Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The pitch

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Man city moaned about it being too dry in last game of season they wanted it watered more and it wasn't simply because it is down to how the home team want it. POTTERS fault.

A tactic used by many against City (and other top sides) to stop the ball running so fast on the surface. Commented on many times last year. Worked well didn't it?

Well, yeah.

However, they created several actual puddles. One on the halfway line and one on the bare patch on the North West side of the pitch. Surely that’s not right? Games got called off for that at Withdean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think Mr Barber needs an email about this. Why is our pitch so poor compared to other premier league pitches which suffer worse weather than ours!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Think Mr Barber needs an email about this. Why is our pitch so poor compared to other premier league pitches which suffer worse weather than ours!!!

I think Mr Barber has earned the week off after what he had to deal with last week :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well, yeah.

However, they created several actual puddles. One on the halfway line and one on the bare patch on the North West side of the pitch. Surely that’s not right? Games got called off for that at Withdean.

I saw those puddles whilst the sprinklers were on, but they seemed to disappear nearly as soon as they were turned off, and I don't recall the ball ever looking like it was slowing due to moving through standing water.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Frankie Howard would be having kittens.
I agree that the amount of water they flood onto it cannot be good for it’s condition. Shame they can’t learn to play on an ordinary surface.

Good though he was the AMEX is a million times better than the Goldstone. Mainly due to far superior drainage. At times the Goldstone six yard box was like a sandpit.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Good though he was the AMEX is a million times better than the Goldstone. Mainly due to far superior drainage. At times the Goldstone six yard box was like a sandpit.

And by February most of the pitch was often like a sandpit, but at the start of the season he had it looking better than the Amex in August.
The Goldstone pitch was the love of Frankie's life, my Dad knew him and he allowed me kick a ball around when I was about 10 my Dad then took me to a match and that was that.
Frankie also sneaked me into The Goldstone for the FA Cup QF against Norwich even though it was full well before kick off with loads being turned away.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
And where I sat also.

However, I then reflected that I have not been trained, and I’m not paid, to look after a Premier League pitch.

Those who put the sprinklers on have been trained and are paid so probably have more of an idea than me.

The reason, I believe, is that the water from the sprinklers has a different effect to rainfall. Whereas rain leads to a soggy pitch, the angle of the water from sprinklers means it clings to the blades of grass and creates the 'zippy' surface that's perfect for passes.

Or something like that..

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Would your surface have anything to do with the large amount of donkeys grazing and doing their business on it ?

Our pitch is in pristine condition, and I’m more then happy with our donkeys :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I asked my mate ( who's a groundsman and was part of the cull a while back ) and he said the head groundsman is 'a ****'

that exaplians everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here