Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Washington DC travel advice please

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The WMATA opened a direct train line to Dulles rather recently. My sister in Arlington, Virginia says it's a lot easier to get to Dulles these days.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Yes I know there was a New York thread yesterday and please don’t say just go to New York, we have been there and looking for something different.

Anyway, it’s mine a Mrs Rambos 20th wedding anniversary and I am a looking to treat her with an upper class flight on Virgin as I have a fair few spare air miles. It limits the places we can fly as we can only get someone to look after the kids for 4 days.

Been to most places in the US apart from Boston and Washington.

DC has good flight times and there looks like plenty to see there in 4 days.

Any good advice/tips?
Plenty of things to do in DC over four days. Apart from the obvious National Mall and Museums (all excellent), you can bike ride along the river to Mount Vernon, Roosevelt Island (which also has a monument on it) is a fun walk (but being water as the fountains mostly don't work on it) plus there are plenty of nice neighborhood places to eat and drink. I will warn Georgetown is full of rich assholes though so I would miss that. Oh and Rock Creek Park is an often forgotten gem - it is a large forested park that runs from the river and zoo area all the way up to Maryland and is far superior to New York City's Central Park.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia. Drive to the front gate and tell them Albion My Albion sent you. You are liable to get shot on sight.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, about 2 miles from my sister's house is extremely awe inspiring but probably more for Americans, maybe.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
About Rock Creek Park:

I'm sure NCIS is involved. At least Mark Harmon still is investigating. :)

WASHINGTON— Out of an abundance of caution and while an investigation remains active, a section of Fort Totten Park remains closed after a National Park Service (NPS) employee found two WWI-era military munitions in mounds of soil on April 18. The NPS will install “No Trespassing” signs around the closed area today. Fencing and barriers will be installed around the area where the munitions were found until further testing can be completed. Unofficial trails through the woods are also closed off.

The park is closed east of Fort Totten Drive, south of Gallatin Street/Metropolitan Branch Trail and north of Brookland Ave NE/Farragut St. A majority of Fort Totten Park is open for recreation, but visitors should stay on the Metropolitan Branch Trail and the grassy areas of the fort itself (near Fort Totten Dr. and Crittenden St. NE).

The U.S. Army has conducted an assessment and determined the items were WWI-era military munitions that require further analysis prior to a final disposition recommendation.

Public safety is the NPS’s highest priority. The NPS is working with the U.S. Army to investigate the area and determine next steps. We will provide updates as more information is available.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
About Rock Creek Park:

I'm sure NCIS is involved. At least Mark Harmon still is investigating. :)

WASHINGTON— Out of an abundance of caution and while an investigation remains active, a section of Fort Totten Park remains closed after a National Park Service (NPS) employee found two WWI-era military munitions in mounds of soil on April 18. The NPS will install “No Trespassing” signs around the closed area today. Fencing and barriers will be installed around the area where the munitions were found until further testing can be completed. Unofficial trails through the woods are also closed off.

The park is closed east of Fort Totten Drive, south of Gallatin Street/Metropolitan Branch Trail and north of Brookland Ave NE/Farragut St. A majority of Fort Totten Park is open for recreation, but visitors should stay on the Metropolitan Branch Trail and the grassy areas of the fort itself (near Fort Totten Dr. and Crittenden St. NE).

The U.S. Army has conducted an assessment and determined the items were WWI-era military munitions that require further analysis prior to a final disposition recommendation.

Public safety is the NPS’s highest priority. The NPS is working with the U.S. Army to investigate the area and determine next steps. We will provide updates as more information is available.
You are mixing your parks up. Fort Totten Park is on the opposite side of town to rock creek park. Unsurprisingly it is by Fort Totten.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and it's going to become oppressively hot and humid real soon, so either go now(ish) or in Sept/Oct.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia. Drive to the front gate and tell them Albion My Albion sent you. You are liable to get shot on sight.
In a former life (working at BE Washington) I used to get chauffer driven into Langley to exchange sensitive documents, passed from briefcase to briefcase, stood on the big round CIA crest, with fellow glorified couriers from. NZ, Aus, Canada & the USA. I appreciate that this all sounds a bit 'look at me'
:ohmy: :lol:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Washington is a strange place feels a bit fake even for America. Do the FBI and Pentagon tours, you can also go in the Senate and whatch politics in action if that's your bag. Arlington cemetery and the Vietnam wall and interesting and sobering and the Smithsonian is great.
The centre is safe enough but don't feel brave enough to venture into any other districts.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
^ It is an odd place, and pretty soulless. The 4 years I lived there I'd spend many weekends in NYC. Great if you like museums.

North Carolina Supporter

American Seagull
NSC Patron
I live in the US and have visited DC a dozen times- some quick tips. The crime is particularly bad if you are Black. 95% of the victims (and suspects) happen to be Black... the crime against tourists is very limited- mostly to those who venture off the main streets. The Holocaust Museum is powerful, Smithsonian Air & Space is perhaps the best 2 hour history tour in USA. The main museums are all free in DC (courtesy of us taxpayers). The Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Vietnam, WW II, and MLK Monuments are all within a walk of each other- if the weather is pleasant. The African American Museum is new- and has great reviews. It, too, is nearby. But you need to purchase tickets weeks in advance. (skip the White House tour IMO)... Average temperature is warmest in August- 30/31c and can be very, very humid... Many very good seafood (specialty is crab) as well as ethnic restaurants (Salvadoran, Mexican, Korean, Ethiopian, et al.) There are also over 25 Michelin starred restaurants- if fancy dining is your thing. In my view, the best neighborhood to walk around is Old Town- which is about 20 minutes away- well preserved 250 year-old streets and shopping along the Potomac River- always a few degrees cooler. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here