Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The quality of life

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, while its not perfect and I wouldnt have done it myself I'm not gonna start bashing people for doing relatively petty mistakes/dumb decisions during this. Those mistakes/decisions will happen in millions and millions until the big apparatus locks people up. While I think EVERYONE should be very careful and risk averting, I'm not waving the "you're gonna kill us all!" stick at any single individual.

Who did ? It was pointed out that it wasn’t perhaps a wise thing to do. You’ve now massively contradicted yourself and are backtracking, I’m out.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
If it was guaranteed that ""only"" 100-300k in a country the size of yours would die from this, I would agree that measures of this degree were debatable.

However in this extraordinary scenario that is happening... if 80% of the population got this virus in a very short while - say another month or two - MILLIONS of people would likely die from it just in the UK. While I hope some type of system is put together for the oldest and the youngest so they are not entirely locked up for months, the measure of... removing freedom is temporarily necessary.

When this pandemic is over we're gonna need to put an extra eye on our governments though, making sure they dont abuse their new powers and skills in harmful ways.

Well no millions wouldn’t. The worst case estimates of the model showed 80% infection with mortality in the region of 0.75-1% therefore c6-700k deaths IF it was left to run its natural course.

The government rightly consider the doing jack shit option unpalatable but there def wouldn’t be millions of deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Most the oldens I talk to seem to be carrying on as normal and won’t be told .

To be fair to them if they are fit and healthy then they will be fine but they do seem to be the worst at obeying the suggestions

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Well no millions wouldn’t. The worst case estimates of the model showed 80% infection with mortality in the region of 0.75-1% therefore c6-700k deaths IF it was left to run its natural course.

The government rightly consider the doing jack shit option unpalatable but there def wouldn’t be millions of deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is simply not even close to being true.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The quality of life

I get all the impositions of life at the moment but I worry the government has lost sight of the meaning and purpose of life, It is not simply to stay in for months on end scared of a virus. It is to LIVE, be free and enjoy. This is their big issue. There comes a tipping point when it is not about digging in for months and years on end but actually living a life. More so for over 70s imo and there will come a point people will just take their chances

That is the real challenge they have

Quality of life

That is what I do. Make calculated decsions but not terrified of living or what is the point ?
Should we assume that you're not over 70, and you're not in poor health?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Are you sure 600m every year? World population is around 7.5bn. That’s about 8% of the worlds population every year? Human kind won’t be around in 15 years time? And that’s just the flu, let alone Covid 19 and cancer?

I think he's accidentally added an extra nought to each figure!! I hope he's not that reckless when arranging mortgages!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think he's accidentally added an extra nought to each figure!! I hope he's not that reckless when arranging mortgages!!

Not ONE extra nought. THREE extra noughts. (the figures should be thousands, rather than millions)

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Not sure clarify and is there really any need to be abusive every time. You might want to address that to have any sort of a debate it really does not help things x

I think what you meant to type was something like, ooh I got that wrong didn't I, and I think I've actually made the same mistake twice on this thread and once on another. Not good, sorry.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Most the oldens I talk to seem to be carrying on as normal and won’t be told .

To be fair to them if they are fit and healthy then they will be fine but they do seem to be the worst at obeying the suggestions

No they won't. Or at least a lot of them won't. The immune system's ability to deal with infection declines with age, that's the whole point.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry made a right ricket there !, Obviously I mean't thousands not millions. I blame the vodka. I am avoiding corona posts here and social media and will hole up in my flat for the foreseeable with the Pup. Good luck everyone

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Usually I would totally agree with you , however this is a unique situation , never happened in my lifetime. If people do what they are told , stay in or at the very least massively decrease their social contacts , then as I understand it, we as a country will get over this terrible virus more quickly and less innocent people will die .

For these two reasons , I am happy to have not such a great quality of life for the next few months. And I would like to add, this is not easy for me , I love eating out in restaurants and I usually go abroad on hols at least 4 times a year and enjoy theatre, cinema etc , so it is a huge wrench but occasionally in life you have to do what is right ..

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
The quality of life

I get all the impositions of life at the moment but I worry the government has lost sight of the meaning and purpose of life, It is not simply to stay in for months on end scared of a virus. It is to LIVE, be free and enjoy. This is their big issue. There comes a tipping point when it is not about digging in for months and years on end but actually living a life. More so for over 70s imo and there will come a point people will just take their chances

That is the real challenge they have

Quality of life

That is what I do. Make calculated decsions but not terrified of living or what is the point ?

Here in Oz medical experts are worrying about the effects of isolation on the old and alone.Already one suicide in Sydney might be attributed to an old guy who feared isolation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here