NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I hope he's playing on Saturday.

325203c14bc97aaf828f722d45ce190a.jpg

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not awarding the goal against Villa is a travesty and a whole waste of the game.
It should be awarded after review and the table adjusted.
It is so wrong to just do nothing and shrug the shoulders.
Arsenal are still going to beat us.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I thought they werent doing the double jeopardy of red card + penalty

According to the NBC coverage over here, the defending playing has to make a legitimate attempt to play the ball (and the ref decided in this case Luiz didn't).

No idea if that is correct or not.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
According to the NBC coverage over here, the defending playing has to make a legitimate attempt to play the ball (and the ref decided in this case Luiz didn't).

No idea if that is correct or not.

That is correct, if a player is deemed to have made a genuine attempt to play the ball when committing the foul then only a penalty is given. Violent conduct or a professional foul will still result in a red card. Luiz made no attempt to play the ball, he didn't even break his stride in an attempt to get to the ball, so was sent off for what the ref considered a professional foul.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Y'know who I feel sorry for in all this? Carl Jenkinson. There he is, yers later, having finally put that awful day behind him, and now he has to wake up to all the news and social media comments going on about how Luiz is the first player to make a mistake leading to a goal, concede a penalty and get sent off in one game since Carl Jenkinson. I've not turned my TV on, but I won't be surprised of Sky are replaying his incidences, too...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is correct, if a player is deemed to have made a genuine attempt to play the ball when committing the foul then only a penalty is given. Violent conduct or a professional foul will still result in a red card. Luiz made no attempt to play the ball, he didn't even break his stride in an attempt to get to the ball, so was sent off for what the ref considered a professional foul.

The only professional aspect of his 22 minute cameo - word up.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here