Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The world scone mad

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
its on scone (own scone is posh not southern), and cream then jam. you'd not put jam then butter on toast. jam first is just a perversion by whichever county insists on that to be different.
heathen.

jam first then shed load of cream on top!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Stop these scone / crumb / marmalade / cream puns. We want more fish.
Fish puns are baked in, these are something altogether different

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
heathen.

jam first then shed load of cream on top!
A2EC8463-FDAD-4D27-BEF1-B98EB5B02D3E.gif

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Judging by previous replies, it could be scone as in "on"or it could as in "own" and it could be either jam first or it could be cream first. This just goes to show that you can have your cake and eat it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Judging by previous replies, it could be scone as in "on"or it could as in "own" and it could be either jam first or it could be cream first. This just goes to show that you can have your cake and eat it.
The older you get the more you find this debate just won't go away.
It's a quirk of our beloved English language, let me illustrate:

take "one" - pronounced "w-un" on its own.
Then put a "c" in front to make "cone" said as "co-own"
Now swap the "c" for a "g" to make "gone" said as "g-on"

But hey, put "sc" in front of "one" to give "scone" and everyone argues it either [ooh, is the "eye-ver" or "eve-er"?] should sound like "own" or "on" - yet "one" on its own but preceded with "sc" must surely be pronounced "sc-wun".

I also love how we have decided how to make syllables in words chosing where to break the word up.
Like "TITANIC" we say "Tye-tanic" yet those same letters could be read as "tit-a-nic"
Same for "CHICAGO" we say "She-cargo" but why not "Chic-a-go" - "Chic" being said as "chick"
How do you say "Yoghurt"? Some say "Yog-urt" others "Yo-gurt"
Americans calling "data" "dar-ter" when we say "day-ter"
Yanks again with "semi" saying "sem-eye" and us saying "sem-me"

Ooh, now where was I?
Ah yes, clotted cream on top of strawberry jam does it for me - maybe someone should put a poll up?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I also love how we have decided how to make syllables in words chosing where to break the word up.
Like "TITANIC" we say "Tye-tanic" yet those same letters could be read as "tit-a-nic"
Same for "CHICAGO" we say "She-cargo" but why not "Chic-a-go" - "Chic" being said as "chick"

Ooh, now where was I?
Ah yes, clotted cream on top of strawberry jam does it for me - maybe someone should put a poll up?
Titanic is from Greek, so presumably follows their pronunciation.

Chicago is a French corruption of a Native American word, so likewise.

Yoghurt, data and semi are, like so many Americanisms, pronunciations closer to those which the Pilgrims would have used, which they kept and we have evolved away from.

Cream first - it's the butter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ime USians usually say "daa-ta" long "a". there are a few and New Zealanders (and Canadians?) who say "dar-ta" which is always daft in database, switching a in the same word :shrug:

oh and another philistine.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Adjusted for you :laugh:

Oddly enough had a cream tea today - bought from a local cafe near B Hill as a takeaway and taken to my old mum who loves it. The scones (‘owns’ not ‘ons’) were great (contained fruit, which Mrs D promptly removed), the cream was clotted (only allowed option) and went on first followed by strawberry jam. No butter, the cream does the job the butter would - hence why it HAS to go on first. The jam is then dolloped, not ’spread’.

Mrs D, Mum D and I are all Devon born, so know about these things. Don’t listen to anyone influenced by the inbreds from the wrong side of the Tamar.
No butter?
Buttered scone (gone) then jam, then cream.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The older you get the more you find this debate just won't go away.
It's a quirk of our beloved English language, let me illustrate:

take "one" - pronounced "w-un" on its own.
Then put a "c" in front to make "cone" said as "co-own"
Now swap the "c" for a "g" to make "gone" said as "g-on"

But hey, put "sc" in front of "one" to give "scone" and everyone argues it either [ooh, is the "eye-ver" or "eve-er"?] should sound like "own" or "on" - yet "one" on its own but preceded with "sc" must surely be pronounced "sc-wun".

Ooh, now where was I?
When I worked for Nat West in the late 80s American Express (and it's roundabout) was always seemingly 'Amex' as in aim-ex. But it's now 'am'-ex. I still have to correct myself.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No, no, a hundred times no.
Back to the OP and the story of Sarak Merker who tried a Scone with Cream and Jam at every National trust property and I dare say is now a bit of an expert, so much so that shes written a book on Amazon about it.......... check out the cover pic of said Cream/Jam and weep!

I hope the National trust urgently considers a banning order from all of its properties for seeking to radicalise the good folks partaking in the correct manner at its cafes.

scone.jpg

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Back to the OP and the story of Sarak Merker who tried a Scone with Cream and Jam at every National trust property and I dare say is now a bit of an expert, so much so that shes written a book on Amazon about it.......... check out the cover pic of said Cream/Jam and weep!

I hope the National trust urgently considers a banning order from all of its properties for seeking to radicalise the good folks partaking in the correct manner at its cafes.

View attachment 157848
Yeah, but ...

With the scone top on, shirley all one need do is invert the entire gubbins.
Then the jam's on top - five minute job [probably less] - everyone happy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here