Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This season's decisions

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Firstly, it's bloody lucky we have been so good this season as we've still managed to get points in spite of some terrible decisions. If we'd been lower down the table it could easily have cost us our place in the league.

So, off the top of my head the glaring, very very obvious decisions that have gone against us:

All of yesterday's of course.

Pervis's mistaken offside v Palace

Fabinho non sending off v Liverpool

Mitoma's incorrect offside v Arsenal (the line was drawn on Ferguson's first not second touch)

March's non penalty v Villa

Welbeck's non penalty v Leicester (?)

What have I missed? Mwepu's very debatable offside v Leicester which ruled out MacAllister's wonder goal perhaps.
In the interests of fairness, what dodgy decisions have gone in our favour? Can't think of many.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I can’t find the table this morning but by some margin we’re bottom of the VAR incorrect against decisions - yesterday I make that 10 or 11 against us.

I know it’s the age old if my granny had balls she’d be my grandad argument but we’d be ahead of both Man U & Newcastle by some distance on the true merit of our performances.

I only hope the injustice of yesterday galvanises RDZ and the squad to over achieve even further between now and the end of the season.

I’m a 42 year old and I’m absolutely seething this morning. They must be apoplectic with rage.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Firstly, it's bloody lucky we have been so good this season as we've still managed to get points in spite of some terrible decisions. If we'd been lower down the table it could easily have cost us our place in the league.

So, off the top of my head the glaring, very very obvious decisions that have gone against us:

Mitoma's incorrect offside v Arsenal (the line was drawn on Ferguson's first not second touch)

What have I missed? Mwepu's very debatable offside v Leicester which ruled out MacAllister's wonder goal perhaps.
In the interests of fairness, what dodgy decisions have gone in our favour? Can't think of many.
I am pretty sure I saw Pervis make a foul throw a couple of weeks back, got away with that one.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I can’t find the table this morning but by some margin we’re bottom of the VAR incorrect against decisions - yesterday I make that 10 or 11 against us.

I know it’s the age old if my granny had balls she’d be my grandad argument but we’d be ahead of both Man U & Newcastle by some distance on the true merit of our performances.

I only hope the injustice of yesterday galvanises RDZ and the squad to over achieve even further between now and the end of the season.

I’m a 42 year old and I’m absolutely seething this morning. They must be apoplectic with rage.
I saw that table yesterday and it was bad enough in isolation but doesn't take account of the decisions that VAR didn't intervene in - like the Fabinho sending off or the non penalties. What an extraordinary season it's been.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

The Macallister goal against Leicester that was ruled out for Mwepu offside was a disgrace and could have cost us that game. As others have said we are bottom of the victims table for VAR this season costed around 6 points which feels about right

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm wondering how the subconscious bias against us manifests.

OK so you have referees who don't have a strong allegiance for any EPL side
But they want the EPL to be successful - their jobs depend on it
So they want success.

How does their subconscious process this?
On the whole the top six are more likely to win against teams like Brighton than not
This will drive the decision making

If I'm right there is not a lot we can do about it unless the whole process of referee vetting and training, and the whole VAR rubric are overhauled.

Screaming 'f*** VAR', by the way, is a total waste of time. It will be in the championship next season
Ironically, the loosening of VAR, the (largely complete) removal of the 3 minute review, and light touch VAR, all brought in to restore the spontaneity of the match day experience have instead increased the risk of egregiously wrong decisions.

I'd like to see more rigorous VAR. I am not in favour of sacrificing correct decisions for the sake of spontaneity, as many VAR opponents have declared. People on NSC have actually said they would rather see a perfectly fair Albion goal ruled out than have the game ruined by VAR. Well, that is not going to do anything about referees' subconscious bias against teams like Brighton.

Better VAR, better managed VAR more correct decisions by VAR is, I suspect the only solution.

When we interview people for a job these days we have to ask candidates all the same questions. None of that chatting with the white bloke before offering him the job, like we used to do 30 years ago.

More rules, more oversight, more rigour.

Not back to the old school. Prosser world, as it was.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Just been reminded. Doucoure's non blatant second yellow to add to the list. Have yet to hear one observer argue that wasn't an obvious error.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Welbeck should have got a pen at Old Trafford. Terrible var decision

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The only ‘generous’ VAR calls going in our favour I can think of is the Connoley penalty vs Everton and the Barnes offside at home to Leicester (twice).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I said on another thread (to be fair there are a few about yesterday) that the only very questionable and important decision we've had in our favour this season is sanchez handling out of his box at home to grimsby.

That to me speaks volumes about what is going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here