Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Turkish Super Cup Final Carnage

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Absolute carnage in the Turkish Super Cup final between Galatasaray and Fenerbache today.

Last month Fenerbahce's players were attacked by opposing fans during a game with Trabzonspor. It was originally decided that Trabzonspor would have to play 6 games behind closed doors but that was reduced to 4 yesterday. In protest, at the original incident, the leniency shown by the Turkish FA and ongoing security concerns around safety of players, Fenerbahce withdrew their first team and named their under 19s against Galatasary in the cup final.

Galatasaray scored after less than 60 seconds and the Fenerbahce players left the pitch and refused to take any further part in the match. Galatasaray have been awarded the match by default and after celebrating their win played a training game against their subs so the fans in attendance at least saw some football.

It must be a big step to basically forfeit a cup final, but it seems there is a lot wrong with Turkish football at the moment (there was the incident earlier this season where the ref was punched by a club chairman). I wonder if this will prompt the Turkish FA to address those concerns. They'll have been hit financially by this as well. The final was originally meant to be played in Saudi Arabia last November but fans protested against this move and both clubs refused to take part in the match which lead to it being cancelled and rescheduled for April 7th in Turkey. Now international broadcasters are calling for refunds following today's match being cancelled after just 60 seconds.

Also congratulations must go to Wilfrid Zaha on his first senior honour in Turkey, nothing like winning a trophy by default (he wasn't even named in the Galatasaray starting XI).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolute carnage in the Turkish Super Cup final between Galatasaray and Fenerbache today.

Last month Fenerbahce's players were attacked by opposing fans during a game with Trabzonspor. It was originally decided that Trabzonspor would have to play 6 games behind closed doors but that was reduced to 4 yesterday. In protest, at the original incident, the leniency shown by the Turkish FA and ongoing security concerns around safety of players, Fenerbahce withdrew their first team and named their under 19s against Galatasary in the cup final.

Galatasaray scored after less than 60 seconds and the Fenerbahce players left the pitch and refused to take any further part in the match. Galatasaray have been awarded the match by default and after celebrating their win played a training game against their subs so the fans in attendance at least saw some football.

It must be a big step to basically forfeit a cup final, but it seems there is a lot wrong with Turkish football at the moment (there was the incident earlier this season where the ref was punched by a club chairman). I wonder if this will prompt the Turkish FA to address those concerns. They'll have been hit financially by this as well. The final was originally meant to be played in Saudi Arabia last November but fans protested against this move and both clubs refused to take part in the match which lead to it being cancelled and rescheduled for April 7th in Turkey. Now international broadcasters are calling for refunds following today's match being cancelled after just 60 seconds.

Also congratulations must go to Wilfrid Zaha on his first senior honour in Turkey, nothing like winning a trophy by default (he wasn't even named in the Galatasaray starting XI).
There are some lovely things in Turkey. I feel compelled to post this, SPA, who I saw live in London just pre-covid. The disco Orks :love:

Nice clip of Deb and Mona of the Drabs at the start. The last band I saw before covid. Oh my days. :ohmy:

"The chorus "Yalanlarla filizlenen medeniyet çürüyor giderek" is so poetic and so Turkish to be worth to learn, means "The civilization that sprouted with lies is rotting gradually""

Rotting quite quickly now, it appears

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here