Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] TV tuning help please

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All three TVs in my Mum’s house in the Goting/Ferring area lost all channels via their antenna connection yesterday afternoon.

I’m here now and going through retuning - no channels get found on any of them.

So it seems to be like some sort of common problem - the physical aerial, connection to that aerial or the transmitter.

Am I missing something obvious?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Is Goating the saucy side of Boring?

I've heard of TV troubles a bit further east too . . . . Even our digital radio has had a few wobbles . . . Its been a tad breezy this last few days.

as for technical support. Unless it's mechanical or has knobs to twiddle, I'm useless. I'd guess it's the weather causing the problem though.

Have you tried a different hangar? The silver/galv ones are much better than the white ones from the dry cleaners, especially if you've got a colour telly.

neutron

Sep 5, 2023
All three TVs in my Mum’s house in the Goting/Ferring area lost all channels via their antenna connection yesterday afternoon.

So it seems to be like some sort of common problem - the physical aerial, connection to that aerial or the transmitter.

I'm guessing, but I imagine there's only one aerial serving the three TVs, so maybe there's a splitter/amplifier (possibly sited in the loft)? Try to follow one of the aerial connections to see where it goes - if it disappears into a wall then have a look in the loft to see if you can find a box with four cables going to it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm guessing, but I imagine there's only one aerial serving the three TVs, so maybe there's a splitter/amplifier (possibly sited in the loft)? Try to follow one of the aerial connections to see where it goes - if it disappears into a wall then have a look in the loft to see if you can find a box with four cables going to it.
Been up there to have a look - seems fine to this layman’s eye.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
has the 'source' changed on my main TV I have - antenna, DVB and SAT . It should be set to DVB , sometimes it changes to antenna and you just get a TV showing black and white noise.

Have you tried any other devices e.g. firestick to ensure it is fully functional (although i guess if you have used the menu it sort of proves it.

I have a loose connection on my aerial and when it rains heavy it just goes very blocky and disappears

do you know anyone with an old portable aerial?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm unfortunately very near the Crystal Palace transmitter. When I moved in there was no aerial, so I put on up on the side of the house on a high pole.

Never really worked, because someone cleverly built a house around 1900 that blocks signals entering my body from the Croydon area.

So a few weeks ago I installed one of these at the top of the stairs above a door in the loft extension.

1704048944178.png

Not only does it delivery perfect Freeview reception, it's unique football shape filters out all the Croydon negative energy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Not much consolation but the broadcasters have finally got their collective arses together and Freeview will be available over IP next year.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Leave them You're not missing anything worth watching.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Are there neighbours nearby to ask if they are also affected? Would rule in / out transmitter problems.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Give the TV a whack on the side.

That always worked in the 70s.
Or early 90’s as the radio rentals tv my parents rented and for some inexplicable reason continued to rent until the mid-90’s. The tv stopped sound on a regular basis at the middle of films.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here