Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The only downside

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We don't get to watch Birmingham every game. The way they move the ball from back to front so effortlessly, the way their midfield links with the defence and strikers... Stuff of dreams. Would love to watch Leroy Lita putting in that sort of effort every game and really admire their stout and strong defence.
Gutted we don't play more like that, Gus take note.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We don't get to watch Birmingham every game. The way they move the ball from back to front so effortlessly, the way their midfield links with the defence and strikers... Stuff of dreams. Would love to watch Leroy Lita putting in that sort of effort every game and really admire their stout and strong defence.

That strong and stout defense that allowed Craig Davies to put 4 past them? Ok then :lolol:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Are you actually serious? We have an off game with several players out, and now you want us to play like Birmingham?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
They'll be thrilled with 3 points. The goal was route one and they had little else to offer upfront. Lita's role was very ugly indeed. They were great at time wasting though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The irony was lost on me. You never know on nsc :thumbsup:

Sadly, that's all too true!

I thought Butland looked fantastic tonight though, in all seriousness. I know he looked a bit weak when crosses came in, it's a theme with English goalkeepers now to be reactive rather than aggresive it seems. I read an interview with Joe Hart recently where he said that he models his game on Iker Casillas, who relies on his reflexes and his instincts rather than trying to catch every cross. What I think Hart misses, though, is that Casillas isn't very tall and therefore he doesn't have the option. Hart is 6'3 and Butland looked atleast 6' to me. Other than his weakness dealing with the higher balls into the box, I thought he looked good with his feet and he stood up well to the crosses fizzed toward the near post in the second half.

Birmingham's approach was summed up on about 80n mins when their 24 burst across the halfway line, and as the defence parted, rather than head on for goal, he remembered the game plan and passed the ball back to GREER!
Sadly, that's all too true!

I thought Butland looked fantastic tonight though, in all seriousness. I know he looked a bit weak when crosses came in, it's a theme with English goalkeepers now to be reactive rather than aggresive it seems. I read an interview with Joe Hart recently where he said that he models his game on Iker Casillas, who relies on his reflexes and his instincts rather than trying to catch every cross. What I think Hart misses, though, is that Casillas isn't very tall and therefore he doesn't have the option. Hart is 6'3 and Butland looked atleast 6' to me. Other than his weakness dealing with the higher balls into the box, I thought he looked good with his feet and he stood up well to the crosses fizzed toward the near post in the second half.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

They created absolutely nothing all game. Very professional performance, but very dull in an attacking sense.

Ugh. I'm drunk, and you've taken advantage of that. Fair play sir.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Their keeper was very commanding, he was also giving it the large to us lot in the North during breaks in play, the gobby tosspot. Probably wouldn't recognise him if he walked past me in the street but would willing plant one on the wanker given the opportunity :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
we are only 3 points ahead of palace that's a downside

Palace? Who gives a f*** about Palace?

It's strange how certain teams have a reputation and so often seem to fit it. I always expect Leeds to be dirty, Spurs to be exciting etc, and with Birmingham their outstanding quality is being BORING. When they were in the EPL they were one of the most tedious teams you will ever see. Last season they were horrible to watch and only ever seemed to record 0-0s or 1-0s. And yet again, nothing has changed. They just hoofed it forward or out of play at every opportunity. Loads of big men scrapping for the ball. It must be awful to pay money to see them. There cannot be a team in the land that offers less entertainment to their fans. I'm not saying they're a terrible team, but f*** me they are dull.

Completely agree with every word. I feel fairly similar about Aston Villa, very tedious club with the exception of the lavish O'Neill era.

Their keeper was very commanding, he was also giving it the large to us lot in the North during breaks in play, the gobby tosspot. Probably wouldn't recognise him if he walked past me in the street but would willing plant one on the wanker given the opportunity :)

Butland beware! What was he saying/doing?

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Palace? Who gives a f*** about Palace?

Completely agree with every word. I feel fairly similar about Aston Villa, very tedious club with the exception of the lavish O'Neill era.

Butland beware! What was he saying/doing?

Couldn't hear what he was saying but he kept turning around & laughing at the dodgy refs decisions, cupping his ears etc, complete tosspot :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Couldn't hear what he was saying but he kept turning around & laughing at the dodgy refs decisions, cupping his ears etc, complete tosspot :)

Seems a very cocky young gentleman... Did he atleast give a thumbs up or a little clap to the North at the end? I think it was Federici last season who seemed to have a running conversation with the North and it seemed to end quite well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's strange how certain teams have a reputation and so often seem to fit it. I always expect Leeds to be dirty, Spurs to be exciting etc, and with Birmingham their outstanding quality is being BORING. When they were in the EPL they were one of the most tedious teams you will ever see. Last season they were horrible to watch and only ever seemed to record 0-0s or 1-0s. And yet again, nothing has changed. They just hoofed it forward or out of play at every opportunity. Loads of big men scrapping for the ball. It must be awful to pay money to see them. There cannot be a team in the land that offers less entertainment to their fans. I'm not saying they're a terrible team, but f*** me they are dull.

It's also down to Lee Clark - he bizarrely got a completely undeserved reputation with Hudds for playing good football. He didn't. They were very physical and hoofball when they played us in our League One promotion season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here