• Not The Nine O'Clock News

Votes: 37 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think we forget how different NTNCN was at the time. It had the political punk of Have I Got News For You and the off the wall nature of Monty Python (although nowhere near the latter’s brilliance).

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Two VERY different comedy genres here.

One funny and one not, for starters.

Fawlty Towers will walk this, which is a damning indictment of the comedy taste of the average NSCer (IMVHO :lolol:).

SHAME ON YOU ALL

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I would argue the CONTENT of Fawlty may have dated, but not the performances, the tightness of the script, nor the physical comedy. I would argue those elements will always be seen as of a high standard.

For the TYPE of comedy it is - raucous fast-paced 30 minute farce - I'm not convinced another show has ever done it better.

A little bit like Friends, in that I don't love Friends, but for the type of show it is trying to be, it is phenomenally good. If that makes sense.

Fair points, and on reflection probably correct. It’s not a show I think I could personally bear to go back and rewatch now however, it’s firmly past sell by for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair points, and on reflection probably correct. It’s not a show I think I could personally bear to go back and rewatch now however, it’s firmly past sell by for me.
I can understand that - I've barely watched it in years, and don't feel any strong pull to. But I still respect what it achieved at the time.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Still my favourite comedy moment and dialogue of all-time - two minutes of sledgehammer sarcasm. Still makes me literally laugh out loud.

today.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
It is excellent, but then again, so is this:

There is no place for [racist] men like you in my police force; I'm transferring you to the SPG." :lolol:

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Last call for votes

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is one of those knockout games you turn off with five minutes to go because it’s all over and you put the kettle on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here