Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Warning of stuff

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Very relaxed thank you! I was calling myself the hypocrite for calling out the ‘morons’ 🙄

I recognise that on some occasions it is meant in ‘good’ humour, but it very often isn’t, and I personally find it a bit basic tbh.
Fair enough. I agree with you on the way in which debate is conducted. I think it’s mostly got a lot better with the new version ignore facility though.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

…and can we please do something to discourage the morons (hypocrite) that feel the frequent need to point out every misplaced spelling or grammatical error in a vain effort to humiliate and denigrate. I find that so tiresome and the lowest form of contribution to NSC! Not all of us have had the privilege of an equal upbringing, societal influences and/or access to education. (Que a swathe of comments re all the errors in my monologue haha)
But we do it as a service! Not to humiliate, just to educate.

Ok, I don't do it (well not much and certainly not recently), but I do remember once when I made a spelling mistake and someone pointed it out I was grateful for the correction. And who doesn't enjoy a good binfest about whether grammatically a team is a plural entity ('Brighton have the ball') or singular ('Brighton has the ball'). Ok that might just be me.

EDIT: Bollocks, didn't work in a fish pun.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014

Ok, I don't do it (well not much and certainly not recently), but I do remember once when I made a spelling mistake and someone pointed it out I was grateful for the correction. And who doesn't enjoy a good binfest about whether grammatically a team is a plural entity ('Brighton have the ball') or singular ('Brighton has the ball'). Ok that might just be me.

I think it all depends upon the ‘intent’ (is it your aim to be helpful or simply make yourself feel clever/superior?) but what really matters is how it is ‘received’ and so the only thing one can truly control is how it is ‘delivered.’

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Pollocks Shirely?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
If people would just stop fishing, hoping that someone will take the bait, it would stop virtual batterings. I'm probably skating on thin ice by saying this but it's a bit crabby on here at the moment. We should all make a conscious effort not to be arsesoles. :blush:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If people would just stop fishing, hoping that someone will take the bait, it would stop virtual batterings. I'm probably skating on thin ice by saying this but it's a bit crabby on here at the moment. We should all make a conscious effort not to be arsesoles. :blush:
You're a Dab hand at this mediating malarkey, Do you work in Human Roe-sourses ?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
(WOKE WARNING!) Sorry to disrupt the tide of fish puns, but I for one am really pleased to see this. I can appreciate how much work it is for you and the mods but as our team grows in stature and popularity so to will NSC surely, and these kind of measures will become more and more unavoidable and the forum less and less welcoming if we’re not careful.

NSC has always been a very tolerant place in my eyes, (I guess there is a strong chance a lot more moderating goes on that I don’t see.) Pretty much anything other than racism/sexism/homophobia goes it seems, which isn’t all bad, we all enjoy a bit of a piss take I think, and overly sanitised forums are a bore, but there is often quite a consistent, highly unattractive undertone that does frequently drive me away for periods.

I find it so tiresome the way in which many seem completely incapable of disagreeing (debate ultimately being the heart of what makes this place interesting) without being overtly aggressive/insulting/demeaning/stubborn/forthright/arrogant/condescending etc that I personally find quite distasteful. Much, MUCH harder to moderate than the obvious use of inappropriate language/discrimination I’ll admit. Why do people feel the need to be so personal all the time. Just disagree politely! An alternate point of view to yours does not make the other person wrong, let alone ‘stupid!’

…and can we please do something to discourage the morons (hypocrite) that feel the frequent need to point out every misplaced spelling or grammatical error in a vain effort to humiliate and denigrate. I find that so tiresome and the lowest form of contribution to NSC! Not all of us have had the privilege of an equal upbringing, societal influences and/or access to education. (Que a swathe of comments re all the errors in my monologue haha)
I'm sorry to respectfully disagree but anyone using "should of", "could of" or "would of" should be mercilessly lambasted on every occasion. It's not bad grammar but a corruption of the language.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
I'm sorry to respectfully disagree but anyone using "should have", "could have" or "would have" should be mercilessly lambasted on every occasion. It's not bad grammar but a corruption of the language.
(Checks previous post for ‘should have’ five times!! haha) …my mother used to pick me up on that one a lot as child! haha

At least it’s not ‘should of!’

You’re right of course, but this is a football forum. I don’t think anyone’s (primary) intention for coming on here is to learn/be taught English, and for many English might not even be their first language.

Some won’t mind, if offered politely with good intent, but my concern is that many would likely be put off contributing their potentially very valid, interesting views for fear of being made to look/feel ‘stupid’ for the way in which they write them.

I’m more interested in what a person has to say than how they say it.

…..

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Nothing is more entertaining however than when someone feels the need to correct someone and their correction is also grammatically incorrect! 🤣👌🏻

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
(Checks previous post for ‘should have’ five times!! haha) …my mother used to pick me up on that one a lot as child! haha

At least it’s not ‘should of!’

You’re right of course, but this is a football forum. I don’t think anyone’s (primary) intention for coming on here is to learn/be taught English, and for many English might not even be their first language.

Some won’t mind, if offered politely with good intent, but my concern is that many would likely be put off contributing their potentially very valid, interesting views for fear of being made to look/feel ‘stupid’ for the way in which they write them.

I’m more interested in what a person has to say than how they say it.

…..
I used to correct kids in my classes when they said ‘you wha’ (Merseyside accent, no ‘t’) instead of pardon. Given up now. I used to just get the reply ‘you wha.’

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
(WOKE WARNING!) Sorry to disrupt the tide of fish puns, but I for one am really pleased to see this. I can appreciate how much work it is for you and the mods but as our team grows in stature and popularity so to will NSC surely, and these kind of measures will become more and more unavoidable and the forum less and less welcoming if we’re not careful.

NSC has always been a very tolerant place in my eyes, (I guess there is a strong chance a lot more moderating goes on that I don’t see.) Pretty much anything other than racism/sexism/homophobia goes it seems, which isn’t all bad, we all enjoy a bit of a piss take I think, and overly sanitised forums are a bore, but there is often quite a consistent, highly unattractive undertone that does frequently drive me away for periods.

I find it so tiresome the way in which many seem completely incapable of disagreeing (debate ultimately being the heart of what makes this place interesting) without being overtly aggressive/insulting/demeaning/stubborn/forthright/arrogant/condescending etc that I personally find quite distasteful. Much, MUCH harder to moderate than the obvious use of inappropriate language/discrimination I’ll admit. Why do people feel the need to be so personal all the time. Just disagree politely! An alternate point of view to yours does not make the other person wrong, let alone ‘stupid!’

The internet is such a repository of poor, clunky communication and over-the-top English language abuse atrocities that regardless of the intent (ie trying to be a smart-arse or genuinely attempting to educate, or both) if some people didn't take a stand it would probably degenerate even further. Having said this, the risk for those of us perched up on our pedantic pedestals is; if we get a bit excited and slip up ourselves, there will be many posters competing to be the first to rub our noses in it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Exactly, this is not the right plaice for that.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The internet is such a repository of poor, clunky communication and over-the-top English language abuse atrocities that regardless of the intent (ie trying to be a smart-arse or genuinely attempting to educate, or both) if some people didn't take a stand it would probably degenerate even further. Having said this, the risk for those of us perched up on our pedantic pedestals is; if we get a bit excited and slip up ourselves, there will be many posters competing to be the first to rub our noses in it.
It's a risk worth taking in its own right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here