The Palace Pier is back - and charging entrance fee

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I deal with the pier a lot on the retail side of things. Each year they get 10 million visitors but standing at the exit it is surprising how many people just go for a stroll on the pier. The odd drink, chips or candy floss maybe, but the vast majority spend nothing. Yes it is expensive but it's the Brighton Pier, what do you expect? So it's that 6 million people they want money from.
Incidentally, anyone who says credit cards cost too much to accept, £1 on a card!!!
That’s an urban myth……

However, it’s like energy or a mobile phone contract, if you’re not prepared to go out and find a good deal, you’ll be bent over backwards with horrific fees.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Right, that's the inconvenience! Travel 3,700 miles and then have the cheek to charge me £1?
Not sure what all the fuss is about. It's perfectly straightforward to recoup your entrance money on the pier. Or failing that, a plastic monkey

0_2p-machine-2.jpg

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

I heard a German television network was going to produce a morning show from several waterfronts in the UK and call it "Piers Morgan"

I heard it was hard to understand and Brighton was not favoured.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It won't stay as £1 for long. This is a genuine change to the business model.

It's a stupid idea, visitor numbers will drop off, they will make even less money. That's my prediction anyway
Well if they do then they'll probably scrap it again. (I'm not sure why they stopped charging admission in the first place back in the 70s or whenever it was)

Anyway, I don't mind the charge if the quality of the fish and chips improves. Did I mention it used to be good but now it's now rubbish? I think I probably did; my wife says I'm obsessed by it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I deal with the pier a lot on the retail side of things. Each year they get 10 million visitors but standing at the exit it is surprising how many people just go for a stroll on the pier. The odd drink, chips or candy floss maybe, but the vast majority spend nothing. Yes it is expensive but it's the Brighton Pier, what do you expect? So it's that 6 million people they want money from.
Incidently, anyone who says credit cards cost too much to accept, £1 on a card!!!
Firstly it's the PALACE Pier NOT Brighton Pier. Secondly, do you charge say a 20p entrance charge to enter your shop to go towards upkeep to allow for people browsing and spending nothing ? Thought not .... and you'd be mad to do so. I certainly won't be paying a pound to get on the glorified fair ground on a seabound platform. I have though applied for a residents pass, not going to use it but as it's free it's worth doing for the shits and giggles of costing the PALACE Pier some money.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Firstly it's the PALACE Pier NOT Brighton Pier. Secondly, do you charge say a 20p entrance charge to enter your shop to go towards upkeep to allow for people browsing and spending nothing ? Thought not .... and you'd be mad to do so. I certainly won't be paying a pound to get on the glorified fair ground on a seabound platform. I have though applied for a residents pass, not going to use it but as it's free it's worth doing for the shits and giggles of costing the PALACE Pier some money.
Obviously the Brighton Pier should be Palace Pier, my error. You're right, I'll not charge to enter my shop, but I work hard to have things people want to spend money on. I guess it's like outside Christmas decorations. You do it for free but some houses spend big and like a charity donation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports