Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 'This wasn't the Brighton True'

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Roberto interview on BBC.
Inferring that we lost the game due to mentality. ( I'd agree with that).
He mentioned the date , 8th May, in that he will use the date to remind the players of it in the future.
Reporter asks 'you were in there a long time, what did you say?' ' no, nothing' was the reply, in that I'm not telling you.
'im still proud of my players' but infers they have to improve mentality to achieve their target.
I like that in adversity he is working on improving mentality.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Roberto de Zerbi to BBC MOTD:

"It's very difficult to explain this performance. It was a really strange game. We conceded the first goal after 30 seconds. This wasn't the true Brighton, it's a bad day.

I think the problem is not about tactical disposition, I think we didn't prepare in terms of motivation, in terms of mentality maybe. Playing a lot of games in a small period is difficult. We are not used to playing so many games in a row. We have to work on this and our mentality.

I can understand. I'm still proud of my players. The first responsibility is the coach. It's my responsibility.

We have to remember this game and this date, May 8th, because it can be a very important day for us if we improve in mentality. We have to get ready to play the next game if we want to fight for the big target.

Before this game we were playing fantastic football, and getting fantastic results. We have to be proud of our work. Today we made a big mistake because we showed we were not ready to play this game. Too many mistakes, we lost the first half, we weren't the true Brighton. This is what we must improve."

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Can’t disagree. It smacked a bit of some players feeling like they only needed to turn up today to beat a #teamlikeeverton. Sad to say it but belief spilled over into a bit of arrogance. Hopefully that can be put right ahead of the next game.
It's strange but when I saw the players in the tunnel before the game, it occurred to me that the Brighton players were chatting to the mascots and while that's nice for the kids, it seemed they were not focused on what is happening next.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, I thought Roberto showed good management in what he said. Didn't throw the players under the bus but focused on the mental side. Wasn't going to be drawn into what was said in the dressing room. A lot must have been.
Probably easier to not be drawn on what was said when the manager takes a fair chunk of the blame. Fair enough, you can't legislate for being a goal down inside a minute, but we were caught 3 on 2 time and time again well before the 3rd in the 35th minute. That's primarily because the fullbacks lacked the pace to get back and were playing too far up the pitch whenever Welbeck in particular (and Buenanotte to a lesser extent) were giving the ball away centrally, but also because we sorely missed March on the right as a creative outlet.

RDZ got as much wrong as some of our players tonight IMO.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It's strange but when I saw the players in the tunnel before the game, it occurred to me that the Brighton players were chatting to the mascots and while that's nice for the kids, it seemed they were not focused on what is happening next.
Yes, I noticed that. Seemed to reflect a lack of focus.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But they do that every game, which would suggest they should play that badly every time. But they don't, obvs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here