Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Troy Deeney

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I like Deeney. He's a real handful and seems like a leader. Not a long term fix but different to what we've got and we definitely need more leaders on the pitch. Could do worse if we can't get/find a top target.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
True and given his history he might struggle with the no dickheads policy too

He's far from a dick head. A really impressive bloke who has transformed himself and his life.

However I think he's a very strong character, and would naturally assume the captain manner (not Captain Mainwaring, btw). I just don't think our club needs all that. Especially at his age. We have far better players than him so it would be a bit like bringing in Geri Halliwell to mentor the members of a K-pop group like Blackpink in how to be young, appealing and successful.

He might suit a club with younger inexperienced players, keen to 'step up', who might benefit from having a wise old head and father figure on board. Leeds, perhaps?

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
He's far from a dick head. A really impressive bloke who has transformed himself and his life.

However I think he's a very strong character, and would naturally assume the captain manner (not Captain Mainwaring, btw). I just don't think our club needs all that. Especially at his age. We have far better players than him so it would be a bit like bringing in Geri Halliwell to mentor the members of a K-pop group like Blackpink in how to be young, appealing and successful.

He might suit a club with younger inexperienced players, keen to 'step up', who might benefit from having a wise old head and father figure on board. Leeds, perhaps?

I have to agree with this. He came across very well in the podcast with Louis Theroux. Not at all a dickhead. He certainly had to lead that Watford team but there did seem a lack of interest from the others. Having said that I would still like to see him at Brighton. Not sure why he is being compared to Murray. Murray at 32, as Deeney is now, was a completely different kettle of fish to Murray today.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I have to agree with this. He came across very well in the podcast with Louis Theroux. Not at all a dickhead. He certainly had to lead that Watford team but there did seem a lack of interest from the others. Having said that I would still like to see him at Brighton. Not sure why he is being compared to Murray. Murray at 32, as Deeney is now, was a completely different kettle of fish to Murray today.

And I agree with you, I've always liked Deeney and his 'robust' way of playing but he is more than that, he's a scorer and creator. As soon as Watford got relegated I thought he would be a good addition to our squad, I would love to see Deeney and Maupay getting stuck into some of the other Premier teams defences, others may think differently.
:D

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Deeney is not a good fit for us, but I can see the sense in a move to West Brom, as he's from that part of the world and they'll need battlers for their inevitable relegation struggle (n.b. I'm not saying we won't be in the same struggle, but I think we have enough battlers already).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Stoke interested but wages will probably prove to be a stumbling block.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Inspirational in turning his life round and a role model for youngsters from troubled backgrounds.

But it's a no from me.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Being 5 years older ?

Just because Murray is 5 years older doesn't mean they aren't physically at the same place. Injury, how you look after yourself etc means different players are buggered at different ages.

As others have said, 3 years ago I'd have loved him. Would be a waste of quite a high wage now as from reading the Watford forum last season lot's of people were saying his leg's had gone. Definite no from me.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I gather he is reformed but I still see him as a bit of a thug on the pitch and he has done time for GBH, he is also Watford through and through so no I wouldn’t like to see him here. He is also too old for what we need. As others have said, we already have a good but waning striker.

This. The Watford bit..totally steeped in Watford and used to bossing on and off the pitch.

Articulate bloke but his best days are past...hence Watford getting relegated. Different player from Murray who is a brilliant reader of the game and uses his brains to get advantage. Deeney is an out and out forward and aggressive presence that scares younger defenders...no thanks. Too much potential for upset.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There is something I find very likeable about Troy Deeney. Can't put my finger on it but I find him very open honest and engagingly funny at times.

I don't think he would go to Brighton because I think Brighton would probably tell him that opportunities to play regularly this season might be limited.

He strikes me as someone who would be honest enough to turn that down and wait for a Club to come along who said. " We want you to be our main striker " even if it meant not playing in the PL.

For what it's worth I think he would be an excellent signing if he did sign. I just don't think Brighton would offer him regular football which he woul want in the last few seasons of his career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here