Potter In our Out?

• In

Votes: 200 53.2%
  • Out

Votes: 176 46.8%

• Total voters

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
I’m off the fence. We are just so frustrating. The team changes every week, not sure who is playing where. Clearly not working by squeezing White into random positions, just play the best two centre backs who work best together. Set piece defending is appalling. Mac Allister good enough to bring in early last jan, but why not good enough to have a run? Also, why has Maty Ryan gone from a very good PL keeper to being ditched. It seems a mess this year - I might be wrong, but to me we need a leader who will bring the team together and get some fight, passion and winning spirit into the squad.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Today had once again shown us we have decent players who are badly organised to cope with any pressure put on by the opposition. This won’t change unless we have a better manager

I am concerned that within our management team there seems to be an inability to organise defensively. None of our failings at the back have, thus far, been corrected. It seem that all the emphasis is on ball carrying out of defence. Expansive football without a solid defensive base. I want to see signs that we are becoming more resolute at the back. I don't see them and I worry that we won't under this regime.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I’m off the fence. We are just so frustrating. The team changes every week, not sure who is playing where. Clearly not working by squeezing White into random positions, just play the best two centre backs who work best together. Set piece defending is appalling. Mac Allister good enough to bring in early last jan, but why not good enough to have a run? Also, why has Maty Ryan gone from a very good PL keeper to being ditched. It seems a mess this year - I might be wrong, but to me we need a leader who will bring the team together and get some fight, passion and winning spirit into the squad.

Feels like changes for the sake of changes.
Potter has no experience at this level. One moderate season in the Championship ( 10th ) Doesn't mean that he can't learn and adapt but it may involve relegation before it stabilises. To base everything on a possession based style, played largely in front of the opposition, at a medium paced tempo, relies on accuracy, good delivery and clinical finishing. Its ok if you are solid at the back. When you aren't, you start to struggle.
Can any Albion fan actually say at this stage of the season what our best starting eleven is? I can't. There are changes every game. Players appear for one game then disappear for some time. Maybe Potter believes in picking different teams for different opposition. I just don't know. I am confused as well.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I'm surprised you're not marching up and down the Shoreham Road waving a big 'Porter Out' banner. Where is your commitment? I saw nobody on the news this evening taking the sort of Direct Action necessary to save The Albion. :shrug:

Or . . . .are you just talking this Great Club down? Just like those anti Brexit moaning minnies who can't accept a referendum result and keep talking this Great Nation down. ???

You decide. Start that People's Porter Our campaign or.....you can guess the rest :shrug:

Oh dear. Someone’s been on the xmas Sherry. Let’s chat in the morning when you’re able to communicate with a bit less of a slur and we might have the ability to work out what on earth you’re banging on about?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
NSC’s at its most hilarious tonight, no doubt some big hangovers tomorrow.

Apparently:
Solly and Lallana were crap, Bissouma didn’t shine, we were slow, ponderous and boring, unlike CH’s EPL football up to Dec 2018.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

And all because we drew a game away from home which we deserved to win.

Hysterical.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As always with these polls I can only vote based on what I see.

Yesterday, we were full and predictable and failed to breakdown a poor West Ham team. Our stats often tell one story but the evidence of our eyes another. We are very weak and paper thin in attack. I really have no confidence in Potter’s plan to break down an opposition defence.

I’m less concerned about our own defence. If we are going to be expansive then we are going to ship a few goals, but as we’ve seen on other threads, we are not conceding more goals than in other seasons - not dramatically so.

The team does seem to chop and change constantly and Potter is tinkering but with no good effect.

I desperately want it to go right for him but based on the poor return over the past year and the fact that I am as bored by Potterball as I was by the last days of Hughton (although this is secondary as I recognize that we are a lower league PL team) then I have to vote OUT.

Let’s hope he proves us all wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Out. We are on target to win 5 games this season, not won any of the last 11 home games and a win ratio of 20%, 11 in 53

Another case of hoping 3 teams are worse this season

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just did some reading in a lot of old "CH In/Out" threads (there is some from every season including the promotion season), same old year in year out and (often) the same people claiming the same things as they are claiming in this thread - CH lost the dressing room, cant defend a lead, poor on set pieces, predictable football, definitely getting relegated, should do better with this squad blah blah. In a lot of cases it seems like the opinions about the managers are more often about about the people expressing the opinions rather than the managers themselves.

Those of you who spent years and years being "CH out" and now are spending time being "GP out" as well as claiming things that never turned out true, "gonna miss out on promotion / definitely get relegated bla bla"... have you ever thought about why no one is ever as good as yourself and your standards?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Just did some reading in a lot of old "CH In/Out" threads (there is some from every season including the promotion season), same old year in year out and (often) the same people claiming the same things as they are claiming in this thread - CH lost the dressing room, cant defend a lead, poor on set pieces, predictable football, definitely getting relegated, should do better with this squad blah blah. In a lot of cases it seems like the opinions about the managers are more often about about the people expressing the opinions rather than the managers themselves.

Those of you who spent years and years being "CH out" and now are spending time being "GP out" as well as claiming things that never turned out true, "gonna miss out on promotion / definitely get relegated bla bla"... have you ever thought about why no one is ever as good as yourself and your standards?

I think, and I wouldn’t really expect you to understand this, when you’ve actually supported the club for 35 years or more (like I have) spent thousands saving, supporting and living and breathing the Albion - you feel entitled, when afforded the platform ... well ... to have your say. Sometimes you call it right, more often wrong - we’re all human not some GP factual (unfeeling) algorithm based purely on stats...

