Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Duffy experiment ends 22nd Feb!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Get Adam Webster in to replace him for the Sheff United game.

Can’t pass the ball and worry’s me every time on the ball .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Couldn't disagree more. Why break up the defensive partnership that saved our sorry hides last season (and might just do the same again this season given the chance) in favour of expensive bad buy Webster and Galloping Dan Burn? Whatever happened to building from the back? It's in midfield that the serious major upgrade was needed IMHO

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This "experiment" tag that's used I find really insulting to players who are, after all, professional footballers. Duffy's with 30+ International Caps and has played over 100 games for the Albion, many of those in the EPL. "Experiment", really?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Tee hee!

To be honest Webster needed a break from the firing line. Duffy didn't fill himself with glory in the first half, but I don't think many defenders could cope with Doucoure running at them like that, unless they made a big gamble to go in for the tackle.

But then Duffy did step up second half, became his usual dominant self in the air. He has been out for a while. And you'll agree that the goals we've been conceding from set-pieces in recent games has become a worry.

I would keep him for Sheffield, and then reconsider for Palace where we are going to get a lot of possession.

Duffy's footwork is always scary though. I can't say I ever have any confidence when he gets the ball and is being closed down.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Tee hee!

To be honest Webster needed a break from the firing line. Duffy didn't fill himself with glory in the first half, but I don't think many defenders could cope with Doucoure running at them like that, unless they made a big gamble to go in for the tackle.

But then Duffy did step up second half, became his usual dominant self in the air. He has been out for a while. And you'll agree that the goals we've been conceding from set-pieces in recent games has become a worry.

I would keep him for Sheffield, and then reconsider for Palace where we are going to get a lot of possession.

Duffy's footwork is always scary though. I can't say I ever have any confidence when he gets the ball and is being closed down.

Good analysis and measured post. Spot on. He should be used vs Sheffield in the way they play.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Just to confirm by Duffy experiment you mean Shane "Player of the Year" Duffy right? Asking for a friend.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This "experiment" tag that's used I find really insulting to players who are, after all, professional footballers. Duffy's with 30+ International Caps and has played over 100 games for the Albion, many of those in the EPL. "Experiment", really?

Just to confirm by Duffy experiment you mean Shane "Player of the Year" Duffy right? Asking for a friend.

Whoosh and, indeed, whoosh.

Hopefully Duffy will get more match fit during the mini break as he didn't look it on Saturday. And, on a serious note, if we are going to use him then use him as a stopper. The attempted Dunk-like pass that went straight into touch was only surpassed by the backing off that gifted Watford their goal (though he was initially stitched up by both the poor pass from Mooy and the lack of midfield).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Couldn't disagree more. Why break up the defensive partnership that saved our sorry hides last season (and might just do the same again this season given the chance) in favour of expensive bad buy Webster and Galloping Dan Burn? Whatever happened to building from the back? It's in midfield that the serious major upgrade was needed IMHO

Webster / Duffy – I'm not that bothered who starts out of them to be perfectly honest. As you state, goals conceded against, Villa, Bournemouth, West Ham and Watford have all been breaks from midfield and/or mistakes, and the Villa / Watford home goals especially, direct mistakes from losing possession in midfield (Mooy x2).

Neither Villa, Bournemouth or Watford were causing us any problems when they scored.

Defence carrying the can for goals conceded when actually they're being let down a bit when the ball is won back, you have to keep the thing at least for a few seconds to recover.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Astonishing that this thread has got as far as NINE posts, without anybody bringing up his AMAZING decision to attempt a Cruyff turn, when last defender, with two Watford players a yard away from him, on Saturday! :eek:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tee hee!

Exactly. 'Orses for courses. I'd play Duffy versus Sheff Utd, and maybe against Palace too given Benteke's aerial presence. Webster is my preferred option when the opposition don't have a big lump up top.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Is there anyone who agrees with the following statement?

"They have both had chances and neither has made a compelling case for selection. Both would need to show an improvement for the rest of the season to be confident that they will be in the manager's plan to be a starting centre back next season"

It just seems like there are two camps. "Webster is brilliant and Duffy is terrible" or "Webster is terrible and Duffy is brilliant". With both parties apparently seizing on the mistakes of the one they don't think should be in the team with glee. The OP being a good example of this. It's a real sign of the times that we've managed to polarise this much.

Surely the truth is that there is a model next to them of the sort of standard they need to get to if we're not always going to be in a relegation battle. Neither Webster or Duffy have been close to Dunk's level this season, either in distribution or defensively.

If GP hasn't seen from either of them that they can get to this standard, then he needs to be looking at White, or Ostigard or whoever else could come in and get us to that level, because we can't ignore the possibility we'll lose Dunk in the summer and the chances of us surviving with two centre backs playing to the standard that Duffy and Webster have this season are very slim indeed

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

It was meant to be a humorous reference to a thread about Webster. The NSC parlance is you've been whooshed.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was meant to be a humorous reference to a thread about Webster. The NSC parlance is you've been whooshed.

Indeed. I'll leave to to NSC to decide whether it was indeed 'humorous'

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Astonishing that this thread has got as far as NINE posts, without anybody bringing up his AMAZING decision to attempt a Cruyff turn, when last defender, with two Watford players a yard away from him, on Saturday! :eek:

I don’t know whether you’ve seen it, and I’m not sure of the context, but Duffy posted a photo of himself mid Cruyff turn with the line “head and kick it son”. I’m not sure whether it’s meant to be self deprecating or he’s saying I’m more than just a battering ram.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don’t know whether you’ve seen it, and I’m not sure of the context, but Duffy posted a photo of himself mid Cruyff turn with the line “head and kick it son”. I’m not sure whether it’s meant to be self deprecating or he’s saying I’m more than just a battering ram.

Yes, just posted it above /\

It was definitely self-deprecating.

I read it as "Note to self, Shane. Don't be a dick with the ball. Know your limits"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here