Attachments

• 2FEAF7DA-7117-48C4-8661-CF59CAF6D540.jpeg
    2FEAF7DA-7117-48C4-8661-CF59CAF6D540.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 15

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you don’t mind me asking, why did you get shot of the ‘cooking’ Giulia?
I got a new job a mile from home. I cycle to work . .after 3 months of that the car was somehow worth a few grand more than I paid so I cashed in.

I miss it, and am sorely tempted by a Veloce ( the best of both worlds IMO, I think Icy would agree) but I rarely drive now . . . .settled into the new job, and honestly, I cycle home at lunch just so I can ride a scooter in the afternoon . . . just don't need a car.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've bought five Suzukis, an SJ & Jimny for fun, a Wagon R to teach my son to drive in, an Alto when he passed his test (he still has it 6 years later and it's not put a foot wrong) and my current drive, a Vitara. All of them were reliable and sailed through MoTs.
I've also had Honda and Toyota and wasn't impressed with either. I've had Saabs which were middling reliable but a hoot to drive.
Swift here. Its only a sewing machine but a fun little thing, fantastic steering, like a go kart! Not dangerously small, perfect for a teenager. Miles better than the old bangers I had!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Tesla's have absolutely terrible build quality, wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
A number of the Californian built Model 3's have had a number of issues with panel gaps, poor paintwork, but there tend to be none of those issues with those built subsequently in Shanghai (mine) and Berlin. They are IIRC setting up other factories too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I got a new job a mile from home. I cycle to work . .after 3 months of that the car was somehow worth a few grand more than I paid so I cashed in.

I miss it, and am sorely tempted by a Veloce ( the best of both worlds IMO, I think Icy would agree) but I rarely drive now . . . .settled into the new job, and honestly, I cycle home at lunch just so I can ride a scooter in the afternoon . . . just don't need a car.
Any 280hp variant of a Giulia imo but I do like the QF Estrema trim above all. It‘s only missing the carbon spoiler but at £1000+ for an OEM one, that’s a no!

Buy Tedebear one, you meanie!

As you know, reliability is as good as any other sporty saloon and it’s the best looking there is in the price range, now that is a FACT

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Swift here. Its only a sewing machine but a fun little thing, fantastic steering, like a go kart! Not dangerously small, perfect for a teenager. Miles better than the old bangers I had!
Very under rated car imo, as you say go kart handling, what’s not to like?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Perhaps it’s down to the drivers? In my time I’ve done significant mileage in Fords, VWs, Alfas, Nissans, Audis, BMWs and JLR vehicles and have had pretty much zero reliability issues. I can’t remember the last time a car let me down, I’ve comfortably driven 750,000 miles in those cars :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps it’s down to the drivers? In my time I’ve done significant mileage in Fords, VWs, Alfas, Nissans, Audis, BMWs and JLR vehicles and have had pretty much zero reliability issues. I can’t remember the last time a car let me down, I’ve comfortably driven 750,000 miles in those cars :shrug:
Yep, maintenance is the key, especially on any performance car. Prevention is better than cure

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
You also see some people drive their cars like they stole them. There was someone I worked with like that - bought a new car, drove it into work, where we had a tiny, tight car park, and he thought he'd show it off by ragging it around the car park narrowly missing the other cars and pillars. That sort of driving can put stress on cars, giving reliability issues down the line. He was a bit of a knob generally though! :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You also see some people drive their cars like they stole them. There was someone I worked with like that - bought a new car, drove it into work, where we had a tiny, tight car park, and he thought he'd show it off by ragging it around the car park narrowly missing the other cars and pillars. That sort of driving can put stress on cars, giving reliability issues down the line. He was a bit of a knob generally though! :lolol:
The number of people that floor cold engines from start up is staggering. Cars need a warm up cycle before you rag them. I wince when a couple of neighbours drive off in high revs In the morning.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yep, maintenance is the key, especially on any performance car. Prevention is better than cure
SOmething I learnt when I started racing . . . After a hard day at the track its a major service. TO finish first, first you have to finish.

same with old Lambrettas . . . . Did a 600 mile round trip weekend a few years ago . . . Dropped a bit of gearbox oil to check and found a bit . . . . Turned out to be a fragment of chain link roller. £35 part changed in an hour, followed by faultless trip.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For those happy to slag the big Germans off, there are a couple of points to remember. People who buy expensive cars are not likely to accept minor annoyances, whereas folk buying their first ever new car of whatever less expensive brand are very, very pleased with themselves to have purchased a new car. We ALL sometimes justify our purchases to ourselves. Secondly, expensive cars have soooooo much tech that things are so far advanced that, yes, sometimes they need a little adjustment, or the operator needs a little training.

The consistently bog expensive brands would soon lose customers if they were letting down their buyers at a higher rate than cheaper brands over the long term.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The problem with this list of unreliability relates to the fact Warranty Wise insure cars for breakdown repairs which is something people rarely take out unless the car was very expensive to buy and as a consequence very expensive to repair hence the list is full of BMW Audi Mercedes Range Rovers Tesla’s et all

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Ooh, no mention of any Volvo, inc my trusty XC60 bought 2nd hand 4 years ago.
Had 3 VW's over 12 years prior to that and it was a reluctant switch, but glad I did ....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I now recall a convo with an AA man many many years ago and I asked him what was his most common call-out vehicle.

Vectra, closely followed by the Mondeo - but then he mentioned a very important fact, being that these two models [at the time] were by far and away the most common on the roads, so by the law of averages, more of them were statistically going to hit trouble. Good point?

No idea if the video considers this? ie Number of breakdowns per number sold [by model] might be more telling?

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
I now recall a convo with an AA man many many years ago and I asked him what was his most common call-out vehicle.

Vectra, closely followed by the Mondeo - but then he mentioned a very important fact, being that these two models [at the time] were by far and away the most common on the roads, so by the law of averages, more of them were statistically going to hit trouble. Good point?

No idea if the video considers this? ie Number of breakdowns per number sold [by model] might be more telling?

That's what i was thinking too, there are a lot of BMW and JLR's on the road, surely the stats should be averaged over all sales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here