Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Video 8 to Laptop

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've an old Canon Video8 camera along with about 30 tapes from year 1988 to 2000. Thought I'd lost them but rediscovered right at the far corner of the garage.
Recently purchased a VHS to USB converter to digitise the tapes. When I run the tape through the laptop the picture is all squiggly as if the tracking is out. Original picture on camera is good and I've run the camera through a TV with RCA sockets and good (for a 30 year old tape).
All the reviews for the converter are positive.
Any technical wizards work out what's wrong?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I've an old Canon Video8 camera along with about 30 tapes from year 1988 to 2000. Thought I'd lost them but rediscovered right at the far corner of the garage.
Recently purchased a VHS to USB converter to digitise the tapes. When I run the tape through the laptop the picture is all squiggly as if the tracking is out. Original picture on camera is good and I've run the camera through a TV with RCA sockets and good (for a 30 year old tape).
All the reviews for the converter are positive.
Any technical wizards work out what's wrong?

You say you are using a VHS converter but that is not the same as Hi8 ...(well as far as i know)...

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I have the same problem, VHS tapes only have a shelf life of 15 -25 years if stored at optimum temperatures.
As you say "far corner of the garage" that is the problem.
I have lost my wedding video and all the kids growing up as they were stored in the loft.
Can get a bit of audio out of them, but the picture quality is very grainy and poor.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have the same problem, VHS tapes only have a shelf life of 15 -25 years if stored at optimum temperatures.
As you say "far corner of the garage" that is the problem.
I have lost my wedding video and all the kids growing up as they were stored in the loft.
Can get a bit of audio out of them, but the picture quality is very grainy and poor.

OP says that the video is fine when he views it on the camera...

In your case are you sure its the tape that's at fault and not the player?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
OP says that the video is fine when he views it on the camera...

In your case are you sure its the tape that's at fault and not the player?

To be fair, i have only tried on two different players, you're giving me a bit of hope, having done this and researching help online this was when i discovered the life of tapes so lost heart leaf them where i found them.
Think i will now try again.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Thought I'd drop a line as to what happened.
I remembered I had a slingbox tucked away so dug that out as well. Hooked up the camera output (stereo mini jack to phono) into the slingbox. Logged in online and it was perfect picture, for a 35 year old Video8 tape. Tried hooking the USB video converter up from the slingbox out but still the picture wobbled. So using the Xbox Game Bar (nope, never knew it exsisted) recorded the video via the slingbox player.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I'd not seen this thread before so pleased to find you have a solution.

As a bit of a retro gaming nerd, I've come across this sort of thing a few times. Some newer TVs really don't handle the old analog signals and early digital signals well as they often have unsupported resolutions and formats. Sometimes picture quality can be dodgy (if they're working at all)

Always worth checking that the device will output into a format that your recording/playback device will recognise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here