Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Top Gear Filming Suspended

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well quite. Isn't it time the Beeb put this show out of it's misery now? Ratings must only be a fraction of what they were during it's Clarkson/Hammond/May heyday shirley?
Nope. Since 2019 stayed reasonably healthy 4m or so viewers, the CHM heyday was about 6.5m. This current lot hit 6.5m in 2021. This is dwarfed by TG's popularity abroad though, the BBC sell this worldwide, often getting figures in the 100s millions.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Nope. Since 2019 stayed reasonably healthy 4m or so viewers, the CHM heyday was about 6.5m. This current lot hit 6.5m in 2021. This is dwarfed by TG's popularity abroad though, the BBC sell this worldwide, often getting figures in the 100s millions.
Well not being a petrol head, you will forgive my apathy . . .

Each to their own though of course.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Flintoff didn’t walk away, he was air lifted to hospital. I’m also not sure he’s made any other TV since then either. He issued a statement after the crash that he was stepping back from Tv while he recovered from his injuries, which included some very serious facial injuries. Not much has been said publicly since then. Most of the new stuff that’s he’s been in that has been on since the accident was filmed last summer and autumn.

BBC haven’t filmed any more of the Top Gear series either, filming was suspended after the accident while a health & safety review was carried out. That review has now been completed and the report is about to be made public which has lead to the announcement that filming is permanently suspended on the current series at this time. It sounds as though there is something pretty damming in the report.

I stand corrected. You're right, I read somewhere that he'd walked away after being treated for minor injuries. Obviously not the case. Was a while ago so no idea where I got it from and probably been withdrawn now as it was inaccurate.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Nice to see so many "sympathetic" remarks on here regarding a bloke who has suffered severe physical and psychological damage from this crash.

I have a lot of time for Flintoff both as a sportsman and as a presenter. He seems a very decent chap, and I'm sad and concerned as to his wellbeing now.

Top Gear is apparently shit these days anyway though, so I suppose that's the main take from all this for some on this thread.
For me that image of him consoling Brett Lee after the 2005 Edgbaston test is one of the great "sporting" images of a phenomenal summer of cricket.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A new BBC programme in the planning?
Lewis Hamilton spends an hour facing bouncers from Starc, Nortje, Wood,Hasnain, Riaz and Joffra,

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Freddie made his first public appearance since the Top Gear crash yesterday helping the England team warm up for their ODI against New Zealand.

Great to see him out and about but he’s still got a lot of facial injuries/scaring and looks like a long road to full recovery.

BBC report below shows a couple of photos of him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Posted in the other thread but looks like he’s had a lot of reconstructive surgery, skin grafts etc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Properly f***ed if you ask me. Might be a huge claim there if his media career is over.

A real shame, one of the good guys, from turning up to the Ashes parade still somewhat “exuberant” to trying to get under privileged northern kids off the streets and playing cricket.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I have quite an amusing Freddie Flintoff story.

When his star was on the rise he played for Lancs against Bucks in a one-day game.

I was a new reporter assigned to get an interview with him at the bucks ground. It was more informal back then so an hour before play he was hovering around so I tried my luck. “ No worries mate, I’ll do it in the lunch break”.

I tracked him down at lunch….”sorry mate, yeah. I’ll do it when we’re batting”.

It was only a small ground so I could easily approach him when he was watching Lancs’ top order loading up on runs….”I might be batting in a bit mate, it’ll have to be after play. Definitely then”.

After play…..”Sorry mate, in a team meeting. I’ll do before we go mate”.

I waited at the bus, and clocked him. “Two secs mate I’ve just got to get something from the bus”.

He takes a window seat. I catch his eye. He gives me the phone to the ear sign, with his fingers and mouths “call me” as the coach pulls away!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is dwarfed by TG's popularity abroad though, the BBC sell this worldwide, often getting figures in the 100s millions.
The BBC sells all its popular stuff abroad but the Top Gear heyday is well over.

At it's peak when it went out on the BBC it was being simulcast across Europe

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I stand corrected. You're right, I read somewhere that he'd walked away after being treated for minor injuries. Obviously not the case. Was a while ago so no idea where I got it from and probably been withdrawn now as it was inaccurate.
According to Simon Wilde in this morning's paper he has (or is having) reconstructive work on his jaw and face. He is also "continuing his mental recovery".

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I have quite an amusing Freddie Flintoff story.

When his star was on the rise he played for Lancs against Bucks in a one-day game.

I was a new reporter assigned to get an interview with him at the bucks ground. It was more informal back then so an hour before play he was hovering around so I tried my luck. “ No worries mate, I’ll do it in the lunch break”.

I tracked him down at lunch….”sorry mate, yeah. I’ll do it when we’re batting”.

It was only a small ground so I could easily approach him when he was watching Lancs’ top order loading up on runs….”I might be batting in a bit mate, it’ll have to be after play. Definitely then”.

After play…..”Sorry mate, in a team meeting. I’ll do before we go mate”.

I waited at the bus, and clocked him. “Two secs mate I’ve just got to get something from the bus”.

He takes a window seat. I catch his eye. He gives me the phone to the ear sign, with his fingers and mouths “call me” as the coach pulls away!
Don't sound so much as amusing but as an arsehole.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
According to Simon Wilde in this morning's paper he has (or is having) reconstructive work on his jaw and face. He is also "continuing his mental recovery".

Jesus Christ. That photo looks awful and it's 9 months later. The surgery explains the bruising and plaster on the nose.

I like FF as he's got this exuberance about him I like even though I've never watched a cricket match in my life.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
End of the road for Top Gear (until Channel 4 or someone buys it).

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Jesus Christ. That photo looks awful and it's 9 months later. The surgery explains the bruising and plaster on the nose.

I like FF as he's got this exuberance about him I like even though I've never watched a cricket match in my life.
I agree, not a cricket fan either but this fella should be known as FFF because he is absolutely fearless. I lost interest in Top Gear with Clarkson and Co but I began watching again because my youngest is car obsessed and whatever anyone thinks of Flintoff, his balls are even bigger than DeZerbi's.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
End of the road for Top Gear (until Channel 4 or someone buys it).
It's owned by the BBC (commercial arm) so I doubt very much they'd sell the IP to another UK broadcaster if the story is true.

If somebody really wanted to make it, they would do so under licence like Strictly Come Dancing.

Overseas versions are still being made.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
BBC statement:

“Given the exceptional circumstances, the BBC has decided to rest the UK show for the foreseeable future.

“The BBC remains committed to Freddie, Chris and Paddy who have been at the heart of the show’s renaissance since 2019, and we’re excited about new projects being developed with each of them.

“We will have more to say in the near future on this. We know resting the show will be disappointing news for fans, but it is the right thing to do.

“All other Top Gear activity remains unaffected by this hiatus including international formats, digital, magazines and licensing.”

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
BBC statement:

“Given the exceptional circumstances, the BBC has decided to rest the UK show for the foreseeable future.

“The BBC remains committed to Freddie, Chris and Paddy who have been at the heart of the show’s renaissance since 2019, and we’re excited about new projects being developed with each of them.

“We will have more to say in the near future on this. We know resting the show will be disappointing news for fans, but it is the right thing to do.

“All other Top Gear activity remains unaffected by this hiatus including international formats, digital, magazines and licensing.”
Must have been a difficult decision, it being such a massive money spinner for the beeb.

But fair enough, if the injury to Freddie is that bad, it's hard to come back from. I'm sure they'll revive the brand when the time is right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here