Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Trossard "push"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree this is pretty much where we are at. Stinking decision but if we’re ever to get out of the VAR wormhole, we’ve got to accept refs won’t ever get everything right. Maybe it was better when they got things wrong like this - in a split second - than now, when they watch it 30 times and still make a baffling decision.

If it had gone to VAR, would they have decided it was a ‘clear and obvious error’? Possibly not, because Trossard touched the defender. So they could think ‘no foul’ but also that it was understandable the ref gave it, and so not intervene. They’re, bizarrely, not actually judging the incident, but the referee. Which is one reason why its implementation is a crock of shit.

It would have gone to VAR only if the referee allowed play on and a goal was scored. And it would have gone to VAR only if the ref then called 'offside' after the goal had been scored. The rubric then becomes awkward. As you say VAR would take no action unless they theough the ref had made a clear and obvious error, so the decision to call back the game and give a foul is the on field ref's. At that point, as you say, VAR would have decided 'yeah, whatever'. It shouldn't do this and the rubric should be changed because unlike offside this (shove or dive) is very much a judgement call. The rubric should be that play should go on and if the the 'offender' team gets a goal scoring advantage (and I would include a corner as well as a goal) from the same phase of play, the referee should check the video if he thinks it may be an offence, and VAR should insist on a video review by the onfield ref if the ref thinks there was no offense. Simple.

I am very certainly not saying put every shove on the pitch through VAR review, I am saying when there is a goal or corner 'won' by the potentially offending player in the same phase of play.

In the present case Leo was robbed of a goal scoring opportunity because the ref blew too soon (unforgivable). The liklihood that the ref would probably have ruled it out for a push if he waited to view the vid is irrelevant.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agree dont know what fuss is about. We all want refs to make more decisions rather then VAR. Right or wrong he made a decision that it was a foul.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I realise this is naïve, but is this not what VAR was implemented for (to review incorrect decisions that could change the outcome of the match)?

Typical of many of the 'initiatives' introduced by the corrupt, dinosaur mob. Good idea implemented about as badly as it could be

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It wasn’t a foul but Trossard made it too easy for the ref to give it as soon as he raised his arms and touched the defender. He was always going to give the free kick at that point.

One of my biggest frustrations in football is when defenders are going back towards their goal and the attackers get too close and end up fouling them when there’s no need and likewise, Trossard didn’t need to raise his arms.

Absolutely, poor decision, but don’t give the ref a decision to make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
It wasn’t a foul but Trossard made it too easy for the ref to give it as soon as he raised his arms and touched the defender. He was always going to give the free kick at that point.

One of my biggest frustrations in football is when defenders are going back towards their goal and the attackers get too close and end up fouling them when there’s no need and likewise, Trossard didn’t need to raise his arms.

Couldn’t agree more. I absolutely hate the way attacking players get too close to the defender who is in trouble, goes down and gets the free kick. Obviously it’s the referees fault but attackers need to be smarter. Trossard didn’t need to put his arm up as crap as that decision was.

Another hate is defenders allowing attackers to the corners when time wasting and fouling them. So thick. Can’t remember the last time we were doing that as it’s fun being on the winning team at that point!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Still annoyed by this. We should have got this goal and got the win.

Tross is really cursed in front of goal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not that it fits with the 'comedy' narrative, but The Tross might actually be close to shaking off his Man Utd trauma:-

[tweet]1345496974229970944[/tweet]

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If Trossard hadn't raised an arm, he'd have got away with it.

THen hit the post ��

If Trossard hadn’t raised an arm he wouldn’t have done anything to get away with.
Just a bad call by the ref who blew when he thought he saw a foul and the ball is then dead. I don’t think that refs are expected to defer a decision on a foul for VAR analysis. In this case, had he not blown, it would probably have been reviewed and, after a 5 minute wait, they would probably get it wrong!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If he hadn't have put his arms on the defender, he wouldn't have gone down and Trossard wouldn't have had a one on one. Trossard did the right thing, a little shove and hope he gets away with it. Many weeks he would have done.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Very unlucky, not a foul, but ref blew and Wolves stopped defending, Trossard free of any pressure finished beautifully. However scenario might have ended differently without the whistle.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Couldn’t agree more. I absolutely hate the way attacking players get too close to the defender who is in trouble, goes down and gets the free kick. Obviously it’s the referees fault but attackers need to be smarter. Trossard didn’t need to put his arm up as crap as that decision was.

Another hate is defenders allowing attackers to the corners when time wasting and fouling them. So thick. Can’t remember the last time we were doing that as it’s fun being on the winning team at that point!

If he hadn't put his arm up the defender would have cleared the ball. Trying to get those little advantages is the heads-up clever play we need more of from our team, he didn't get away with it on that occasion, another day he will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here