and villages.... Oh, a pigeon!

What a legend.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have a quite a few watches including a 21 year old tag heuer. The only watch I use now is a Fitbit versa, because it has a light up face and I can see it with out needing glasses. All my old watches I need to put glasses on to tell the time and that’s too much of a faf. Could not careless about the fitness attributes of the fitbit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Burlington Arcade well known tourist trap for some Rolex overpriced dolly mixtures. Red and Blue would be the GMT’s (Pepsi). Older and more tatty, or original, is preferred, hence sky high prices. Had one myself once, when not so popular, long since gone.

It was actually Burlington Arcade (the wife treated me to breakfast at The Wolseley).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Which one, that I haven't debunked? You're a good debater HT (unlike our Leeds friend who runs away at the first loss) so I'd like to hear. You know I'm open minded and will always admit when I'm in the wrong.

I was thinking about the motives for buying such a watch. Three main ones come to mind: craftsmanship, status and/or it looks good. If it’s the craftsmanship or status you’re after a copy won’t cut it. If it’s the look wouldn’t it make sense to buy something similar? And by a known manufacturer and which comes with a level of craftsmanship and reliability which a knock-off fake surely won’t?

Quality is the main driver with most, if not all, of my purchases so if I wanted a watch I’d buy the best I could as opposed to a fake Rolex of dubious origin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very poor also to pick up on a self deprecating comment which was clearly made to point out that I don't think that all you watch lovers are wankers. Because I really don't. As I've pointed out on numerous occasions.

I do think you are a wanker though.

Pomposity of the highest grade, insulting hundreds of fans on an away board, not accepted on your own forum, quoting latin and being corrected by those with more knowledge than you... on here. It's not a good look sunshine.

Basically you are being the annoying dickhead in the pub who everyone tolerates but nobody likes (oh for ****s sake, it's him again, let's go)..........

And then a massive watch snob. Have you ever watched Partridge? You are him.

:lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I was thinking about the motives for buying such a watch. Three main ones come to mind: craftsmanship, status and/or it looks good. If it’s the craftsmanship or status you’re after a copy won’t cut it. If it’s the look wouldn’t it make sense to buy something similar? And by a known manufacturer and which comes with a level of craftsmanship and reliability which a knock-off fake surely won’t?

Quality is the main driver with most, if not all, of my purchases so if I wanted a watch I’d buy the best I could as opposed to a fake Rolex of dubious origin.
Nope HT. I answered all those points already so I'm not going to bore people by repeating myself.

The idea of a nice piece of jewellery to keep, wear occasionally and hope that it makes money I get. *

The rest is just hot air. It tells the time. That's all it does. Craftsmanship/status/looking good are all totally subjective. And if you can get the latter two for buttons then why not if it makes you happy?

It's not as if premium watch manufacturers are going to go bust because Easy bought a second hand snide for a couple hundred quid at an auction. Where's the issue apart from snobbery? And his watch is still working!

Please explain why KW's car analogy is in any way correct, because it so is not. [emoji23]

*This reminded me of an ex who was from a VERY wealthy family in North Yorkshire. For her 18th she was given the same watch that Princess Di had (don't ask me what it was). Not only did she not have it at home, she'd never actually worn it. It was in a safe in a bank somewhere, looked after by her horrific mother. Around 2000 when I met her, she was 30, totally skint, working as an NQT and drowning in debt. The watch would have meant she had the deposit for a house but she had no concept of the idea of selling it. "But it was a present!". Total insanity. We didn't last long after I met her family...... She was ****ing beautiful though but hey, they really were a ****ed up bunch of people!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I know a few watch snobs . . . the new Tag Heuers are crap compared to original Heuers etc etc . . . you can argue both ways, frankly I don't care. my original heuer was reliable and accurate, but not water pfoof . . . the first new one was faulty,, it was repaired for free, then the chrono played up, they replaced it, its been as good as gold. None of them are as reliable or accurate as a quartz, but thats not the point.

