Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Service Sector Bounces Back In July

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BBC News - UK service sector bounces back in July

Has the corner finally turned and the recession ending ?

One thing I have noticed in my area is a lot more sold signs in the housing market than usual meaning perhaps the economy is finally positive ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I believe this is just a Dead Cat Bounce, things still pretty grim overall. We hardly make anything, there are very few jobs that are not done by Poles, most people are still struggling without pay rises despite regular high inflation over the last 3 years.
Household budgets are very tight with little room to spend our way out of the recession whereas large companies are still trousering large amounts of cash and getting it out of the country to avoid tax.

Very little cheer if you are middle class or below.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I believe this is just a Dead Cat Bounce, things still pretty grim overall. We hardly make anything, there are very few jobs that are not done by Poles, most people are still struggling without pay rises despite regular high inflation over the last 3 years.
Household budgets are very tight with little room to spend our way out of the recession whereas large companies are still trousering large amounts of cash and getting it out of the country to avoid tax.

Actually disagree things are certainly picking up we we work with far more companies offering contracts.

However we are not playing the game as we have gone quite severely cash positive over the last two years ergo not spending ourselves.

D

Deleted member 22389

That's right. 10% pay cut where my mum works. Manufacturing companies are finding it really tough.
We need to start making things again, lot of things and we need the government to start supporting it. Manufacturing is worth more than all the Service Sector jobs put together as regards a countries value.

Do we really have to rely on China for absolutely everything. I'm talking about the most simplest plastic components, there must be something we can mass produce at a competitive price?
They don't have special machines in China you know.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
BBC News - UK service sector bounces back in July

Has the corner finally turned and the recession ending ?

One thing I have noticed in my area is a lot more sold signs in the housing market than usual meaning perhaps the economy is finally positive ?

Defintely more houses on the move. The 'for sale' signs in Shoreham are going up and changing to 'sold' very quickly. My mum sold hers in Angmering in 3 days then bought the first one she looked at 2 days later. I think there are signs of an improvement, and I suspect we're past the lowest point, but you can nly know that retrospectively.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Defintely more houses on the move. The 'for sale' signs in Shoreham are going up and changing to 'sold' very quickly. My mum sold hers in Angmering in 3 days then bought the first one she looked at 2 days later. I think there are signs of an improvement, and I suspect we're past the lowest point, but you can nly know that retrospectively.

Great. Wasn't it housing which caused this recession in the first place?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's right. 10% pay cut where my mum works. Manufacturing companies are finding it really tough.
We need to start making things again, lot of things and we need the government to start supporting it. Manufacturing is worth more than all the Service Sector jobs put together as regards a countries value.

Do we really have to rely on China for absolutely everything. I'm talking about the most simplest plastic components, there must be something we can mass produce at a competitive price?
They don't have special machines in China you know.

Totally agree about your thoughts on manufacturing and value to a country. We need to halt our obsession with the service sector and make stuff. It's proven around the world if you make the right products, and quality products, with decent after sales service you will flourish. Let's do it and restore some national pride.

D

Deleted member 22389

Totally agree about your thoughts on manufacturing and value to a country. We need to halt our obsession with the service sector and make stuff. It's proven around the world if you make the right products, and quality products, with decent after sales service you will flourish. Let's do it and restore some national pride.

I just don't understand why we can't. When you manufacturer something as you know, you then require quite a bit of outsourcing for parts from other companies, which creates jobs.

The trouble with the service sector is that there is not really that much outsourcing, when you compare it to manufacturing. I'm just surprised this government and previous governments let manufacturing fly under the radar time and time again.

What these companies need is machinery, not bloody enterprise zones. They need to train young people up, and get manufacturing going. No point Cameron going to the USA to bang the drum for British business, what British Business is he promoting, more greedy banking?

And that's the problem, most people in government don't have the foggiest how things are manufactured, they take things for granted, because they have never worked in this industry. They probably don't even know what a bloody screwdriver is.

I worked in manufacturing when I left school. I am no longer in this industry because I got made redundant twice due to lack of business. Manufacturing in the UK is a sad state of affairs, it needs to change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here