Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
He can [deleted] right off into the sea and stay there until he either drowns or his backwards, idiotic [deleted] is washed away.

Whichever is quicker.
That wasn't a controversial statement, you know. Even the most pro-choice activists accept that a woman does not have an absolute right to abort a baby/foetus when she is (say) 38 weeks into pregnancy. Most accept that the foetus/baby has to be considered as well.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That wasn't a controversial statement, you know. Even the most pro-choice activists accept that a woman does not have an absolute right to abort a baby/foetus when she is (say) 38 weeks into pregnancy. Most accept that the foetus/baby has to be considered as well.

I'm aware. I think the law is abortion is legal up to 24 weeks, though happy to be corrected.

But what he's talking about isn't anything to do with 24 weeks or 38 weeks. It's to do with controlling what women can and cannot do with their bodies.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Republicans not only spent over two terms stacking all courts with partisan hacks, but also stole a Supreme Court seat from Obama, broke their own precedent to replace RBG and forced through the nominations of two candidates accused of sex crimes. They are also gerrymandering in virtually all states where they can get away with it, trying to ensure that their minority rule is sustained. They've now twice had presidents elected when losing the popular vote.

Yet when they have had opportunity, the Democrats haven't made any reforms at all to stop the democracy thieves. The satirical message from the opening scene of The Wire has never seemed more relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYgKmOJT_gM

There is no popular mandate for this religious zealotry in America or in virtually any developed country. Even Ireland introduced constitutional amendment on the issue after the referendum a few years back. Unfortunately, like us, the USA has a progressive majority that concerns itself with agreeing rules that are fair for everyone whilst the corrupt minority just steals what it wants and runs away. This is obviously terrible news for the women and families that will be immediately impacted, but its also frightening news for democracy in the USA. If democracy cannot stop such corruption, people will look to other worse options.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Like God has pissed off down the pub and forgotten to water Utah so needs some prayers to give him a nudge

Reminds me of that guy Harold Camping in the States who predicted the end of times and the rapture. When nothing happened on said date he told the assembled press he needed to recalculate and came up with a new date and time. Needless to say nothing happened the second time either. Being America I was surprised those people who had given away all their worldly possessions in anticipation didn't sue him for fraud

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Like God has pissed off down the pub and forgotten to water Utah so needs some prayers to give him a nudge

Yet God looks at things like kids dying and thinks "That's going pretty well".

As Stephen Fry said, if God did exist he would ask this:

“How dare you create a world in which there is such misery that is not our fault? It’s not right.

“It’s utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?”

“I would say: ‘bone cancer in children? What’s that about?’

“Because the God who created this universe, if it was created by God, is quite clearly a maniac, utter maniac. Totally selfish. We have to spend our life on our knees thanking him?! What kind of god would do that?

Still, pray away.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Well, I listened to the clip and I didn’t hear what you heard.

Yeah I was being a touch hyperbolic perhaps.

That said I don't believe for a second that there isn't some fringe MPs salivating at the prospect of doing what SCOTUS have done.

Also a bit hyperbolic, yes.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My apologies, I thought you were indicating that abortion might help solve the issue.

As a side issue, how could privately-run jails not be subsidised by the government? You can't expect the prisoners to pay for their own accommodation!

why make them privately owned then .....just another ****ing sort mate. ching ching ....no pun intended.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yet God looks at things like kids dying and thinks "That's going pretty well".

As Stephen Fry said, if God did exist he would ask this:

“How dare you create a world in which there is such misery that is not our fault? It’s not right.

“It’s utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?”

“I would say: ‘bone cancer in children? What’s that about?’

“Because the God who created this universe, if it was created by God, is quite clearly a maniac, utter maniac. Totally selfish. We have to spend our life on our knees thanking him?! What kind of god would do that?

Still, pray away.

All the bad stuff was created to test our faith. :shrug:

People genuinely believe that, by the way. And if your faith is strong, you will win the big prize - everlasting life (after death) in paradise.

Religion and gods were invented primarily to control the slaves (which was most people back then) so they had an idea that allowed them to work without complaint. It workes nicely so those with the power became fervent believers themselves.

Approaching religion from a position of health and comfort, for the first time, you'd immediately conclude that the adherents were mad or evil or both. But we have a tremendous capacity to believe what suits us, and apply confirmation bias at every turn.

Things will change across the world, but it will take hundreds of years, and will require that rationality is used successfully to rescue a population from disaster. The population will need a disaster, though, and even massive disaster seems to leave populations pretty much unchanged. China is a great example, where being Chinese is such a Thing and so entrenched they can live through emperors and the likes of Mao (millions dead) without batting much of an eyelid let alone screaming 'enough!'.

So crisis has not effected change in parts of Africa (famine and war), the middle east (sectarian tyranny and war) or America (where the constitutional freedoms and rights allow narcissists and psychopaths an unfettered run to creating sects, religions and cabals that feed off the fools for profit). Because America is so rich and has so much freedom (in so many areas) it may take thousands of years, perhaps, for them to 'behave' as we might see it. My money is on never. It will never happen. People will use religious superstition and fear to make money, with restriction of the rights of women and others just a means, rather than an end. Women marching with banners has zero impact in the minds of the adherents, and little impact on the rest of the nation, despite how it may seem for many of us living in our own bubbles.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1543203044040577027[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news...g-patients-going-indiana-abortion/7788415001/

Story of a 10 year old girl who has been raped and fallen pregnant. Denied an abortion in her state of Ohio. Been told to ‘consider it an opportunity’

Given all the shit Qatar is getting for having the World Cup I’m not sure the US is going to be in much of a better state by 2026

It differs from state to state, as the article says. The girl was treated in Indiana. California has said they won’t be banning any abortions.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It differs from state to state, as the article says. The girl was treated in Indiana. California has said they won’t be banning any abortions.

Biden also stated he will protect anyone travelling for abortions. A day late and a dollar short but at least it's a statement of support.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

A state that will soon have the same 6 week ban Ohio had forcing her to go elsewhere in the first place (she was six weeks and 3 days pregnant).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A landslide vote in Kansas, upholding its state constitutional right to abortion.

27782B33-C979-48DC-A36E-0C8D0126C527.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62402625

Despite Kansas having a conservative majority, its last Democratic senator was elected in 1932!

Many new voters registered. Demonstrating the sleeping giant of potential non-conservative voters who never get round to registering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here