Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This transfer window has to be big

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Nketiah? I think he's about the right level for the backup striker we want. Something to prove and should chip in with some quality/goals, and a clear upgrade on Connolly/Locadia.

I doubt we could afford Nketiah's apparent wage demands only to use him as a backup striker. I think Ferguson is now the backup, listening to Potter pre-match.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ferguson is nowhere near ready. Currently developing in U23 and gaining experience of travelling with first team squad. Just cos he’s big and scoring for U23s doesn’t mean he’s PL ready.

Will he play for U23s tonight or be with FA Cup squad for tomorrow? Let’s see

When asked if they need a new striker, GP mentioned Ferguson is now training with the first team squad since a couple of weeks back and it seems that will remain the case. I think we'll see him in the FA Cup tomorrow.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
obviously a break-the-bank signing is highly unlikely, but this has always been the case I think. people make a lot of the fact that tony isn't rash or knee-jerk, which is absolutely spot on, but I think it works both ways. we know the club tried hard for nunez in the summer, and I don't think tony would look at our recent upturn in form and decide to abandon any plans he had for signing anyone. if it's what we were planning to do in october, then the club will be pressing ahead with it, I reckon.

the argus and naylor will obviously be playing down any speculation of signings before they happen, as that's what the club will want them to do, but I don't imagine for one minute the club will look at the recent results and think the problems we've had up front have magically resolved themselves.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
When asked if they need a new striker, GP mentioned Ferguson is now training with the first team squad since a couple of weeks back and it seems that will remain the case. I think we'll see him in the FA Cup tomorrow.

Important not to build up a youngster as the solution to one of the biggest problem most PL clubs are facing. To name just a few but players such as Mc Phee, Gatting, Gargan, Streeter, Marney, have all been plunged into the first team, struggled and soon disappeared.

Appreciate times are different now and I’m sure Ferguson will be properly nurtured by Potter, etc.

I’d like to see him get some time tomorrow (for his benefit rather than the team’s). Equally perfectly happy for him to continue with the U23s.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Important not to build up a youngster as the solution to one of the biggest problem most PL clubs are facing. To name just a few but players such as Mc Phee, Gatting, Gargan, Streeter, Marney, have all been plunged into the first team, struggled and soon disappeared.

Appreciate times are different now and I’m sure Ferguson will be properly nurtured by Potter, etc.

I’d like to see him get some time tomorrow (for his benefit rather than the team’s). Equally perfectly happy for him to continue with the U23s.

Agree, could become too much. Think he is far from being considered "the solution" though, but I do think we'll get to see at least 60 minutes of Ferguson this season. Some of them tomorrow.

GP mentioned in the same comment that "Danny Welbeck is back and the window is open" so like I've said before... wont rule out another striker joining. I did get the impression that they are at least looking around, if it will happen or not is a different question.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Do we 'need' a striker? I mean REALLY need a striker? Like desperately? I think not.

• Maupay and Trossard have been scoring goals and looking like scoring goals
• Welbeck came back and chipped in with a goal – no reason he won't keep that up, even if he isn't playing a full 90 (this is a guy who was on the pitch for 11 minutes and took seven touches before scoring, FFS!)
• Mac Allister would've got a MASSIVE confidence boost from scoring two at the weekend. Take that into the rest of the season and he'll take some of the weight off the forwards.

I grant you that:

• Llalana and Bissouma can't shoot for toffee – apart from the VERY occasional effort from YB
• With Dunk out and Duffy out of favour, our average height (and potential for headed goals from corners) is depleted (Hashtag Pray for Dan Burn)
• We still have the knack of creating a lot by delivering little – three goals away from home was a rarity and not likely to be common, not in this league (Clive).

However, we're ninth in the table. With what is, according to some people, a sub-standard set of strikers!

What do we do?

Go and spaff tens of millions of pounds on a massive gamble that might not pay off? Risk paying WAY over the odds in January, where prices are historically inflated because clubs (or fans of clubs, in some cases) are desperate for players? Take a gamble on an unknown and they end up not being Premier League Ready™ and they crash, burn and get sent out on loan at the beginning of the next season.

