Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] UEFA scraps away goals rule

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
UEFA changes something that doesn't need changing ...................

Wow, those UEFA bigwigs worth every penny of their reasonable, modest salaries, eh.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And will be replaced with advantage going to a team's 'legacy' performance, all other things being equal??? :whistle:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good. The rule came along in a totally different era when a team would win 1-0 at home on their clay / jungle / dirt pitch and then go away and try to defend for 90 minutes. It favored teams that made or had a unplayable home pitch. These days there's no pitches like that and the rule is redundant.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It had some merit when it took 2 days to get to Belgrade for an away tie and teams were knackered. Now you can fly there in an afternoon it's not exactly arduous.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They probably should scrap extra time at the end of the second game as well then - as that always favoured the home team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Somewhat confused by the back and forth of t'other night, at one point jnr exclaimed - "Germany are through on away goals" :facepalm:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Seems fair enough to me. Encourages attacking football in both games.

Does it?

Or does it allow teams to sit back and play for a 0-0 away if they're away first in the hope of pinching something at home and winning the tie 1-0 on aggregate?

And yes - that would still be a win under away goals but it's not necessarily the default.

And I totally get what [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] says about home pitches but what about highly intimidating home atmospheres, especially given how certain places in Eastern Europe are going? Or long journey / time difference ties like a British or Portuguese team playing somewhere that's a five to six hour flight and two to three hour time difference?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
UEFA changes something that doesn't need changing ...................

Wow, those UEFA bigwigs worth every penny of their reasonable, modest salaries, eh.

Disagree. It has needed changing for a long time. Daft rule.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This will lead to more matches going into extra time and penalty shoot-outs. I can see this having the following effects:

1. Good for the teams in domestic leagues that aren't in Europe - the top sides will be more tired from the extra hour of extending the tie.

2. Could be a problem for away fans coming out of the stadium an hour later than they otherwise might have done, possibly encountering transport problems getting back to their hotels and camp sites.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Does it?

Or does it allow teams to sit back and play for a 0-0 away if they're away first in the hope of pinching something at home and winning the tie 1-0 on aggregate?

And yes - that would still be a win under away goals but it's not necessarily the default.

And I totally get what [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] says about home pitches but what about highly intimidating home atmospheres, especially given how certain places in Eastern Europe are going? Or long journey / time difference ties like a British or Portuguese team playing somewhere that's a five to six hour flight and two to three hour time difference?
In boxing a hostile home crowd can not affect the local hero being knocked out. Plane journeys are quite quick nowadays and they normally travel the day before a match, so plenty of time to prepare.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In boxing a hostile home crowd can not affect the local hero being knocked out. Plane journeys are quite quick nowadays and they normally travel the day before a match, so plenty of time to prepare.

Is five hours at "quite quick" faster than five hours at normal speed then? Are teams now getting onboard Concorde II so that they arrive at the same time they left?

Do you think we should just be quiet next season when we're allowed back in the ground or do you reckon that some good crowd support could, I dunno, maybe inspire a comeback from 2 down against Man City???

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Is five hours at "quite quick" faster than five hours at normal speed then? Are teams now getting onboard Concorde II so that they arrive at the same time they left?

Do you think we should just be quiet next season when we're allowed back in the ground or do you reckon that some good crowd support could, I dunno, maybe inspire a comeback from 2 down against Man City???

Footballers manage to adapt from 3pm to 8pm starts without too much difficulty. Not sure if the crowd swung the game that night, but I'm sure there have been plenty of games where the reverse happened despite the home crowd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here