Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Twelve Angry Men - Theatre Royal

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm surprised we don't have a Theatre 2023 thread and its a bit too late to start one, but I really wanted to post a review of this excellent show that was on in Brighton last week.

Its the stage version of the famous old 1950s movie. This production had an excellent cast, including some well known names; Patrick Duffy (Man from Atlantis, Dallas), Tristan Gemmill (Coronation Street, Casualty), Michael Greco (EastEnders), Ben Nealon (Soldier Soldier), Gary Webster (Minder, Family Affairs) and Gray O’Brien (Coronation Street, Peak Practice)

The set was simply a New York jury room and adjoining washroom. We join the story as the jury retire to the jury room and start their deliberations. The drama follows that process until they agree on a verdict.

This was the best theatrical production I have seen for years. Faultless performances from all thirteen characters, superb set and excellent pace throughout. Minor query over the direction having one or two characters speaking with back to the audience, but this is a bit picky.

I wish I'd seen it early in the week, because I'd have gone back again. If it comes round again, or goes to the West End I couldn't recommend it enough.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Bugger missed that this was on.

Wanted to see this in stage since seeing the 50s classic years ago.

Also enjoyed the unnecessary but still rather excellent 90s TV movie adaptation directed by William Friedkin.

If anything the remake has an even better cast .... Including Jack Lemmon, George C Scott, James Gandolfini, William Petersen and 'hold me closer' Tony Danza.

And yes, while all the above is true, I have only posted this as an excuse to do the Tony Danza joke.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Agreed. Went last Wednesday. One of my favourite films which was done brilliantly well on stage.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I loved the old film. This production sounds well worth seeing. I have never been big on the stage theatre but I did see a courtroom drama at the Theatre Royal some years ago… ‘ The Caine Mutiny’ with Charlton Heston. That was memorable

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Can I lower the tone by suggesting that unless it had Tony Hancock asking "Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?" then it wasn't worth going.
I'll be honest, I was temporarily distracted by an image in my mind of Old Big Head and Sid

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Can I lower the tone by suggesting that unless it had Tony Hancock asking "Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?" then it wasn't worth going.
No, no you can't.

Oh......

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I loved the old film. This production sounds well worth seeing. I have never been big on the stage theatre but I did see a courtroom drama at the Theatre Royal some years ago… ‘ The Caine Mutiny’ with Charlton Heston. That was memorable
My late Mum did the after show catering for that performance and was most put out when Heston spat out her quiche and asked if she had any crackers! She brought the spat out piece of quiche home, resplendent with his teeth marks in it, where it took pride of place in our kitchen (until it started to smell).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you are a Hancock fan

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

one of the greatest lines in comedy history. Hancock’s twelve angry men

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
My wife and I went on Friday evening. Thought it was one of the best shows we've ever seen. Took us about 45 minutes to realise that the table was revolving 🤣

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Was really good. Despite being in the front row, I was pleased that Patrick Duffy was mic'd up as he had a very quiet voice - particularly at the start. Not sure why they needed to have the slowly revolving table though (yes, took me a while to spot that too) as it seemed to add nothing other than a quiet snigger when it juddered a couple of times.

Nice to see the mention of Charlton Heston in The Caine Mutiny Court Martial, at the same theatre. I hadn't realised it was way back in 1985!! I genuinely thought it was much later than that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've always hated the theatre. This started at school when we went to see some nonsense or other which had a scene with some birds.

Some "actors" were dressed head to toe in black (with balaclavas) and running about flapping model birds above their heads.

This I felt distracted from the rest of the scene and I asked the teacher what are they were doing....

Who ?

The people in black ?

But you can't see them - use your imagination !

That ruined it for me and from that day I consider any form of acting (the act of reading out else's words to help create the illusion of an environment that doesn't exist) as basically lying and should be made a criminal offence.

The punishment being painted silver and made to stand in Covent Garden pretending to be statue for 6 months of the year, whilst not "acting".

I understand the penalty it already on the books but not applied consistently.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've always hated the theatre. This started at school when we went to see some nonsense or other which had a scene with some birds.

Some "actors" were dressed head to toe in black (with balaclavas) and running about flapping model birds above their heads.

This I felt distracted from the rest of the scene and I asked the teacher what are they were doing....

Who ?

The people in black ?

But you can't see them - use your imagination !

That ruined it for me and from that day I consider any form of acting (the act of reading out else's words to help create the illusion of an environment that doesn't exist) as basically lying and should be made a criminal offence.

The punishment being painted silver and made to stand in Covent Garden pretending to be statue for 6 months of the year, whilst not "acting".

I understand the penalty it already on the books but not applied consistently.
Pure Partridge! Bravo!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here