most manufacturers evolve for varying reasons, Heuer certainly have.

as for analogys, series 2 Lambrettas from around 1960 are the best quality, but the later 1968-70 bikes handled better and went faster . . . . an ordinary Cortina with a Lotus engine goes just as fast as a real lotus cortina . . . . . none of the Lotus cortina race cars out there now are real Lotus cars . . . . in fact most of the hgistoriuc race cars out there are new, not genuine. In the same way a modewrn rolex ios different from an old one. and the Monaco's have evolved.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know a few watch snobs . . . the new Tag Heuers are crap compared to original Heuers etc etc . . . you can argue both ways, frankly I don't care. my original heuer was reliable and accurate, but not water pfoof . . . the first new one was faulty,, it was repaired for free, then the chrono played up, they replaced it, its been as good as gold. None of them are as reliable or accurate as a quartz, but thats not the point.

most manufacturers evolve for varying reasons, Heuer certainly have.

Maybe top quality watches are like Porsche 911s. They get bigger and glitzier model on model but they’re not hewn out of granite anymore. Not as much fun or as demanding to drive either (unlike watches which only have one function), but what a great status symbol

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Buy what you like, I got into watches because I liked the mechanical element, I’ve also got clocks and wall clocks at home, mainly Edwardian and Victorian. As much as I like the workings of a watch they are still jewellery. An iPhone will tell the time and Apple Watch or Casio will perform the function just as well.
The whole collection thing for me has been spoiled over the years due to the increasing value of watches and the status attached to ownership. The ones I used to pick up for a few hundred quid are well gone.
The explosion of the Asian market and demand in status symbols, which watches have become, has turned me off a hobby I really enjoyed.
Rolex now controls the release of certain models (the professional range, or sports) a great marketing strategy aimed at creating demand and desirability. It also shifts the less in demand models.
Rolex success in creating a status symbol has cascaded down and other makers have doubled,tripled their prices in recent years. You could get an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch for a grand new not so long ago.
Not much that interests me in watches anymore, even basic Seikos are getting ridiculously expensive.
Ownership these days is much more about status and showing off.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Buy what you like, I got into watches because I liked the mechanical element, I’ve also got clocks and wall clocks at home, mainly Edwardian and Victorian. As much as I like the workings of a watch they are still jewellery. An iPhone will tell the time and Apple Watch or Casio will perform the function as well.
The whole collection thing for me has been spoiled over the years due to the increasing value of watches and the status attached to ownership. The ones I used to pick up for a few hundred quid are well gone.
The explosion of the Asian market and demand in status symbols, which watches have become, has turned me off a hobby I really enjoyed. Rolex now controls the release of certain models (the professional range, or sports) a great marketing strategy aimed at creating demand and desirability. It also shifts the less in demand models.
Rolex success in creating a status symbol has cascaded down and other makers have doubled their prices in recent years. You could get an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch for a grand new not so long ago.
Not much that interests in watches anymore, even basic Seikos are getting ridiculously expensive.
Ownership these days is much more about status and showing off.

Agreed. 2004/5 an original heuer MOnaco was £2k . . . a new TAG one in 2005 was £2300 . . . a new one now is double that. an original is double that again . . . which is nuts.

edit . . . . its a similar situation with old cars, bikes, guitars etc, massively over inflated prices, primarily because interest rate are so low, no poiont leaving it in the bank earning nothing when you're getting 10% a year invested in toys you can enjoy.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Buy and wear a decent watch or don't bother, use your phone to tell the time...

Totally disagree. The only reason, for me at least, to not buy a fake watch is you're funding organised crime that most likely has tentacles into thinks much murkier than some snide watches. If someone gets great joy out of a Daniel Wellington or a Rolex they got from auction that may or may not be fake, then best of luck to them.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Get over yerself you snob.

Noooooooo! He’ll be dining off that for years.

“Honestly, I’m right posh me, a soft southern shandy drinker once called me a snob. I must be considerably richer than thou’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here