Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] UEFA change FFP rules because of Chelsea

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Uefa is to change its Financial Fair Play rules in response to Chelsea's recent trend of signing players on long-term contracts.

Signing players on extended contracts enables Chelsea to spread the player's transfer fee over the life of that deal when submitting their annual accounts.

That means £89m signing Mykhailo Mudryk will be valued at £11m a year over his eight-and-a-half-year deal.

Uefa is to set a five-year limit over which a transfer fee can be spread.

Clubs will still be able to offer longer deals under UK regulations but will not be able to stretch transfer fees beyond the first five years.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A reactive move.

Horrible that Chelsea will get away with something nobody else will be able to
Why ? Anyone could have done it. Quite clever to be honest

Reactions: SAC

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We'll see if it's clever in 4 or 5 years when they're lumbered with a bunch of players they don't want - or don't want to be there - on huge salaries.
Are they huge salaries? Or like we did allegedly with Lallana and offered slightly less than he could get elsewhere, but with an extra year ?

I’m not sure why people are assuming they won’t be able to sell some of these players like they always have been able to

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Are they huge salaries? Or like we did allegedly with Lallana and offered slightly less than he could get elsewhere, but with an extra year ?

I’m not sure why people are assuming they won’t be able to sell some of these players like they always have been able to

I am sure they will be able to sell them, however there is a chance the player wont want to move or the buying clubs know they need to sell and lowball them.

Lukaku is back in the summer and is on over 200k - who will take him on that wage full time?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I'm sure they'll be able to sell them - although if the player doesn't want to go, they can't force him. BUT - if they do sell, then any profit (for FFP purposes) will be lower (or any loss higher) than it would otherwise be, as there'll be less depreciation. So Chelsea get the benefit now, but there will some downsides in the future.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I am sure they will be able to sell them, however there is a chance the player wont want to move or the buying clubs know they need to sell and lowball them.

Lukaku is back in the summer and is on over 200k - who will take him on that wage full time?
They will loan him out again - if they try to sell then the loss (for FFP purposes) will be huge. I'd hazard a guess that they can't afford to sell him!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I get that but surely it’s every club. And I really don’t think you’d get any / many footballers refusing to move on. Even Brighton managed to shift Locadia & Ali J , 2 of our most expensive signings.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

According to the Independent, Arsenal tabled an offer to Mudryk worth £50,000-per-week.

Chelsea doubled it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
According to the Independent, Arsenal tabled an offer to Mudryk worth £50,000-per-week.

Chelsea doubled it.
£100k a week is hardly mental is it Especially for a player that is going to win the Balon D’or… Allegedly we have a bunch of players on more than £50k a week

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I get that but surely it’s every club. And I really don’t think you’d get any / many footballers refusing to move on. Even Brighton managed to shift Locadia & Ali J , 2 of our most expensive signings.
It took a LONG time to get Locadia off the books.

Imagine if Chelsea has signed Ross Barkley and Danny Drinkwater on double-length contracts.

Also, see: Winston Bogarde.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
£100k a week is hardly mental is it Especially for a player that is going to win the Balon D’or… Allegedly we have a bunch of players on more than £50k a week
No, but doubling another offer is a very good example of Chelsea's wreckless spending.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's not going to change anything much, is it? So they can spread the cost over five rather than eight years. Not a massive difference really.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
We'll see if it's clever in 4 or 5 years when they're lumbered with a bunch of players they don't want - or don't want to be there - on huge salaries.
Yes, because they're lumbered with a few now, and history has a habit of repeating itself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here