Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thomas Delaney.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So whats the dictionary definition of a big club? Dortmund got 800 employees, Chelsea 2000+. Chelsea got two titles in Europe, Dortmund one. Sure, Westfalenstadion is gigantic but is that all that matters? In that case April 25 from North Korea and Michigan Wolverines from USA are the two biggest clubs in the world.

"Big" is very hard to define when it comes to the size of football clubs.

I don’t think it’s that hard to be honest, willy waving about stadium capacity and size of the pay roll is a bit pointless. I suspect if you asked the majority of football fans to list the 20 biggest clubs in Europe, Dortmund would come up quite often.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don’t think it’s that hard to be honest, willy waving about stadium capacity and size of the pay roll is a bit pointless. I suspect if you asked the majority of football fans to list the 20 biggest clubs in Europe, Dortmund would come up quite often.

Top 20 now and again, top 10 not at all.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Sure, I guess they would.

Anyway, I meant that Delaney could have been playing for Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid... a club at the level where very few would say "nah Dortmund is the 'bigger' club".

Also the top 20... it depends. Right now? Perhaps. Historically? I dont think Borussia would get on a lot of those lists. Its all very subjective though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Top 20 now and again, top 10 not at all.

I just took a moment to think about this, and they MIGHT just be in my 10.

I listed my 'top tier' clubs and actually only have NINE:

Barcelona
Real Madrid
Juventus
PSG
Bayern
Man United
Man City
Chelsea
Liverpool

Dortmund COULD be the tenth (Atletico / Milan / Spurs / etc would have a shout)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I just took a moment to think about this, and they MIGHT just be in my 10.

I listed my 'top tier' clubs and actually only have NINE:

Barcelona
Real Madrid
Juventus
PSG
Bayern
Man United
Man City
Chelsea
Liverpool

Dortmund COULD be the tenth (Atletico / Milan / Spurs / etc would have a shout)

Hmmm historically speaking I would add Arsenal to your list of maybes too, fallen away a tad in rerms of on field success in the last few seasons, but still a massive club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Over the last 10 years Dortmund have been a fixture in the Top 20 richest clubs in the world, they have regular made the last 16 of the Champions League and the Top 3 of the Bundesliga, their ground capacity is bigger than Real Madrid and second only in Europe to Barcelona.

But it is not just the last decade; they were one of Europe's powerhouses in both the 60s and the 90s.

There is no doubt they are one of Europe's biggest clubs.

I recall the time we were in for Delaney, and I think that was the first time we went toe to toe with one of the big boys for a top class player. A similar thing happened with Benfica and Nunez. I think both of those tussles were important because the Albion realised with European football they were never going to compete, so extended their global scouting network to get in before anyone else.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hmmm historically speaking I would add Arsenal to your list of maybes too, fallen away a tad in rerms of on field success in the last few seasons, but still a massive club.

On that basis you'd also need to add Inter, Roma, Monaco, Lyon, etc, etc

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Don't forget they'll all have been playing out of their skins last night. There will be some bang average players who've had a good game at this tournament and people will rave about them. The odd one will get a transfer to Palace too and then resume normal service.

Absolutely, any good player can look exceptional over the course of a few tournament games - that’s why players are monitored over several months & in many cases at least a year before any real interest is decided upon .

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It all goes back to how you define a "big" club l suppose, certainly the Gunners have far more fans worldwide than the last two you mention anyway.

Is no one going to mention Leeds? Hang your heads in shame. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. Inexcusable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here