The Palace Pier is back - and charging entrance fee

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A £1 entry fee from 25 May.

Iirc there was a charge when I were a lad.

The admission fee will not apply to Brighton residents who have a Brighton Palace Pier local residents card.
I believe there was, certainly the kiosks are there. Worthing pier definitely had an entrance charge in the 1960s.

And rather than start a new thread I want to moan about how shit the fish and chips are now. The restaurant used to be good, with the food served on china plates. Expensive, yes, but good. We were there a few weeks ago and the portions were mangy, small and served on faux newspaper. And the children's chicken nuggets were absolutely inedible - and I can eat McDonalds nuggets.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Just mentioned on the BBC1 lunchtime national news.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Worthing Pier always had an entrance fee, when I was a lad (late70's - early 80s)

I think it may have stopped shortly after Connaught House Arcade opened up

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I deal with the pier a lot on the retail side of things. Each year they get 10 million visitors but standing at the exit it is surprising how many people just go for a stroll on the pier. The odd drink, chips or candy floss maybe, but the vast majority spend nothing. Yes it is expensive but it's the Brighton Pier, what do you expect? So it's that 6 million people they want money from.
Incidently, anyone who says credit cards cost too much to accept, £1 on a card!!!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I deal with the pier a lot on the retail side of things. Each year they get 10 million visitors but standing at the exit it is surprising how many people just go for a stroll on the pier. The odd drink, chips or candy floss maybe, but the vast majority spend nothing. Yes it is expensive but it's the Brighton Pier, what do you expect? So it's that 6 million people they want money from.
Incidently, anyone who says credit cards cost too much to accept, £1 on a card!!!
Nope, not saying it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It won't stay as £1 for long. This is a genuine change to the business model.

It's a stupid idea, visitor numbers will drop off, they will make even less money. That's my prediction anyway
£1 sounds alright. It used to cost money back when I were a lad (6d probably) - wouldn't have any bother forking out a Thatcher (thick, brassy and thinks it's a sovereign) for a breezy perambulation up one side of the pier and down t'other!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
People with a BN postcode can apply for an exemption card. Website: brightonpier.co.uk
As a resident of Lancing with a BN post code, i should be able to get an exemption card?

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
IMG_2454.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports