Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Village Way Pre and Post Match

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Hi guys - my son is a mascot at the game on Saturday, so my father-in-law is coming with us. He is 86 and, while pretty agile for his age, may struggle to walk from the bridge car parking space that i have.

I've contacted the club to explain the situation, and they've suggested he could be dropped at Village Way prior to the match, ideally three hours in advance, which I'm happy to do as my son needs to be there pretty early anyway... Has anyone got any experience of traffic around Village Way at this time though? I'm anxious about dropping him then being trapped in traffic trying to get back down the Bridge to park!

Ta!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pretty sure at that time you’ll be absolutely fine. Don’t think it gets too heavy there let alone 3 hours before kick off. Just drop him off by the car park. Not sure what you’ll do after the game though? Guess you’ll be staying a while after so maybe get him up to the car park again and should be able to collect him if coaches / cars etc have gone?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi guys - my son is a mascot at the game on Saturday, so my father-in-law is coming with us. He is 86 and, while pretty agile for his age, may struggle to walk from the bridge car parking space that i have.

I've contacted the club to explain the situation, and they've suggested he could be dropped at Village Way prior to the match, ideally three hours in advance, which I'm happy to do as my son needs to be there pretty early anyway... Has anyone got any experience of traffic around Village Way at this time though? I'm anxious about dropping him then being trapped in traffic trying to get back down the Bridge to park!

Ta!
There won't be anything much going on at Village Way 3 hours before KO, or even 2 hours. You'll likely be able to pull into the entrance, be met by a steward, drop off safely and pull out again. The slip road off the A27 if coming East bound also doesn't start queuing until an hour before KO normally. So at the time you are talking about you shouldn't be met with any queuing anywhere really.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Agree with all the other posts, but just want to say what a wonderful day you'll have and what a great experience for your son this will be. My youngest was lucky enough to be a mascot for the Fulham game in the championship when we won 5 nil and the club went out of their way to make the whole thing smooth and enjoyable. Have fun!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Dropped someone off on Sunday 3 hours before kick off; it’s dead and very quiet. Afterward the match it is a different story though! May be worth him getting the bus from top of coach park steps (there’s a lift too) for those with limited mobility that runs to the car park with the official drop off/pick up point in Sussex Uni.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Dropped someone off on Sunday 3 hours before kick off; it’s dead and very quiet. Afterward the match it is a different story though! May be worth him getting the bus from top of coach park steps (there’s a lift too) for those with limited mobility that runs to the car park with the official drop off/pick up point in Sussex Uni.

Thanks guys appreciate all answers, I feel reassured!

I'll work out post-game on the fly. Hopefully with the momentum of a few pints of Harvey's (he credits it with a miracle cure of a terminal cancer diagnosis!) and a good win behind us he'll find it easy to get to the Bridge seeing as it's mostly downhill. But failing that we'll wait behind for a while.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Agree with all the other posts, but just want to say what a wonderful day you'll have and what a great experience for your son this will be. My youngest was lucky enough to be a mascot for the Fulham game in the championship when we won 5 nil and the club went out of their way to make the whole thing smooth and enjoyable. Have fun!
Yep he's a luck bugger! I would've given my right nut to have this opportunity when I was his age!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yep he's a luck bugger! I would've given my right nut to have this opportunity when I was his age!
Yes! True. However one can live the moment vicariously from the stand. If they sit you where we sat, you have to behave yourself as it's right behind the opposing team's seats. I wasn't impressed with some of Fulham's players, a few were sat there while the match was on, on their phones!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Dropping off should be easy. I'd go as far as driving into the main entrance, there is a dedicated taxi drop off that they kindly let oap's struggling to walk to be dropped off. Make it 30 minutes before your due time to arrive. From there he can take the lift down and meet at the store entrance. Post match is different though. Stewards line the road and stopping is 100% a no no. I'd stay in your seats for a while then have a coffee. Don't try the same collection as no cars are allowed in at all. All streets have stewards and Police moving cars on, as you can expect with 100's of coaches and buses, it gets busy and they need that road clear. Coaches leave around 40 mins after the whistle so at that time the area should be clear and take him up the lift to somewhere safe. Then drive past and grab him as you do so.
On the other hand he may be on such a high he will fly down to the Bridge.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Dropping off should be easy. I'd go as far as driving into the main entrance, there is a dedicated taxi drop off that they kindly let oap's struggling to walk to be dropped off. Make it 30 minutes before your due time to arrive. From there he can take the lift down and meet at the store entrance. Post match is different though. Stewards line the road and stopping is 100% a no no. I'd stay in your seats for a while then have a coffee. Don't try the same collection as no cars are allowed in at all. All streets have stewards and Police moving cars on, as you can expect with 100's of coaches and buses, it gets busy and they need that road clear. Coaches leave around 40 mins after the whistle so at that time the area should be clear and take him up the lift to somewhere safe. Then drive past and grab him as you do so.
On the other hand he may be on such a high he will fly down to the Bridge.
Where’s this taxi drop off you talk about?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Where’s this taxi drop off you talk about?
Drive into the ground. There will be lots of stewards, simply say you're dropping off an elderly person. The taxi drop off, if you know the entrance, is to the right of the security kiosk and is coned off. I've done it a couple of times when taking my elderly Mum. They are very helpfull. You'll need to be a good driver as you'll be driving around buses and coaches but as I say, they are very experienced.
Just don't repeat post match as you'll get nowhere near.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here