Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Times: Paul Barber didn't see the point of merely suspending Premier League matches

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I concur. There is really no option other than to scrap the season and treat it as if the season 2019/20 never happened.

Peoples lives and livelihoods are far more important than sport.

Of course it will hurt the small clubs who rely heavily on gate receipts for survival but many businesses are not going to survive, sadly football clubs are no different.

That’s blurring entirely separate issues.

If the remaining fixtures are completed at some later date when safe to do so, the name tag given to the season, whether it be 2019/20, 2020/21 or 2021/22, will have absolutely no effect on mortality rates.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You mentioned a season Jan to Nov which would include the summer and probably decimate cricket attendances. Also, after that is the World Cup and when that finishes on 18th Dec, when are you proposing the next season to start? Revert to August then that's one hell of a long break when clubs won't be receiving any income!!!

As others have suggested, if we were at war, the season would be over, voided. In 1939 Blackpool were leading the first division when war broke out. There is no record of them having won the league that season!!! Admittedly only 3 games had been played but after the war there was a brand new season from 46 to 47.

:lolol: How long did the WWII last? And only 3 games were played. You cannot use that as a comparison.

I didn't suggest football becoming a summer sport as I know it is too hot to play at it's peak, but also 12 weeks is too long. I don't see a problem with with making the summer breaks being reduced to 8 weeks and introducing a 4 week winter break

All I have said is this season has to be concluded, and if it is June, July, August or September then so bit it, but whenever it is, it could easily be managed to fit in with the next disruption of the WC November 2022. How the season shifts back, and if they make a winter break fit with a shorter summer break, it is a very good time to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here