I often apologise for my out there/outlandish wrongs but I am entitled to my opinion no matter how wrong I may be or indeed have been.

I’ve been mascot twice, in my younger days, and love this club - if I’m pessimistic re our chances it’s more a cautious optimism dressed up as criticism - imagine the worst and anything else is a huge bonus.

I want us to win, I want us to dream... I love my club.

Do you?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think, and I wouldn’t really expect you to understand this, when you’ve actually supported the club for 35 years or more (like I have) spent thousands saving, supporting and living and breathing the Albion - you feel entitled, when afforded the platform ... well ... to have your say. Sometimes you call it right, more often wrong - we’re all human not some GP factual (unfeeling) algorithm based purely on stats...

I often apologise for my out there/outlandish wrongs but I am entitled to my opinion no matter how wrong I may be or indeed have been.

I’ve been mascot twice, in my younger days, and love this club - if I’m pessimistic re our chances it’s more a cautious optimism dressed up as criticism - imagine the worst and anything else is a huge bonus.

Do you?

Entitled this entitled that. I used to play in Lunds FF and then spent five years there as a coach, heading to Smörlyckan three or four times a week for about ten years. Still, when I go to see games nowadays I never feel the urge or that Im entitled to go online and write "x is shit, y is shit, this guy should **** off, this guy I never want to see again". Even when they lose (= pretty much always).

Each to their own though, just think it goes too far sometimes. The "Hopefully the end of Connolly" thread thumbed up by plenty of Brighton supporters and sanctioned by mods followed by him not being present in the squad yesterday (I know he was injured but it still gave me a bad taste in my mouth) is just one of those things that makes me think people could shove their entitled opinions somewhere.

When things go well I often hear "Supporters ARE the club", rarely hear it when things go badly despite the likelihood of pouring out constant negativity is as harmful as singing for the team is helpful.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Entitled this entitled that. I used to play in Lunds FF and then spent five years there as a coach, heading to Smörlyckan three or four times a week for about ten years. Still, when I go to see games nowadays I never feel the urge or that Im entitled to go online and write "x is shit, y is shit, this guy should **** off, this guy I never want to see again". Even when they lose (= pretty much always).

Each to their own though, just think it goes too far sometimes. The "Hopefully the end of Connolly" thread thumbed up by plenty of Brighton supporters and sanctioned by mods followed by him not being present in the squad yesterday (I know he was injured but it still gave me a bad taste in my mouth) is just one of those things that makes me think people could shove their entitled opinions somewhere.

When things go well I often hear "Supporters ARE the club", rarely hear it when things go badly despite the likelihood of pouring out constant negativity is as harmful as singing for the team is helpful.

I try to refrain from being a prat and personal - attacking people and name calling, indeed I’ve actively avoided it on nearly all occasions. I do (on occasion) call for change, but only if I think the change is the right call - freely admitting I might be wrong.

Without going over old ground, it’s interesting to read your thoughts as an outsider in terms of ‘passion’ for the club - although I clearly recognise your passion re GP, his philosophy and brand. The thing is, I am (like you) entitled to my opinion, that isn’t to say I believe we at this level are entitled to ‘win’ - but I can dream of better than we’ve seen this season.

It’s interesting to read your credentials as a football person, but some of the worst pundits are brilliant ex players or indeed coaches - you can’t assume every fan who disagrees with your bias is wrong - not all the time at least. I can see that as an ex player criticism from the stands must be the hardest thing to handle, most of the time however it’s frustrated people venting rather than toxic personal attacks - the Connelly thread, was however, a bit too much for me too - so on that we agree... I’d use it as motivation personally - it’s a love hate thing, surely players and coaches get this.. ? it’s the nature of the modern game ... it’s not nice, but players can come back from these lows and often do... over to Aaron ... although GP might well drop him, not the fans.

That said, I find it wearisome in the extreme to read the same defence being made week in week out for the same failings - things need to improve or we will go down (almost certainly), how anyone can measure that’s as satisfactory progress is utterly beyond me... words fail me tbh.

Recruitment, coaching and the players are all to blame (in equal measure) they have to be... again, it’s tiresome that even well written constructive criticism is met with anger and derision - especially when one of the loudest voices happens to be a person who isn’t even a supporter of the club but a footballing man who ‘gets’ the GP science even if that science is seemingly fundamentally flawed... It’s the laboratory you see, it’s akin to a kids chemistry set, with GP trying to build a time machine... if he’s that out of touch with the pragmatic reality of the tools at his fingertips then the best we can hope for is a test tube that froths a bit and then smells.... ultimately the set will end up in the loft, until it’s eventual journey to the charity shop at the dingy end of town.

My opinion is my own - no matter how much you get cross and shouty - you’re losing this battle and the war will follow... your faith in GP will be an utter folly unless he gets ££££££ to upgrade his ‘science’, or pragmatic (? is he capable of this ?) and fast.

Avoiding relegation trumps perceived style - I had my doubts re GP when we approached Swansea and I still do. When we’re playing Swansea perhaps I’ll finally see them realised.

As ever it’s over to GP to ram those words down my throat... time will tell...

I hope I’m wrong (again, lol)

Last edited:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Do you?

Never apologise for your own opinion, I'm wrong all the time but I wouldn't apologise. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here