Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Ticketmaster The Cure

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Cure have attempted to keep some ticket prices low for their American tour. Ticketmaster have hiked up additional fees to double the cost.

Sounds like they have quite the racket going on over there. At least in Australia we have a duopoly of sorts when it comes to tickets. What's it like in the UK?

I read somewhere o twitter that Nine Inch Nails went back to selling paper tickets in person recently.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Many bands such as Pearl Jam, have not used Ticketmaster for decades. For this exact reason .

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Many bands such as Pearl Jam, have not used Ticketmaster for decades. For this exact reason .
That's interesting, I was wondering who makes the choice. I had assumed that it was the venues that had deals with Ticketmaster. Good on Pearl Jam. Let's hope more follow suit.

Someone on twitter said that King Crimson had info on their website a out why doing it themselves was such a massive ball ache. I will have a look later.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Made the news now.

Ticketmaster "compromising" by giving back some (albeit not much) money to fans after Robert Smith publicly complaining.

Many venues use TM and most bands don't make an issue of the fees issue, however The Cure are standing up to them (as have Pearl Jam in the past) although The Cure a bigger name so could gain traction...... Lets see if other bands follow suit.....

Makes the £75 I paid for the 2018 Hyde Park gig incredible value! Well, it was as loads of other bands I am a fan of were there too! (Slowdive/Ride/EITS/Interpol etc.).

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Made the news now.

Ticketmaster "compromising" by giving back some (albeit not much) money to fans after Robert Smith publicly complaining.

Many venues use TM and most bands don't make an issue of the fees issue, however The Cure are standing up to them (as have Pearl Jam in the past) although The Cure a bigger name so could gain traction...... Lets see if other bands follow suit.....

Makes the £75 I paid for the 2018 Hyde Park gig incredible value! Well, it was as loads of other bands I am a fan of were there too! (Slowdive/Ride/EITS/Interpol etc.).
Twas a good day out, the music preceeded by Eng vs Swe in the World Cup too...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i gather Ticketmaster will say the service and facility fees come from the venues. would match up with the article citing different fees on the tour.

the total price is what matters isnt it, not the breakdown? $40 for a band like the Cure sounds not unreasonable.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Made the news now.

Watching Ride in the sun after England had won the football. Great day that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's interesting, I was wondering who makes the choice. I had assumed that it was the venues that had deals with Ticketmaster. Good on Pearl Jam. Let's hope more follow suit.

Someone on twitter said that King Crimson had info on their website a out why doing it themselves was such a massive ball ache. I will have a look later.
i remember reading about the time Pearl Jam decided to play non-Ticketmaster venues and how difficult it was finding venues and routing the tour. Be interesting to read this King Crimson piece.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Average seats at Wembley Arena for them last December were £75 with £5 handling charge. So pretty much the same overall.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
As I understood it, the band wanted to make prices cheaper (and also prevent touting/transferring etc.) so they reduced ticket prices.
Then TM just upped all these fees to "compensate" so customers don't get any saving.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think in America, Ticketmaster dictate which venue can be used, and guess what, they select venues that are owned and operated by a firm which is within the Ticketmaster group. Therefore to say that the facility fee is down to the venue, is the sort of half truth that you would expect in Parliament.

I'm sure I saw that someone had worked out that for the Cure tour, Ticketmaster will pocket $1.9m just for issuing etickets.

But well done to The Cure for refusing to accept dynamic and VIP pricing which Ticketmaster like to push. Also other than in New York and a couple of other places where there is legalisation that allows scalpers to prosper, The Cure have refused to accept secondary ticket sites. If only all bands would do this.

If you want to know how bad Ticketmaster are in America, all their covid refunds were in the form of credits, which were only valid for certain ticket types, only valid for the venue where the original event was to be, and date limited. So loads and loads of people couldn't use and lost money.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Love this. I bought 2 tickets for the Toronto show.

$40 each (including tax)

Ticketmaster charged me $110

I cannot stress just how much I hate Ticketmaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here