Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Today is International whisky/whiskey day!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I recommend any of the Swedish Mackymra whisky's. I've had 4 and they're all excellent.

For those on a budget the Aldi's are all excellent and Tamnauvilin(sp) is very good for the £20 mark in supermarkets and Amazon.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I recommend any of the Swedish Mackymra whisky's. I've had 4 and they're all excellent.

For those on a budget the Aldi's are all excellent and Tamnauvilin(sp) is very good for the £20 mark in supermarkets and Amazon.

I have a bottle of Mackmyra - very light in colour and it’s taste is very different - like green apple / citrusy / white wine or something - nothing like a sherry style I normally drink.

A mate of mine bought two bottles of Brora 35yr old about 5years ago at £750 a pop. They went up to £1700 a bottle - he will now sell one and can drink the other with a clear conscience as it’s effectively free. He told me his kids (adults) are always buying and selling special edition whisky and making good money out of it - recent example Glenmorangie Cake Edition £70 (on sale Q4 last year) if you could get a bottle now will cost you £150+, beats 0.1% in you bank account.

I did buy Diageo’s Game of Throne set as a punt last summer - cost me £480 it’s now selling at £1200. When I was at Craganmore distillery in August the lady doing the tour said everyone in Diageo was allowed to buy 2 sets and nearly everyone did and once the price rose they started selling dropping the price. She was holding on to her sets and expected £2k in a couple of years time.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I have a bottle of Mackmyra - very light in colour and it’s taste is very different - like green apple / citrusy / white wine or something - nothing like a sherry style I normally drink.

A mate of mine bought two bottles of Brora 35yr old about 5years ago at £750 a pop. They went up to £1700 a bottle - he will now sell one and can drink the other with a clear conscience as it’s effectively free. He told me his kids (adults) are always buying and selling special edition whisky and making good money out of it - recent example Glenmorangie Cake Edition £70 (on sale Q4 last year) if you could get a bottle now will cost you £150+, beats 0.1% in you bank account.

I did buy Diageo’s Game of Throne set as a punt last summer - cost me £480 it’s now selling at £1200. When I was at Craganmore distillery in August the lady doing the tour said everyone in Diageo was allowed to buy 2 sets and nearly everyone did and once the price rose they started selling dropping the price. She was holding on to her sets and expected £2k in a couple of years time.

That sounds like the light blue labelled Mackymra. I think the orange is my favourite but haven't had one for a while, need the Harvey's shop to open. I think I'd call my ceiling at £70 a bottle I'm sure if I spent anymore I'd pick a bad one or my best mate would just help himself when he was round

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
That sounds like the light blue labelled Mackymra. I think the orange is my favourite but haven't had one for a while, need the Harvey's shop to open. I think I'd call my ceiling at £70 a bottle I'm sure if I spent anymore I'd pick a bad one or my best mate would just help himself when he was round

Yes it is light blue label

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Right it’s Xmas time and relatives are asking what I want - so I’m going to ask for whisky / whiskey. So I’m looking for any recommendations from NSC - c£50-100 a bottle. So far I’ve asked for Redbreast (no Irish in my collection), thinking of asking for Lot40 (unless I get a better Canadian recommendation) and maybe one of the Compass special blends Artist or Glasgow.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Right it’s Xmas time and relatives are asking what I want - so I’m going to ask for whisky / whiskey. So I’m looking for any recommendations from NSC - c£50-100 a bottle. So far I’ve asked for Redbreast (no Irish in my collection), thinking of asking for Lot40 (unless I get a better Canadian recommendation) and maybe one of the Compass special blends Artist or Glasgow.

Bruichladdich Classic Laddie is a cracking dram at around 40 quid a bottle (35 on offer in Tesco at the mo)
Would also recommend Tamdhu 12 and Fettercairn 12 both also very good. If you have scope to go slightly higher the Loch Lomond 18 is a fantastic whisky around the 70 quid mark.

Looking further afield, Nikka from the Barrel always excellent around the 45-50 price bracket.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here