Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
It appears that the incompetence of our match officials can persist even when given hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of tech, I’d rather have the on-field ref’s decision and the immediacy of our game back.

What I want to see is relegation and promotion for refs. An incident that directly causes an incorrect goal decision should see an official immediately relegated to matches in the division below, and the best ref in the championship promoted up in their place.

We have to accept there will be dogshit refs, let them ref in the county leagues. The very worst who can’t keep up at that pace should be banned from officiating.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It is and will remain 50 fps as that's what is broadcast. In reality the 50 fps is 25 as it is interlaced footage.

Only a certain amount of super slow cameras on PL obs. Usually one, at most two for non UK TX live games. Sky and BT have more, but less than you think.

Aware this is dull chat!
It is and will remain 50 fps as that's what is broadcast. In reality the 50 fps is 25 as it is interlaced footage.

Only a certain amount of super slow cameras on PL obs. Usually one, at most two for non UK TX live games. Sky and BT have more, but less than you think.

Aware this is dull chat!
Fair enough. Good point about the interlaced footage. On the ‘when is the ball kicked argument” I can see there’s still a lot of room for inaccuracy. That’s why I think there needs to be much more leeway built into the offside law if they’re to persist with VAR (they will).

I hate the system as it’s currently used but mainly wanted to correct the misconception that they slap a couple of thick lines on the still we’re shown and judge from that. So many people online saying ‘how can they judge from that angle?’. As far as I can tell, provided one camera has a clear shot of the second last defender, Hawkeye can work out the perpendicular “wall” to see if its been broken.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You don’t even have to draw a f***ing line to see that’s onside, blatant cheating Palacr fan on VAR. I’ve also noticed a lot of our goals are being scrutinised by VAR we aren’t where we are meant to be in the table. The third goal against Arsenal should have stood IMO.
That’s my theory.

The VAR ‘techie’ whom drew the line is a ****ing Palace fan. Officials trusted the system and didn’t question where the line was.

The line drawing cheat should be sacked, named and shamed.

Edit: The match should be replayed.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
They won't get rid of it.

I wonder if some of the issue is actually the decision about when the ball is 'kicked'.

Is it when the passer first touches the ball, as he is hitting it, or the moment before it leaves his foot? And who decides this? It's rarely scrutinised but it could make the difference of perhaps a foot to the receivers position.

Would it make offsides less controversial if the lines were drawn as a gap appears between the boot and ball?

I know this won't get rid of the slide rule, but at least it gives the benefit of the doubt initially to the attacker.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
VAR has to go. Would prefer to put up with human error during the match by the officials (as it was) and let the game flow more quickly.

There will always be human errors with or without VAR - all VAR does is kill the spontaneity of celebrating a goal and wastes large chunks of time during a game.

Also we effectively have a 2 tier system of football in England. Why should only the Prem use it? Is the Championship, and Leagues 1 and 2 not important. I know there's obviously an infrastructure and cost issue the lower down the leagues you go, but essentially the game in England has almost become two different sports - Football with VAR (Prem), and Football without VAR (the rest of the football pyramid).

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Remember before VAR when the benefit of the doubt was given to the attacker? Why was that?

It was because GOALS are what football is about. And if it’s that tight. Then give the bloody goal.

The officials were always a part of the game. Consistency is tough in such a fast paced system and always will be an issue. But at scale, the officials were consistently wrong/right when watching and judging in real time.

I want

- On field decisions take priority for offsides.
- A way of the lino/ref publicly saying “not sure” immediately after a goal.
- VAR watch it back immediately in real-time. No slo mos. No lines.
- Decision within 10 seconds or goal given.

The stupid onus on keeping the game going when it’s clearly offside can go in the bin too.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Potter was right in what he said yesterday and that is human error has moved from the match officials to those in the VAR bunker. Its just worse as they are supposed to have the technology to help the match officials. VAR should be scrapped other than for obvious f**k up's such as the Thierry Henry handball which knocked the Irish out of the world cup....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This time I'd like to see Bloom sue PGMOL for the amount of money that decision could cost us at the end of the season. Bankrupt the useless bunch.
If ManUtd can be awarded a penalty after the final whistle, and red cards issued two days later, we can be given two points retrospectively, and let Palace keep their one point (I’m generous like that).

Deck chair Doctor

Apr 11, 2012
Hove
You can basically draw lines wherever you like from that angle as you cannot possibly tell where the last defender is in relation to the ground. Not clear, not obvious, not offside?

Attachments

• 3837FC63-3172-4315-BB98-D3F55FE7A312.jpeg
    3837FC63-3172-4315-BB98-D3F55FE7A312.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 63

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
How many times are Brighton going to get screwed by VAR? It appears they don’t act when they should and when they do they get it wrong, it’s getting a bit silly now, too many errors. They’re either corrupt or incompetent.
I think most teams feel that way tbh. I initially thought Alexis would be sent off by VAR yesterday, then I remembered the challenge in Ferguson. For what it’s worth, it’s incompetence.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Apologies if fixtures...another comment, this one MOTD.

"It is getting to a point where it is difficult to comprehend how inefficient VAR is."

Meanwhile, Brighton had a goal incorrectly ruled out for offside because of a human error by the VAR operator in their draw at Crystal Palace.

Pervis Estupinan looked to have put the Seagulls in front in the first half.

VAR John Brooks intervened and ruled the Ecuador defender to be offside when he received Pascal Gross' pass.

However, the offside line was wrongly drawn from James Tomkins rather than his fellow Palace defender Marc Guehi, who was standing just behind him.

If the line had been drawn from Guehi, Brighton's left-back would have been onside and the goal would have stood.

Former England striker and Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker tweeted: "The VAR process is seriously flawed. Needs a rethink. Mistakes and ludicrous delays for obvious decisions are sucking the life out of the game."

Ex-England captain Alan Shearer added: "It has been an awful day for VAR. You couldn't make this up. They put the line in the wrong place.

"I don't know what else to say apart from horrendous day for VAR. A terrible, terrible day for the officials and VAR"

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Would it make offsides less controversial if the lines were drawn as a gap appears between the boot and ball?

I know this won't get rid of the slide rule, but at least it gives the benefit of the doubt initially to the attacker.

Isn't that more likely to penalise the attacking team? If the attacking player is running to receive a pass, the later they take the image, the worse it'll be for the attacking side? So if you wait for daylight between foot and ball, the attacking player will be further forward.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The media are ignoring this. Only the BBC and Argus seem to have mentioned it. MotD covered this, but we were shoved away at the end of the programme. Nothing in the tabloids or broadsheets. All of their reporting about the Arsenal and Chelsea games are about whether BAR got decisions right. In this case, it seems that PGMOL May have admitted that they got it disastrously wrong. However, this is not completely clear as the BBC's article doesn't quote them and nobody else has cared to ask. The source seems to be from ESPN. Nobody is following up. Where is the reporting?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This is genuinely unbelievable, I mean this is way beyond ‘typical Brighton’, this is either corruption or gross incompetence. Either way I believe we need more than some meaningless apology. Replay the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here