The fast show
Shooting stars

boik

Green Wing
The Fast Show
Bottom
The Royle Family
The Office

I'm a lot older than that list might suggest, but having rewatched some from when I was younger they don't really stand the test of time.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I (mildly) agree, hence why I singled out Corden in my comment! Rob Brydon is great in it.
it benefits from having fantastic peripheral characters in general. Dave Coaches, Pete & Dawn, Doris etc all great characters. Gavin & Stacey themselves are insufferable and James Corden is just a dick

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You can tell how good Gavin & Stacey is that James Corden is in it quite a lot but it's still good

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
it benefits from having fantastic peripheral characters in general. Dave Coaches, Pete & Dawn, Doris etc all great characters. Gavin & Stacey themselves are insufferable and James Corden is just a dick
Yup. Gavin, Stacey and Smithy are comfortably the least interesting elements of the show.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I actually quite liked Gavin & Stacey and, like the much maligned Miranda, the kids loved it when they were young, so it was hard to be cynical in the face of it's charms. Corden was actually decent in it because he was acting and he is not a bad actor. He only becomes insufferable when he's being the showbiz version of 'himself'. Ruth Jones was a long time friend and collaborator of Brydon & Davies, and those two, creators of the wonderfully twisted 'Human Remains', brought a bit of edge that would have been missing from something that got a bit too treacly at times. Alison Steadman is excellent in everything she is ever in and most of the support shined.

However, as I indicated in a post above, and as the creators have said themselves, it would never have existed without the influence of Aherne and Cash's 'The Royle Family'. That show also got a bit too sentimental and clownish in its later years, but recently rewatching the early episodes reminded me how brilliant, different and very funny it was when it first appeared. No comedy had previously captured British working class family life so perfectly. Even though it was set up North, there were times when it just felt like reliving bits of my own childhood. The episode where Denise & Dave come in having a row and wake the house up only for the shouting match to, very gradually, turn into a family laugh and Jim getting the banjo out was like something I'd lived through. Deep down, although they squabbled and chiped, they had to love and live with each other. The closest any sitcom has ever got to the best of Mike Leigh. The early episodes were a masterpiece of drama as well as comedy and, although Gavin & Stacey captured some of the same warm feel, you always knew they were actors playing it for laughs. It never had the emotional depth that the characters in TRF had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here