Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Top Six v The Top Six

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
You think finishing 10th next season would be a good season!? If that happens we could see a real slide back into obscurity I reckon
Yeah I think adjusting to playing in the Europa League, losing two of our best players and finishing in the top half of the table would be a good season. How often have teams qualified for Europe and then slipped down the table. Leicester fans were probably fed up with them bottling the top 4 two seasons in a row, now look where they are.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You think finishing 10th next season would be a good season!? If that happens we could see a real slide back into obscurity I reckon
Reality check: our second-best ever season (the season before this one), we finished 9th, and that was without a European competition fixture pile up and a squad containing a player who has since won the world cup.

I'd take 14th and ideally finishing above Palace for a third straight year, then kick on again the year after that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You know what folks, I’m becoming rather fond of being a Top Six side. Long may it continue.

No more posts quoting stats from “the other 14” site! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Next season, we need to focus on beating teams like Villa, Fulham and Brentford. If we can crack those nuts, we’ll surely be Top Six for a good while to come.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Wow a bookies offering odds of 5/1 for Brighton to finish in the Champions League places, never would I have thought we’d be on such low odds.

Next season I think we will finish lower than 6th with all the extra European games plus probably losing Mac and Caicedo.

I think a getting to the knock out stages of the Europa League and a top half finish would a very good season.
Those odds of 5/1 are to finish in top four. Next season England will have at least 5, and up to 7, Champions League places for 24/25, so I'd wager the odds will be even better!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Different question I know, but we have taken a phenomenal 20 points against the so-called Big 6. Six v Chelsea and ManU; four v Liverpool; three v Arsenal and 1 v City. Only Spurs (somehow) took all six from us which for me confirms that our problem is against the sit-back and play-on-the-break teams. This is RDZ's summer homework: how to refine our style to break down the low block and teams that sit back against us, and how to better manage the transition when we lose the ball. It would be interesting to have comparative stats of how many goals we concede on the counter-attack. A speedy replacement for Colwill and a rapid right-back who can cover are essentials for me (not convinced about Tariq's defensive quality).

PG

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You know what folks, I’m becoming rather fond of being a Top Six side. Long may it continue.

No more posts quoting stats from “the other 14” site! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

There's a big, big difference between 'top six' (finishing position) and 'big six' (superclubs with huge global followings, who can nick our players).

We're still very much part of the Other 14.

Edit: FB and Insta followers/increases prove that the biggest are getting bigger. Even Spurs! :eek:

social-1.png

social-2.png

Last edited:

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
Indeed, the number range we are obviously talking about here being digits 1 to 20...
You just don't get it do you. @HalfaSeatOn , @Herr Tubthumper and myself are all talking about the DISTRIBUTION OF POINTS, so digits 10 to 20 would be the number range. I thought the explanations in my posts #6 and #11 were idiot-proof, but obviously I was wrong.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You just don't get it do you. @HalfaSeatOn , @Herr Tubthumper and myself are all talking about the DISTRIBUTION OF POINTS, so digits 10 to 20 would be the number range. I thought the explanations in my posts #6 and #11 were idiot-proof, but obviously I was wrong.
If you go back and read post #3 closely, you'll see they are referring to where we would have finished in a micro-league of teams in the second quartile. Frankly I don't know what they are on about there either as our double over Chelsea would have had no impact in that mini-league either (Chelsea having finished in the third quartile). All the same, at the no point did they refer to the point distribution of this mini table, as is obvious with a bit of basic reading comprehension. How you have inferred that I have no clue - it tells us nothing.

Now, please tell me again what an idiot I am?

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
1.5 points per game, only slightly below our overall average of 1.63.

PWDLFAGDPts
Man City1062225141120
Albion104331916315
Liverpool104242118314
Arsenal104241720-314
Newcastle102441012-210
Man Utd103161324-1110
This shows that Newcastle performed relatively poorly against the top teams. They got 4 of their points against us, without which they'd be on 6 points (and we'd presumably be on 20, like Man City).
It also serves as a reminder that Spurs and Chelsea are not in the top 6, but we are.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here