OR, what about going with a) what we've got already - players that are already delivering and then re-assessing in the summer and b) giving youngsters such as Ferguson a chance because evidence suggests that some of the players in and around the squad CAN fit right in and ARE good enough?

Yes, AC is gone and Locadia has departed for good but, apart from fleeting appearances, were they REALLY that close to being anything more than bit part players? What I mean is, we haven't exactly lost two key players of the squad who need to be IMMEDIATELY replaced.

TL;DR: We don't NEED a striker – people need to chill out a bit.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I do agree it could push a manager away.

At the moment its all good but a fall down the table and a finish just above the relegation zone would raise questions. Potter or any manager would not be happy for taking the blame for that if the reason is missed chances , injuries to 1 / 2 strikers and not being backed again.

For now its ok but we are effectively attempting to drive round the world with no spare wheel.

Unfortunately the solution comes at a cost and a gamble and we seem reluctant to do that . Look at our other mid table contenders in Palace and Villa and the wages they spunk. It's a tricky one but with everything in place at the club - now is the time to compliment all this with a big signing striker. If done right then is a game changer and means we have more tools for when we next struggle to convert chances / injuries / suspensions.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Connolly I think is a very good example. Built him up massively before he's started playing.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I would love a shiny, new striker or two, who wouldn't? However it will not be the end of the world if we don't get one, just slightly disappointing is all.

I thought everyone had gotten used to the Bloom strategy by now?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Do we 'need' a striker? I mean REALLY need a striker? Like desperately? I think not.

• Maupay and Trossard have been scoring goals and looking like scoring goals
• Welbeck came back and chipped in with a goal – no reason he won't keep that up, even if he isn't playing a full 90 (this is a guy who was on the pitch for 11 minutes and took seven touches before scoring, FFS!)
• Mac Allister would've got a MASSIVE confidence boost from scoring two at the weekend. Take that into the rest of the season and he'll take some of the weight off the forwards.

I grant you that:

• Llalana and Bissouma can't shoot for toffee – apart from the VERY occasional effort from YB
• With Dunk out and Duffy out of favour, our average height (and potential for headed goals from corners) is depleted (Hashtag Pray for Dan Burn)
• We still have the knack of creating a lot by delivering little – three goals away from home was a rarity and not likely to be common, not in this league (Clive).

However, we're ninth in the table. With what is, according to some people, a sub-standard set of strikers!

What do we do?

Go and spaff tens of millions of pounds on a massive gamble that might not pay off? Risk paying WAY over the odds in January, where prices are historically inflated because clubs (or fans of clubs, in some cases) are desperate for players? Take a gamble on an unknown and they end up not being Premier League Ready™ and they crash, burn and get sent out on loan at the beginning of the next season.

OR, what about going with a) what we've got already - players that are already delivering and then re-assessing in the summer and b) giving youngsters such as Ferguson a chance because evidence suggests that some of the players in and around the squad CAN fit right in and ARE good enough?

Yes, AC is gone and Locadia has departed for good but, apart from fleeting appearances, were they REALLY that close to being anything more than bit part players? What I mean is, we haven't exactly lost two key players of the squad who need to be IMMEDIATELY replaced.

TL;DR: We don't NEED a striker – people need to chill out a bit.

Fair enough to make the point that Maupay, Trossard and Welbeck have done well. But the issue is numbers isn't. In Covid times you need a little more cover than we actually have.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agree, could become too much. Think he is far from being considered "the solution" though, but I do think we'll get to see at least 60 minutes of Ferguson this season. Some of them tomorrow.

GP mentioned in the same comment that "Danny Welbeck is back and the window is open" so like I've said before... wont rule out another striker joining. I did get the impression that they are at least looking around, if it will happen or not is a different question.

I think he'll share the duties with Welbeck tomorrow. First 70 for Danny, last 20 for Evan, something like that

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nketiah? I think he's about the right level for the backup striker we want. Something to prove and should chip in with some quality/goals, and a clear upgrade on Connolly/Locadia.
Perfect. A bargain at twice the price.

Trouble is, he's three or four times the price of Connolly/Locadia (and probably more than that)..

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Both Origi and NKetiah are out of contact in June. I would say either is a bargain to be had in this window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Sky now report that Villa are after Biss!

I’m sure they are, along with a host of other clubs. They can all do one until the Summer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here