Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Virgil Van Dijk

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
How close did we get to signing him back in 2013 when he was at Groningen?

Signed for Celtic for 2.6m so we would've table a similar price I guess.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How close did we get to signing him back in 2013 when he was at Groningen?

Signed for Celtic for 2.6m so we would've table a similar price I guess.

Poyet tried to sign him the year before Celtic were after him, but we couldn’t agree a price with Groningen. According to reports at the time we wouldn’t up our bid from around £2 million. I think we’d moved on by the time Celtic signed him as he was out of our price range.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Poyet tried to sign him the year before Celtic were after him, but we couldn’t agree a price with Groningen. According to reports at the time we wouldn’t up our bid from around £2 million. I think we’d moved on by the time Celtic signed him as he was out of our price range.

This isn’t quite what happened.

We scouted VVD and made an approach. The two clubs agreed a price (something like £2.25m) and the player was keen to come, in the January window.

However Groningen had a slump in form and were in relegation trouble - and so decided that they couldn’t afford to lose him in January. Instead they told the Albion that the deal was still in place for him to move, at the price they’d shaken on, but only at the end of the season.

His form then attracted other interest, including Celtic, and Groningen saw the opportunity of a few £ more. They told Bloom that the player was still ours, but the price had gone up by (around) £400k.

Bloom was apparently fuming, and point blank refused to consider it, as a matter of principle - They’d shaken hands on a deal.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We scouted VVD and made an approach. The two clubs agreed a price (something like £2.25m) and the player was keen to come, in the January window.

However Groningen had a slump in form and were in relegation trouble - and so decided that they couldn’t afford to lose him in January. Instead they told the Albion that the deal was still in place for him to move, at the price they’d shaken on, but only at the end of the season.

His form then attracted other interest, including Celtic, and Groningen saw the opportunity of a few £ more. They told Bloom that the player was still ours, but the price had gone up by (around) £400k.

Bloom was apparently fuming, and point blank refused to consider it, as a matter of principle - They’d shaken hands on a deal.

Interesting, thanks.

We lost the play off Semi in May 2013, Poyet whinged about the financial ceiling and VVD signed for Celtic 6 weeks later.

To your knowledge, was the whinge about TB not going higher for VVD, or more of a general whinge?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

If true, in hindsight then that was a bad move. However, as humans we aren't armed with that super-power - so if I was Uncle Tony I would also have told them to stick VVD so far up their arse there'd be studs poking from their nostrils. Tossers,

Good on you Uncle Tony. Stand by your values and your principles. Even if it lets you down you'll always have that great feeling you've been true to yourself. :thumbsup:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
VVD is struggling a bit since he came back. Definitely a player to target today ......

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

So you're saying it's all Barber's fault we didn't sing him? :dunce:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

If Celtic had shown interest then I'm sure the player would also have wanted to sign for them rather than us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So you're saying it's all Barber's fault we didn't sing him? :dunce:

Nope, I'm pretty sure the blame lies entirely with early leavers from the East (esp. Family) stand. Them or Aaron Connolly :moo:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Lots of talk, but he was never coming here, and wouldn't have stayed if he had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here