Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tonight's Officials/VAR Thread

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Warminster
It was shocking refereeing. Their second goal was not a free kick. Their fourth goal (if it were us) would have been disallowed for both feet at the keeper. so discount those (it would have happened if the teams were reversed). Gross foul continued into the box (potentially 1-2. Handball by Ake to stop Adingra cross - arm in unnatural position (potentially 2-2). Obvious foul on Pedro (potentially 3-2).

Personally I wish the 'Big 6' had have fuvked off to the European Super league a few years ago. It would have been a much nicer place without them and the sycophantic officials that seem to bend to their every whim.

Rant over.

PS....The Spanish commentators on DAZN could not believe that 2 penalties were not even checked as they were obvious, and they couldn't stop laughing and discussing Foden's slip of the feet in the box.
My subjective view is that the EPL Brand needs a title race for selling TV rights around the world. In both the Arsenal and City games the officiating was biased towards those clubs with the intent of maintaining the "title Race".
The penalty decisions for Arsenal and against The Albion tonight plus every time a City player fell over a free kick was given but when Joël Veltman was clearly being pulled back the referee waved play on. These are at least circumstantial evidence to my view. Add to this the immediate flagging for every offside when the ball was played forward so play was not allowed to develop like it does it almost every other match, which negates any involvement by VAR.

I do not believe that there are specific instructions to favour the "title Racers" but it sure helps sell TV rights when there is a two or three club race.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Actually unbelievable from where I was sitting that the Joao Pedro pen shout wasn't given, let alone the ridiculous free kick call for their second. The lino on City's side was flagging everything, offside calls that didn't look clearly offside or offside at all, whilst the lino on the other side allowed Foden to carry on into the box and set up a chance a good 10 seconds after he was offside in the second half, then raised his flag when we'd cleared it. The one on City's half also flagged for an absolutely pathetic free kick on the WS touchline in the first half.

The standard of refereeing is absolutely scandalous. It probably didn't affect the outcome last night but f***ing hell. It's hard enough to compete with the oil clubs as it is, let alone when every decision goes their way. Gillett needs f***ing off back to Australia ASAP. I said at HT you'd like to think there was someone from PGMOL telling him: "Yeah, you totally f***ed up on that second goal, maybe you should even that out a bit"- clearly that didn't happen.

Last edited:

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
If you're interested in the life of a Premier League referee, this is a good read.

"When I arrived, England was on an exercise bike in the gym upstairs, Marriner was deadlifting and Michael Oliver was doing dumbbell curls. One by one, they disappeared to a side room for body composition assessments, before making their way to the lobby of the onsite hotel for some leisure time. The mood was relaxed, the officials drinking tea, chatting, playing table tennis and pool. Some scheduled a mental resilience session with Paul Russell, the psychologist; others used the time to do 90-minute match reviews with Martin Atkinson, dissecting key incidents on their laptops."
So they do review - I hope so

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The lower arm below the elbow was sticking out at right angles to the body. I t may have felt natural to the player but it was outside the silhouette and, therefore, a penalty.
If his arm wasn’t there, the ball hits his side! Never hand ball in a million years.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Interesting video here. Though this does look like a cherry-picked example with clear and obvious decisions. Shows how with offsides they decided which frame to use for the pass, how they apply the lines, and shows how they review fouls at the monitor.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting video here. Though this does look like a cherry-picked example with clear and obvious decisions. Shows how with offsides they decided which frame to use for the pass, how they apply the lines, and shows how they review fouls at the monitor.

WIth no sarcasm at all, that looks like a good process (chaps) to me, on what was quite a complex review.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

And still the players argue

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Comments from a long time City fan on another forum I frequent having listed all my/our moans about the officials

Can't argue with a single point there, refereeing decisions last night were a joke. (and at weekend!
VAR has become so manipulated this season its actually worse than ever, even though going in our favour still sticks in my craw, its wrong and its not sport.
With the Albion squad being so depleted to injuries, it looked on paper it was going to be a likely win. What the officials achieved was to spoil what is normally a great match. Fair play to BHA for keeping to their ethos and going toe to toe with us. I reckon Barco could be your next star to emerge

Jimmy Grimble

Makes you wonder what one frame difference might make to an offside decision. Thinking of that Coventry goal. Or one that went our way at the end of last season against Southampton.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Given how it is back in vogue but with different destinations, can we deport Gillett to Rwanda for that criminal performance? That is why we deported the buggers in the first place.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
His lower arm was away from his body. It was handball. You weapon.
Obviously not. If that’s given against you you’d be pissing your pants. You need to take your blue tinted specks off ffs.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here